Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo install: speakers, subwoofer, amp, sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Where did you stash the microphone? Any pix of the install of that?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

I ran it under the dash and left door sill so that it is in on the top left of the dash pointing towards my mouth. People I call tell me it sounds fine. I used the microphone holder clip and the double sided tape provided by Alpine to fix to the very lower left part of the window. However the sun quickly turn that double sided tape into a mess. I need to get better 3M window tape.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:49 PM
ramans
Racer

Okay I ran mine up the windshield seal and then across to right above the mirror and tacked it up there with some black sugru. That way my passengers can talk and it's pretty much invisible
Old 01-11-2015, 11:02 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should i take the seat out to install the t-lock? Or can i do it with it on? My seat is broken now so it won't move forward/backward.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:43 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

I don't see how you can install a T-lock without removing the seat.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:13 AM
dlegault
AutoX

I removed the seat for mine. As RicardoD said, I can't fathom any way to install it without removing the seat.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:10 PM
ramans
Racer

Curious if anyone has looked at this Clarion underseat sub:
Amazon.com : Clarion Mobile Electronics SRV250 Powered Subwoofer : Vehicle Subwoofer Systems : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Clarion Mobile Electronics SRV250 Powered Subwoofer : Vehicle Subwoofer Systems : Car Electronics
it appears from my measurements that it might actually fit completely under the passenger seat. I've cut out a wood blank and it fits in two dimensions but I still need to remove the seat and really check it out.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Sullisean
5th Gear

I used the KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer from Kenwood under the drivers seat in my 91 C4. I think that this Kenwood unit is a little more slim that the Clarion. Mine is a very tight squeeze under the driver's seat, and would not have fit under the passengers seat with the amp, alarm, other stuff already there. Install the skinniest thing you can find.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM
ramans
Racer

Originally Posted by Sullisean
I used the KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer from Kenwood under the drivers seat in my 91 C4. I think that this Kenwood unit is a little more slim that the Clarion. Mine is a very tight squeeze under the driver's seat, and would not have fit under the passengers seat with the amp, alarm, other stuff already there. Install the skinniest thing you can find.
Oh really! I'll have to check that out, any pictures? I have a KSC-SW11 in m '71 and love it but I thought I'd read it wouldn't fit and there was less space under the drivers seat then passengers seat. I'd really love to stick a KSC-SW11 in my '90. IN the 90 thought the lock module isn't under the seat from my understanding, and in mine the factory amp isn't there so I Was hoping the clarion would fit in the same pace. Other mentions of the Kenwood was that it didn't fit, so I Didn't even go try.

Any photos per chance?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

So do these put out decent bass? Or just ruble things around a bit? My car has an aftermarket amp in the frunk, so i may have room under my seat for one. I am taking the seat off for the t lock, so i will see how much room is under there.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Sullisean
5th Gear

Sorry Ramans, no pics. The car is in storage for the winter. The unit sticks out about 2 inches into the footwell behind my seat. Half the time, I just pull it out completely and have it rest on the floor mat back there (less vibration in the seat that way). In a pinch, (with my wife and 2 kids in the car) I just unplug it and leave it at home.

Streetdaddy, if you're an audiophile, I doubt these units would deliver what you want. I just wanted to be able to hear the stereo with the top down. That said, I have been really happy with its performance. It has definitely exceeded my (low) expectations! The Kenwood unit was also very simple to install, and its super-easy to pull out if I want to reverse everything back to stock (one power wire, an on/off wire from the amp and the subwoofer RCAs directly from the headunit).
Old 01-12-2015, 04:29 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Ricardo, thanks for the tip on the JL Audio xd400/4. I was happy to get rid of my big amp in the frunk and install this neatly under the passenger seat. Unfortunately, my bass response took a hit too. Here is what I'm running now, and some impressions that I think may be of interest-

1. CDR-220 head unit.
2. JL Audio xd400/4 amp under the passenger seat
3. Infinity 60.9CS components in the front doors.
4. Infinity 42.9i 4" speakers in the rear (cabrio size).
5. Second Skin products soundproofing in various places.

I recently installed the JL Audio amp. Previously, I was using the Infinity 475a amp in the frunk. The sound with the Infinity amp was just about perfect to me. At high, but still reasonable, levels the sound was full, crisp, and had great bass response. The Infinity amp had a bass boost circuit that gave +6dB at 50Hz, which I had turned on for the front speakers. I think that was the key. With the new JL amp, the sound is still very good, maybe even slightly better clarity, but the bass response is greatly lacking.

