Sponsored by:

Stereo install: speakers, subwoofer, amp, sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:18 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Sullisean,

Looks like Laker did almost the exact same install as you (see one of my reference links in my first post). My harness was already hacked up by the radio from a previous install.

It is very easy to route new cabling from the head unit to under the passenger seat as I show in one my photos if needed. Not need to cut any of the 8 pin DIN cabling, you would just be adding new cabling.

Any upgrade you do from stock will sound so much better. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

964tt,
Did they put the dynamat over the plastic on your doors?
Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Ok, one final step, and I can't believe I didn't think of this before.

I downloaded an RTA app (real time analyzer) for my iPad (same for iPhone, called "RTA" for $9.99) so I could play back pink noise (all frequencies at equal level) through my car stereo system and try and use the built in parametric EQ in my Alpine head unit to get a flat frequency response. The app generates a pink noise test tone and then listens back and displays the frequency response. I couldn't get the test tone to work through my iPad so I just hooked up my iPhone and used my Test Tone app to generate the pink noise.

Even though these RTA apps running on an iPhone are definitely not lab grade equipment the reviews indicate they are good enough.

Listening over the past few days I could tell things were a bit too bright and the middle seemed lost. But there are so many bands and settings in the parametric EQ you end up chasing your tail if doing it by ear.

So I put in some earplugs since I don't need to hear pink noise at high volume, and then turned on the pink noise. Then I raised the volume on my head unit to get a good response on the RTA graph.

I played around with best iPad position that had the same response as I had at ear level. Then I went into the Alpine parametric EQ and starting fiddling away. Its pretty neat to play around with the EQ settings and see an instant response in the frequency response. You basically fiddle away until you get things as flat as possible, in my case targeting 70 in the attached graph.

I then hooked up my iPod Classic and played different bits of music and was smiling from ear to ear. I had improved my sound system to the next level! Everything was so much more balanced, as expected. Also this helped me adjust my Subwoofer crossover setting (was at 80hz and raised it to 120hz).

Highly recommend this approach to do a poor man's calibration.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
natstalgia (12-31-2023)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Being based in the SF Bay Area, I'd love to come give your 964's stereo a listen sometime so that I have a reference point to aspire to when DIYing my stereo overhaul in my 993.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 AM
964TT
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
964tt,
Did they put the dynamat over the plastic on your doors?
No, I need to redo the plastic, its gone.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Ricardo,
Did u treat the doors? I have been reading on sounddeadener forum about adding mlv and ccf to decouple. Along with a little vibration damper. Im guessing you didnt want to take off plastic. I dont blame you.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:46 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I did a little treatment on the doors, placing dynamat extreme on top of the plastic where there was flat sheet metal underneath.

You could just dynamat everywhere on top of the plastic.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Wonder if it dampens vibration on top of plastic?

I saw on web where you can place mlv on back of rear seats, too. For extra layer of absorption.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM
hamah
Pro

Very cool. Can you upload the alpine settings using the app so I can try them out?

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Ok, one final step, and I can't believe I didn't think of this before.

I downloaded an RTA app (real time analyzer) for my iPad (same for iPhone, called "RTA" for $9.99) so I could play back pink noise (all frequencies at equal level) through my car stereo system and try and use the built in parametric EQ in my Alpine head unit to get a flat frequency response. The app generates a pink noise test tone and then listens back and displays the frequency response. I couldn't get the test tone to work through my iPad so I just hooked up my iPhone and used my Test Tone app to generate the pink noise.

Even though these RTA apps running on an iPhone are definitely not lab grade equipment the reviews indicate they are good enough.

Listening over the past few days I could tell things were a bit too bright and the middle seemed lost. But there are so many bands and settings in the parametric EQ you end up chasing your tail if doing it by ear.

So I put in some earplugs since I don't need to hear pink noise at high volume, and then turned on the pink noise. Then I raised the volume on my head unit to get a good response on the RTA graph.

