Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 964tit
It's amusing how much hate Singer's get. It just seems like "tall-poppy" syndrome to me...people just love to attack the successful guy....

Really - Rob had an idea of his ideal 911. Frequent requests to buy the 'brown bomber' revealed a business opportunity. The guy with the brain saw an opportunity to connect his passion with a market and he created a business to meet that demand. Bravo!

They make beautiful products and there's obviously enough demand to support the business.

No one's making you buy a Singer.

Can't we just enjoy the cars? Even the ****ty ones are often interesting!
Totally agree with you 964tit.

As a guy who spent a week with Rob, John and Tim organising and assembling the first Singer to get it to the public reveal at Monterey I can testify that there is no lack of passion and belief about what Rob is trying to achieve with these cars. After the first day of the show the whole team sat around the dining table eating Pizza whilst me, Rob, Tina & co discussed the business plan, the build costs involved and the resulting selling price of the finished car, later on once the beer came out I also advised him that they were mad to build the car from a 3.2 Carrera and that he should start on the 964 platform to reduce fabrication and assembly costs, otherwise he would never recover the $1M investment made at that stage. I'm glad (and a little proud) to see that he's definitely made the most of that suggestion and seems to have a successful business forming.

Singer cars are bespoke, boutique creations that are being bought by people who can afford them; those that can't borrow the ideas that they like and either build their own (cheaper) versions or have companies do the same. Love them or hate them, I think they will be many more sold as long as there are 964's available to build them from.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Is it really "Tall Poppy" syndrome?
I don't see anyone attacking Ruf for being "Tall Poppies."
I think it's a "value for money judgment"...and many more Porsche enthusiasts can see it in Ruf's products than in Rob's.
We live in a world where "bling supplants understatement, personality is confused with character, excess is confused with excellence & openness is confused with integrity."
Ruf did the hard graft of producing understated products laden with engineering integrity - most people can see the value there. They took bigger risks, shed more sweat, furrowed more brows and burnt more candles to build their own five & six speed gearboxes (CTR), their own bespoke V8 engine(RGT-8), their own twin-turbo 911 engine(CTR & CTR2), to address the 911's aerodynamic issues(CTR), their own original product (CTR3) etc. All done in-house. No mean achievement - does that make Ruf "Tall Poppies?" Absolutely - and deservedly so!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:48 AM
keynes
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Watch Leno talk about one of his stupid electric or steam cars. He is all animated, excited and in awe of the vehicle. On the Singer clip he mumbles, makes fun of the metrosexual luggage, asks is it a hot rod, it has no hotrod stuff (paraphrase). Rob talks/mumbles into his hat about "vision" and "saving the car (964) from a questionable future" sweet, save my neighbors 964 so mine would be worth more.

The Singer is simply a resto mod in a cosmetic reverse if you will. Nice car no doubt, but if you are buying one, pls see me about real estate opportunities.

Keynes
Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Cole Trickle
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg1990964
I think the word they are struggling for is backdate. Annoying watching them struggle to come up with a term.
Am I the only person that would rather have the look of a 964 then the mid 60's early 70's look?
No you're not alone there....I do have an issue with singer pulling apart real porsches to construct their cars. I also have an issue with them claiming they are the ultimate Porsche. If I want after market spec Porsche I want RUF. They focus on the performance and don't add what can be considered gimmicks to an already pretty flawless piece of engineering and design. What can I say I am a purist and it seems with singer to be a bit like someone buying up Picassos and doing some doodling over the top.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Cole Trickle
AutoX

Originally Posted by g60pops
+1
Agreed. You're starting with an amazing shape and know where it can be taken performance wise by likes of RUF. To pioneer that could be special but this is just another toy for the rich man. Rev counter goes up to 11!! don't make me laugh. I agree it's an amazing machine but it ceases to be an original car..And surely what you want is an original car.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 AM
964tit
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Nope. No one's attacking RUF. They're bloody good too.

They're also not the 'new kids on the block' like Singer are. They have 'proven' themselves...

Ruf were also unlikely subject to these sort of sentiments when they started out because they were working on new cars - and people weren't obsessed with those new cars becoming scarce or their market value.

It's like Techart changing 991's and 997's - less people are likely to care because those cars are new and not appreciating.

You can't really say that Singer is just about 'bling' - the extensive engine and chassis work aren't really just 'bling'...there's true engineering in there. I guess the conceptual difference is that Ruf is run by engineers and Singer is run by designers - so their approach to the product is different...

Anyway - I enjoy seeing their work. I enjoy reading/hearing about their creative process and business model. It's interesting. That goes for all of these companies...

Can't afford an Ruf or Singer - so it's all pictures on the internet to me...

