me and my 964: an intro

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
Mark Mathis has the Rsr ones second hand from Flyin Lizard
But a few of us have used the merc a1 pump with great success, it's smaller and you lose less trunk space.

Car looks spectacular!
Spoke with my shop and they actually talked me out of it. Maybe a project for down the road. Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by porsche mania
Just seen this thread, car looks amazing. Wish mine was shiny! I'm about to order the rs uprights and would appreciate any advice you can give regarding any issues or modifications needed that arise during installation. Gonna go back to page 1 and get started!
Thanks. As for the uprights, I didn't install them. Seemed fairly straightforward from what I saw. If you'd like I can find a full list of parts that were replaced
Old 09-06-2015, 02:25 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Spoke with my shop and they actually talked me out of it. Maybe a project for down the road. Thanks for the advice
i love mine out ... no more leaks, more space at the back, loss of weight and transfer of weight to front, spins up like a baby turbine jet when key turns ... lots of wins so would be keen to hear why your shop doesn't like it or just pm me
Old 09-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

+1, why doesn't the shop like the electric pump idea?
Old 09-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Default me and my 964: an intro

It's not that they don't like it, they told me it's a lot of added cost and labor for not a lot gained. I'd be looking at 1,500 for the part plus labor and some other fabrication, vs 750 for a new pump.
He's done a bunch of these conversions for tracked caymans.
Just out of curiosity how's the steering feel of the electric ps vs mechanical?
Old 09-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I still have the OE lump, but the electric conversion is on my to-do list, probably the first time I drop the motor the OE crap will be removed.

Several others on here have electric pumps (KaiB, robt964, HiWind, Gus, the stolen JouJaam car). As HiWind pointed out, there are other options on the PS pump besides the GT3 Cup pump that is $$$$. Some use a Mercedes A-class pump and some use a 3rd-gen MR2 pump. 2nd-gen MR2 pumps work too, however the reservoir and pump are separate components. These pumps can be had for like $300. After that it's a bracket, a few hoses, a bulkhead fitting to cross the tub, and that's about it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-steering.html
^note Steve Weiner's endorsement

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ca-stolen.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tle-leaks.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-refurb-7.html

Maybe it's just me, but I definitely wouldn't drop $750 on replacing/reconditioning the OE PS setup. No friggin' way.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:15 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

^^ some good reading for sure. Lots of good looking solutions, but none seem to be an improvement more than a "seat of the pants" feel. I'll just stick to oem solution for now I guess
Old 09-07-2015, 05:12 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A list of parts for the uprights would be great, if you've got part numbers even better!
Old 09-08-2015, 03:42 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Default me and my 964: an intro

Originally Posted by porsche mania
A list of parts for the uprights would be great, if you've got part numbers even better!
Here's a pic of the parts list. I'm assuming s few things won't apply as I went from a 964>>993tt caliper adapter, to having just the 993 parts. I don't have part numbers but this list should be very comprehensive.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2015, 06:24 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really grateful for the list so thanks, the main bit I'm trying to figure out is the tie rod assembly. When I've searched some people have had to chop down and cut new threads but don't know if that's because they haven't bought all the bits. I'm trying to keep my mechanic happy, he doesn't believe me anymore when I say it should bolt right up, especially after fitting the 993 master cylinder! Thanks again for the help, Jim.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Haven't updated this since then work was done.

Let's see... I think every system in the car has officially been addressed. My ac even works now, and pretty well too. I guess I'll keep it for now. Haven't had much time to drive. New job. Got out for a cruise yesterday. Finished with a car wash and then a lobster roll by the water. The car had a small crowd when I got back which is always kinda fun. I'm very pleased with where it sits today. It's come an awfully long way from the misrepresented ****box that showed up at my door. Between bill at eurotech, Phil at sansosio auto body, with some beautiful wheels by butzi gear , I'd say this car has been rescued. Getting super close to 120k miles. I can't imagine selling it anytime soon.
I moved two weeks ago. She finally has her own garage which is so nice. My new favorite thing is opening the garage and seeing the car. I even reverse in so I see those h4s fand torpedo fenders first. Waiting to get my bike back from the shop so the pcar gets its roommate back. Garage needs some upgrades. I'll end up doing a gray epoxy floor, maybe add some triumph and Porsche memorabilia or at come springtime.
Added a jeep Cherokee to the stable. Found a rust free 2001 xj that's currently at my brothers shop for led headlights, old man emu lift, 31s and new wheels too. Probably going to tint the windows, add an remote starter and have the interior and exterior detailed just so It feels like men. I haven't actually seen the xj yet, but my brother (jeep mechanic) was shocked by how clean it is. My fourth jeep, and I plan on holding onto this one. I think it compliments the pcar perfectly.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:13 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't updated this since then work was done.