The CDR-220 only has bass/treble tone control. The bass control seems to be a pretty wide Hz range and increasing it too much quickly makes the bass muddy. I don't know if a head unit with fancier eq abilities could imitate the old amp's bass boost response or not, but I do like the looks of the CDR-220.

I had some soundproofing already in the doors- damplifier (like dynamat) on the outside skin, and a 1/4" closed cell foam behind the 6.75" speakers. With the Infinity amp, the bass was excellent for everything outside of extreme/thumping hip hop/etc., which isn't my thing anyway. When I installed the JL amp, I removed the crumbling old foam foot well sound proofing in the front and rear. I replaced it by laying down some damplifier and then using second skin's luxury liner mat. So there is damplifier in the door skins, and on the floors all the way from under the dash to the back seat, including beneath the driver/passenger seats. Then a layer of luxury liner mat over the entire floor except beneath the seats (no room). The difference is very noticeable, even in a noisy cabrio. I still need to finish up the floors by cutting some aluminum sheet to lay under the carpet to even out the floor in the foot well. Probably with a thin layer of closed cell foam between the aluminum and the carpet. In the end, this is maybe 15lbs of additional weight, almost all in the lowest part of the car. We took a 2,000 mile trip over the holidays and the car was very very comfortable. No noise type driving fatigue that I noticed.

Who says you can't have a smooth highway cruiser + summertime cabrio + competitive a/x + winter awd combination?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:27 PM
ramans
Racer

Doing a little more research I ran across these http://www.earthquakesound.com/index...cts/item/sws65 which are a 6.5" subwoofer that you can they claim install anywhere. I'm curious about taking this and say a mini amp like this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA1.html and basically building a box that would easily fit under the passenger or drivers seat, for a nice clean hidden install. Any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:55 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by -nick
Ricardo, thanks for the tip on the JL Audio xd400/4. I was happy to get rid of my big amp in the frunk and install this neatly under the passenger seat. Unfortunately, my bass response took a hit too. Here is what I'm running now, and some impressions that I think may be of interest-

1. CDR-220 head unit.
2. JL Audio xd400/4 amp under the passenger seat
3. Infinity 60.9CS components in the front doors.
4. Infinity 42.9i 4" speakers in the rear (cabrio size).
5. Second Skin products soundproofing in various places.

I recently installed the JL Audio amp. Previously, I was using the Infinity 475a amp in the frunk. The sound with the Infinity amp was just about perfect to me. At high, but still reasonable, levels the sound was full, crisp, and had great bass response. The Infinity amp had a bass boost circuit that gave +6dB at 50Hz, which I had turned on for the front speakers. I think that was the key. With the new JL amp, the sound is still very good, maybe even slightly better clarity, but the bass response is greatly lacking.

The CDR-220 only has bass/treble tone control. The bass control seems to be a pretty wide Hz range and increasing it too much quickly makes the bass muddy. I don't know if a head unit with fancier eq abilities could imitate the old amp's bass boost response or not, but I do like the looks of the CDR-220.

I had some soundproofing already in the doors- damplifier (like dynamat) on the outside skin, and a 1/4" closed cell foam behind the 6.75" speakers. With the Infinity amp, the bass was excellent for everything outside of extreme/thumping hip hop/etc., which isn't my thing anyway. When I installed the JL amp, I removed the crumbling old foam foot well sound proofing in the front and rear. I replaced it by laying down some damplifier and then using second skin's luxury liner mat. So there is damplifier in the door skins, and on the floors all the way from under the dash to the back seat, including beneath the driver/passenger seats. Then a layer of luxury liner mat over the entire floor except beneath the seats (no room). The difference is very noticeable, even in a noisy cabrio. I still need to finish up the floors by cutting some aluminum sheet to lay under the carpet to even out the floor in the foot well. Probably with a thin layer of closed cell foam between the aluminum and the carpet. In the end, this is maybe 15lbs of additional weight, almost all in the lowest part of the car. We took a 2,000 mile trip over the holidays and the car was very very comfortable. No noise type driving fatigue that I noticed.

Who says you can't have a smooth highway cruiser + summertime cabrio + competitive a/x + winter awd combination?
Make sure you did not get a speaker out of phase, this could be why you lost some punch.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Ricardo,
How is that sub working out? Easy to remove if need be? Would you do it again the same way?

Quick Reply: Stereo install: speakers, subwoofer, amp, sound insulation