Sponsored by:

964 Newcomer! Amethyst content

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 09:41 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 Newcomer! Amethyst content

I got myself into a car that I've patiently been waiting for, and finally the right deal came up.

I stumbled upon this gem in Logan, OH, which is around 2 hours away from me, at a price I could not argue. It's a '91 Porsche 911 C2 with 104k miles, recent top-end reseal, and an acceptable amount of records that made me feel comfortable.

I'm no stranger to turning wrenches and have access to a lift, so during my visit with the car the PO agreed to let me give it a good look over and I picked it apart with an unofficial PPI checklist and was satisfied with what I found. I know another member here on Rennlist took the car somewhere local for a PPI at a dealership(I believe Byers), where they pointed out paint corrections that I think scared the potential buyer away. Manufacture date of the engine is November of '90 which is real close to where the headgasket changeover began, and upon inspection, the engine serial revealed *62M06632 which, from what I understand is a few hundred short of the change(someone prove me wrong). Seeing as this car has 100k, I'm thinking there's a very good chance it's already had the TSB/Recall done, or it's been done by the original owner at some point, judging by the cleanliness found when removing the undertrays. A visit to one of my local dealers to get info on the VIN is soon to come.

Pretty happy about the color as it is considered the less common Amethyst Pearl, and the car itself is far from perfect. But, considering it's age it's still evident it was very well taken care of- Nothing beyond my ability and will to care after. Car's VIN history checks out perfect under multiple reports, and the car drives out very well- no odd noises in the least, no hesitations, everything works fine, no surprises as expected.

Coming from a long history of Vintage Toyotas, and an unusual knack for MK3 VW GTIs, this is a new path for me, and I really don't have many plans other than give the car a good go-over with typical maintenance or updates that I should consider. Ultimately, I would like to update to the later "teardrop" mirrors, RS brake ducts in place of the front indicators, H&R coilovers which I've already ordered through Brian at Rotiform, and some really nice period correct split wheels, which I believe I'm jumping on a really nice set of E26s in the flavor of gold.

With that being said, the GTI will have to go by the end of this year, but all for a good reason

Anyhow, excited to finally become a contributing memeber here on rennlist after lurking for so long, and I promise, better pics are soon to come!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:56 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome and good looking car, I've always loved Amethyst.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:57 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

WE LIKE !
Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 PM
sschultze09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice color combo... Good luck with her!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:38 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

is this the one you bought:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...in-oh-16k.html
Old 08-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Renoir
Addict
Rennlist Member

She's a beauty, congrats!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:58 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, Farkle. I was wondering when you'd show up.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:08 PM
thepenguin99
Instructor

Same car jvmax, looks nice in the pics that are in this thread. Like I said in my post. The car was well worth 16k. It just had issues I wasn't comfortable with.

It wasn't PPIed at the dealership. Auto Assets in Powell OH did it.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, another ex-VAG head. Beautiful color and seems like another stance build, just hope you give it a shot as a proper road car, because its fantastic. It took me one drive in this car to make me realize how much I missed 'real driving.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Thanks for the warm welcomings everyone!

Originally Posted by UncleRemus
Hey, Farkle. I was wondering when you'd show up.
haha, had to work the courage up to introduce myself! Much different pace here on Rennlist than the VW boards.

Originally Posted by thepenguin99
Same car jvmax, looks nice in the pics that are in this thread. Like I said in my post. The car was well worth 16k. It just had issues I wasn't comfortable with.

It wasn't PPIed at the dealership. Auto Assets in Powell OH did it.
I'm glad you chimed in! I was trying to find your old thread without much luck. I completely agree that the car is worth 16k, and I'm very thankful of your forthcomings on rennlist because it weighed on my decision to buy the car a fair bit. Like you said, the car certianly isn't without it's flaws and I'm able to stomach that. In reality, I think I much prefer something that isn't pristine that I won't be afraid to get my hands on, or drive hard.

I really look forward to taking care of the car, it's an exciting avenue for me. I'm vested in this car and really want to hang onto it for quite a few years!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:57 PM
thepenguin99
Instructor

I hope it is a good one for you. I fell in love with the color myself when I saw it, great combo.

I was thinking if I bought it I was going to try some leatherique to refresh the seats rather than spending 2k on recovering. I have seen pictures of it working wonders on lighter colored seats. I remember the seats looking more neglected, dirty, and dried out rather than truely worn so it may work great.

The coilovers sound like a great first step on the car. The PPI mentioned the front shocks were blown. They will also get the car out of truck stance.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:01 AM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Welcome, another ex-VAG head. Beautiful color and seems like another stance build, just hope you give it a shot as a proper road car, because its fantastic. It took me one drive in this car to make me realize how much I missed 'real driving.
Oh, believe me... first drive and I was purple with envy(see what I did there?).

I'm definitely planning on spending many seat hours in this car as a summer street car... I'm sure many people will be displeased to know I'm going the "stance" route with this car, but that's another reason I didn't want a pristine example. I really want to get this car out and enjoy it.. put miles on it. That's what you're supposed to do with a car like this, right?

Originally Posted by thepenguin99
I hope it is a good one for you. I fell in love with the color myself when I saw it, great combo.

I was thinking if I bought it I was going to try some leatherique to refresh the seats rather than spending 2k on recovering. I have seen pictures of it working wonders on lighter colored seats. I remember the seats looking more neglected, dirty, and dried out rather than truely worn so it may work great.

The coilovers sound like a great first step on the car. The PPI mentioned the front shocks were blown. They will also get the car out of truck stance.
The white leather is actually the least favorite part about this car for me. I'm usually partial to black leather interiors and this is the exact opposite, obviously. Thankfully I don't wear jeans, so i'm not too worried about staining them further, but they're definitely getting a good leatherique treatment to revive them as much as I can. I'm not sweating it too much, I think a pair of Recaro SPGs will make their way into the car at some point. The shift boot and **** definitely have to be repaired, and it'll be one of the first things on my list. But you're right, this color on the 964 is incredible

I'll be sure to keep this updated as a journal so everyone can follow along. It should be a fun on-going hobby for me to look after!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:19 AM
garrett1021
Racer

Great color you have there
Old 09-01-2013, 01:53 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

That colour is one of my favourites!
Why do these cars always become available when you've already bought.
Looking forward to you future posts.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Maxxvr
Rennlist Member

Awesome pick! I was actually going to go look at this car and pick it up to make into a track car.
Were you at Vagkraft by any chance? I had the red 964 there!

Quick Reply: 964 Newcomer! Amethyst content