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
I think it's a "value for money judgment"...and many more Porsche enthusiasts can see it in Ruf's products than in Rob's.
We live in a world where "bling supplants understatement, personality is confused with character, excess is confused with excellence & openness is confused with integrity."
Ruf did the hard graft of producing understated products laden with engineering integrity - most people can see the value there. They took bigger risks, shed more sweat, furrowed more brows and burnt more candles to build their own five & six speed gearboxes (CTR), their own bespoke V8 engine(RGT-8), their own twin-turbo 911 engine(CTR & CTR2), to address the 911's aerodynamic issues(CTR), their own original product (CTR3) etc. All done in-house. No mean achievement - does that make Ruf "Tall Poppies?" Absolutely - and deservedly so!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 964tit
Nope. No one's attacking RUF. They're bloody good too.

They're also not the 'new kids on the block' like Singer are. They have 'proven' themselves...

Ruf were also unlikely subject to these sort of sentiments when they started out because they were working on new cars - and people weren't obsessed with those new cars becoming scarce or their market value.

It's like Techart changing 991's and 997's - less people are likely to care because those cars are new and not appreciating.

You can't really say that Singer is just about 'bling' - the extensive engine and chassis work aren't really just 'bling'...there's true engineering in there. I guess the conceptual difference is that Ruf is run by engineers and Singer is run by designers - so their approach to the product is different...

Anyway - I enjoy seeing their work. I enjoy reading/hearing about their creative process and business model. It's interesting. That goes for all of these companies...

Can't afford an Ruf or Singer - so it's all pictures on the internet to me...
Don't worry that is the case for the majority of us!
Any pics of your 964?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cole Trickle
Agreed. You're starting with an amazing shape and know where it can be taken performance wise by likes of RUF. To pioneer that could be special but this is just another toy for the rich man. Rev counter goes up to 11!! don't make me laugh. I agree it's an amazing machine but it ceases to be an original car..And surely what you want is an original car.
I think we find it funny for diffrent reasons...

Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by reed
I think you're confusing things. The Ruf is the Michelangelo: innovative, challenging, unique, pioneering. The Singer is the rose gold Patek with pavé diamonds on the face. If you love cars, buy a Ruf; if you love jewelry, buy a Singer.
If I'm confused then the rest of the credible automobile world is confused too. The Singer product has been repeatedly named the pinnacle of 911 form. You can find the relevant commentary in top gear, chris harris, evo, automobile mag, etc. Here is one of the many you might want to read before commenting:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/sin...ive-2012-02-02

"Singer has expanded the vocabulary of this Porsche while retaining the basic, satisfying, recognisable grammar. It is one of the best things I've driven in a very long time. The upshot? A very simple conclusion. The most exciting car ever built by Porsche... isn't."

Chris Harris said its his "perfect car". So you are saying these guys don't love cars? Or they don't know what they are talking about but you do.

The car is the opposite of the 'pave diamond'.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:09 AM
porschapete91
Instructor

They should call it the "stinger" If you pay that sort of money for a dressed up 964 you have been stung
Old 01-31-2014, 04:11 AM
Cole Trickle
AutoX

Originally Posted by fuch
I think we find it funny for diffrent reasons...

Haha yeah thanks I get the reference to spinal tap. I guess unless you have the means to buy a singer it's hard to get it. I think I speak for most saying you'd rather have an original '73 RS parked in your garage but sure if you can have that and then a singer as well that's great. I also understand money talks and if the 964s are priced where they are it remains economically viable to singerize them. One point I do think with 911s however is that even 30-40 years later these cars still perform impressively and have superb build quality. I understand the demand for rebuilding something like a lambo countach..It's apparently a pig to drive. But that isn't true of 911s. Original cars stand the test of time and are revered for their respectable pace (despite their age) and handling. Of all the sports cars made in the last 50 years the 911 seems the strongest all-round example. But then singer clearly have an exclusive market for their products so good luck to them.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:08 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
If I'm confused then the rest of the credible automobile world is confused too. The Singer product has been repeatedly named the pinnacle of 911 form. You can find the relevant commentary in top gear, chris harris, evo, automobile mag, etc. Here is one of the many you might want to read before commenting: http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/sin...ive-2012-02-02 "Singer has expanded the vocabulary of this Porsche while retaining the basic, satisfying, recognisable grammar. It is one of the best things I've driven in a very long time. The upshot? A very simple conclusion. The most exciting car ever built by Porsche... isn't." Chris Harris said its his "perfect car". So you are saying these guys don't love cars? Or they don't know what they are talking about but you do. The car is the opposite of the 'pave diamond'.
Just stop talking. It's getting embarrassing.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:51 AM
Haves1979
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genuinely baffled why the singer (not the price) is so polarizing, and surprised anyone who likes Porsches doesn't think its gorgeous.. Also surely if it is a fad you could revert to 964 form and still have an amazing car down the line.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:45 AM
Cole Trickle
AutoX

Originally Posted by eatbreathedrive
+1! What he said!
+2........Two clips which I think put an end to this discussion. If you want the real deal no bullsh1t ultimate 911 derivative.

RUF RUF RUF RUF RUF RUF RUF ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- I want this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 AM
reed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
Don't forget the Singer's wiring harness. They seem particularly proud of it.

Quick Reply: Singer on Jay Leno