Sponsored by:

Works Bell universal paddle shifter installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Works Bell universal paddle shifter installed

OK guys, I changed my steering wheel and hope you like this one instead of the wood one I showed you earlier. I also installed a Works Bell universal paddle shifter here. http://www.myalbum.com/Album=34ETGKQ3
Attached Images     

Last edited by Arrowhead; 05-31-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

ooops! I messed up on the link and just changed it.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:29 PM
Alivreal
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is due to arrive on Monday. Looks awesome. Been waiting since March for mine.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:32 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, nice job. How does it feel when driving, like it is supposed to be there or like a nice add-on?
Old 05-31-2014, 12:39 PM
Arrowhead
Instructor

I ordered mine from Tuners Group and it took 2 1/2 months to arrive. The paddle shifter feels at home just as if it came from the factory like that. I love it
Old 05-31-2014, 01:05 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Cool, I've been tempted in the past but I'm one of the few that like the original non-airbag steering wheel; I don't think the paddles can be fitted with this wheel or even if they could they wouldn't look right IMO

Hoping to see them in person at some point so I can make my mind up. There are plenty of nice aftermarket wheels, like yours, that I'm sure might make me change my mind.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:37 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dig the wheel,thats a hell of an upgrade
Old 05-31-2014, 03:44 PM
Alivreal
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arrowhead
OK guys, I changed my steering and hope you like this one instead of the wood one I showed you earlier. I also installed a Works Bell universal paddle shifter here. http://www.myalbum.com/Album=34ETGKQ3
could you let me know where you purchased the ring which surrounds the horn push please?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:23 PM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Default horn ring

I bought this wheel used on Ebay and the horn ring came with it. Try Momo steering wheel horn ring on Ebay search.
Originally Posted by Alivreal
could you let me know where you purchased the ring which surrounds the horn push please?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Default paddles

Ok, here in the US 1991's came with air bag steering wheels so I changed my airbag steering wheel to non airbag wheel so I could install the paddle shifter. If you have a non air bag steering wheel you cannot install the paddles without an outside wire hanging down under your column and being twisted around as you steer. You need a go between which is the steering wheel clock spring which non airbag steering wheels do not have. Did I say this correct?
Originally Posted by J81 JKR
Cool, I've been tempted in the past but I'm one of the few that like the original non-airbag steering wheel; I don't think the paddles can be fitted with this wheel or even if they could they wouldn't look right IMO

Hoping to see them in person at some point so I can make my mind up. There are plenty of nice aftermarket wheels, like yours, that I'm sure might make me change my mind.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:38 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Wheel is a massive improvement and the paddles look like factory parts
Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 PM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks awesome. I would love to know what you think after some aggressive driving. I think I could be easily talked into that set up!
Old 06-01-2014, 04:25 PM
circleswim
Advanced

That looks much better than mine without the cable hanging down.

was it just the original clock spring you used? Might have a look into getting one as my car never had an airbag...
Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Default paddle shifter

I am proud of my self because I came up with this idea myself. I have never seen or heard of any body installing the Works Bell universal paddle shifter using an air bag clock spring. I wasn't sure it was going to work but I couldn't see why not. I went ahead and bought a used steering wheel and a used clock spring on Ebay cheap as I wanted to save my originals I also bought a 2 1/2" steering wheel spacer. I originally viewed circleswim 's post here https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tiptronic.html on rennlist to get the wiring down but he ended with a wire hanging down from under the wheel and I knew I didn't want that. The only draw back with this setup is that you loose the horn function on the wheel but I am going to install a small black horn button on the lower left side of the dash where there is a factory indent for something and I am ok with that. There is a lot more to this install and it's not for the weak. As far as you using a clock spring in your non air bag setup I am not sure it will facilitate one. You will have to investigate.
Originally Posted by circleswim
That looks much better than mine without the cable hanging down.

was it just the original clock spring you used? Might have a look into getting one as my car never had an airbag...

Last edited by Arrowhead; 06-02-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arrowhead
I am proud of my self because I came up with this idea myself. I have never seen or heard of any body installing the Works Bell universal paddle shifter using an air bag clock spring. I wasn't sure it was going to work but I couldn't see why not. I went ahead and bought a used steering wheel and a used clock spring on Ebay cheap as I wanted to save my originals I also bought a 2 1/2" steering wheel spacer. I originally viewed circleswim 's post here on rennlist to get the wiring down but he ended with a wire hanging down from under the wheel and I knew I didn't want that. The only draw back with this setup is that you loose the horn function on the wheel but I am going to install a small black horn button on the lower left side of the dash where there is a factory indent for something and I am ok with that. There is a lot more to this install and it's not for the weak. As far as you using a clock spring in your non air bag setup I am not sure it will facilitate one. You will have to investigate.
Can you not connect your horn like this?:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...beep-beep.html

Quick Reply: Works Bell universal paddle shifter installed