Let's see... I think every system in the car has officially been addressed. My ac even works now, and pretty well too. I guess I'll keep it for now. Haven't had much time to drive. New job. Got out for a cruise yesterday. Finished with a car wash and then a lobster roll by the water. The car had a small crowd when I got back which is always kinda fun. I'm very pleased with where it sits today. It's come an awfully long way from the misrepresented ****box that showed up at my door. Between bill at eurotech, Phil at sansosio auto body, with some beautiful wheels by butzi gear , I'd say this car has been rescued. Getting super close to 120k miles. I can't imagine selling it anytime soon.
I moved two weeks ago. She finally has her own garage which is so nice. My new favorite thing is opening the garage and seeing the car. I even reverse in so I see those h4s fand torpedo fenders first. Waiting to get my bike back from the shop so the pcar gets its roommate back. Garage needs some upgrades. I'll end up doing a gray epoxy floor, maybe add some triumph and Porsche memorabilia or at come springtime.
Added a jeep Cherokee to the stable. Found a rust free 2001 xj that's currently at my brothers shop for led headlights, old man emu lift, 31s and new wheels too. Probably going to tint the windows, add an remote starter and have the interior and exterior detailed just so It feels like men. I haven't actually seen the xj yet, but my brother (jeep mechanic) was shocked by how clean it is. My fourth jeep, and I plan on holding onto this one. I think it compliments the pcar perfectly.

good for you and well deserved. One of my favourite threads on here - DONT SELL THE CAR
Old 11-03-2015, 03:40 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Busy few weeks. Went to first class fitment at the Princeton no aiport. I don't really do car shows but this one is pretty cool. Great cross section of the car wold.
This past weekend was the 13th annual yuppieracing.net cape run, benefitting the nor well food bank. Always a great time. Car ran great on both occasions. The cape run was fun to see how much better she is a year later on the same roads. The get evo uprights make a world of difference

Old 11-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Finally found a suitable storage situation for the winter. About an hour from my home, but it's heated with electricity, pest control measures and security. My jeep will get the garage for the winter which is nice.
Big winter project is going to address gearing. Spoke with Steve Weiner about an itb setup, and this is where to conversation led. Pretty cool that I called prepared to spend $$ and he spends 40 minutes over the phone with me weighing out options, discussing the goals for the car, and some just general fun car banter. What a solid guy. Those of you out west have one hell of an asset.
So to regear the 5 speed, buy a six speed, or buy the 6 speed and rebuild that as well..
I have several gear ratio charts from my shop to consider...
Option 1, five speed, regear 2-4, leave 5th as a cruising gear. So shifting into 5th would be like hitting a wall in terms of acceleration
Option 2, five speed, regear 2-5. Have a closer ratio box but top out at 140. 80mph would be around 3800rpm.
Option 3. Stock 993 box. I believe the one I have available is a g50/20.. Unsure at the moment.
Option 4. Regear the 6 speed. 3-5, or 3-6

Also looking for a set of gauges to have redone. Don't want to pull mine. Rather have a set to sell when it's all said and done.
Lastly, some cool fabric for my pole
Position seat centers..

Hoping winter won't be too long this year.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:09 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

About time I update this. Put the car in storage two weeks ago. Was a cold day and I just beat the rain pulling in. Go figure it's been beautiful out ever since. Just my luck.
Anyway, onto the good news. 6 speed project is a go. Plan is to regear it first things first the shop has to tear it down to see what we're working with. No rush as its gonna be a long winter. Side project is to find a trimmer to redo my seat centers. I'm fairly sold on doing a black/white pasha fabric. Should be pretty cool
Old 12-18-2015, 11:07 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

...Big winter project is going to address gearing. Spoke with Steve Weiner about an itb setup, and this is where to conversation led. Pretty cool that I called prepared to spend $$ and he spends 40 minutes over the phone with me weighing out options, discussing the goals for the car, and some just general fun car banter. What a solid guy. Those of you out west have one hell of an asset.
So to regear the 5 speed, buy a six speed, or buy the 6 speed and rebuild that as well..
I have several gear ratio charts from my shop to consider...
Option 1, five speed, regear 2-4, leave 5th as a cruising gear. So shifting into 5th would be like hitting a wall in terms of acceleration
Option 2, five speed, regear 2-5. Have a closer ratio box but top out at 140. 80mph would be around 3800rpm.
Option 3. Stock 993 box. I believe the one I have available is a g50/20.. Unsure at the moment.
Option 4. Regear the 6 speed. 3-5, or 3-6

Also looking for a set of gauges to have redone. Don't want to pull mine. Rather have a set to sell when it's all said and done.
Lastly, some cool fabric for my pole
Position seat centers..

Hoping winter won't be too long this year.
Can't wait until I make the call to Steve... but it will probably to 10 years. Don't retire!
Love reading about these choices though. Going to be mega.

...Side project is to find a trimmer to redo my seat centers. I'm fairly sold on doing a black/white pasha fabric. Should be pretty cool
Speaking of pasha. Fuel flap!

Quick Reply: me and my 964: an intro