I played around with best iPad position that had the same response as I had at ear level. Then I went into the Alpine parametric EQ and starting fiddling away. Its pretty neat to play around with the EQ settings and see an instant response in the frequency response. You basically fiddle away until you get things as flat as possible, in my case targeting 70 in the attached graph.

I then hooked up my iPod Classic and played different bits of music and was smiling from ear to ear. I had improved my sound system to the next level! Everything was so much more balanced, as expected. Also this helped me adjust my Subwoofer crossover setting (was at 80hz and raised it to 120hz).

Highly recommend this approach to do a poor man's calibration.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:09 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Hamah,

I was thinking I better go in and write all the settings down. I think I will take a quick photo of the key settings. Also, I regret not taking the before snapshot on the RTA. I may get a chance to play around with this later tonight and reply.

The RTA app was $9.99 and it should produce the tone for you as well if you only use an iPhone. You can even plug in external USB mics of higher quality. Not sure how the calibration works.

There are so many settings its enough to make your head spin. Thank goodness my setup is relatively simple and as I stated early, I turned my rear speakers off.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

So you are ditching the rears,huh?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:48 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Hamah,

Here are my settings which are specific to my car, my speakers, my amp, and my setup. This is also a record for me in case I loose the settings. I can't image this would be any good in your car.

I've also attached a picture of the subwoofer. You are supposed to screw this into your car. Rod gives you drywall screws to do this. However, I don't have the heart to drive screws into my car. I think thats crazy. Yes, getting a better seal improves the subwoofer performance but it sounds great to me already without blindly driving screws into the floor of my car! (wish the cashmere carpet matched better. I sent a swatch but this was the best he could do apparently).

Code:
ALPINE CDE-149BT

Sublevel: 7 
Subwoofer:  ON
Subwoofer System: System 2
Subwoofer Phase: 180º 

Power IC : OFF (turns off my rear speaker driven by internal head unit amp)
MX Setup: OFF

TCR Parameter: inches
T-Correction
F-L Delay: 10.7 inch
SW-L & SW-R: 10.7 inch
(introduces delay into the front left speaker and subwoofer such that the speaker sound hits
 my head at the same time. Puts the soundstage right in front of you.  My favorite tweak of the head unit.)

Spatial: OFF

X Over:
Ch Front Freq: 80Hz  Slope: 12dB/octave  Level: 0
Ch Rear Freq: 200Hz Slope: 12dB/octave  Level: 0  
Ch SubW Freq: 125Hz Slope: 12dB/octave Level 0

Factory EQ: User
Parametric EQ:
BAND            Freq        Q       Level
1               63Hz       3.0       0
2               100Hz      5.0       -6
3               250Hz      3.0       -5
4               500Hz      3.0       -4
5               800Hz      3.0       +1
6               1.6 kHz    3.0       +3
7               4.0 kHz    5.0       +5
8               6.4 kHz    3.0       -2          
9               16 kHz     3.0       -1
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 PM
hamah
Pro

Too bad about the carpet match, mine was pretty much spot on. It is a pretty discreet install so it won't be obvious unless you go looking for it.

I also balked at using the screws but in the end I drilled the holes, cut the excess screw material off and used some sort of heavy duty rubbery sealer (the shop I use did that for me when I was in for something else). I figured while my car was in great shape it was hardly concours condition so the few extra holes won't matter in the long run. Certainly no more than drill ing holes in the door metal or enlarging the speaker opening in door cards.

Thanks for the settings. At least it will give me a good place to start. Have you played with the app at all? You should just upload the settings using it. Makes it really easy to play around with the EQ etc on the HU. Probably the thing I like most about the HU after the clarity of the display in sunlight (not perfect but a lot better than the Excelon).
Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Hamah,

Thanks for reminding me about the Alpine Tune-it App. My first take was this the app was some kinda of social media BS. But if it has a nice user interface for the EQ settings I will take a look.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

I received my template today. Thanks, Ricardo!
I was thinking of using mass loaded vinyl for sound deadening. Do you think it would be a pain to make all the bends in the rear area? How flexible and easy to work into the folds was the dynapad?

Quick Reply: Stereo install: speakers, subwoofer, amp, sound insulation