Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help with lower control arm bolt. spinning with bushing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:26 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default please help with lower control arm bolt. spinning with bushing.

I absolutely hate working on 2000 years old car. A supposed to be 3 hrs job turned to nightmare.
Everything is off except one lower control arm bolt. It decided to spin with the bushing.
The nut is off the bolt. I've tried everything at my disposal. Fire, c clamp, balljoint separator, I already destroyed the bushing with fire. Nothing worked.

Cant hammer it because the steering arm is right behind it.

Please help me out.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow... besides cracking the fastener free w/ a breaker bar, these were no big deal to remove on my car. Mine had a bunch of anti-seize paste on there when I removed them.

I guess the bolt has seized to the inner metal sleeve on the bushing?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Yes. Bolt is siezed with metal sleeve. I have a new bolt. But not sure how I cut this thing.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you have a pneumatic hammer. Need air compressor also. Best is small hand held like hand drill but a high number of blows very rapidly in a confined area. Have found that this works well on a lot of seized items. Just an idea.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 AM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

If it's that bad, you need to take out the control arm together with the cross member. Cut the bolt, nut side, as close a possible to the control arm, then drill out the bolt hexagon side. Not easy, you need to be dead center.

Other option, replace arm and croos member.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

I worked on it more today and gave up.

I have never stressed so much working on cars. Supposedly an enjoyable experience right? This is working on it for 2 days and accomplished nothing.
this is for installing the poly bushings.

(by the way, the fitment of Chris' bushing for 964 is horrible. dont know if they can even be installed. ) ---> spoken with Chris. This may not be accurate statement. Waiting for the next attempt to install the bushings.

Taking it to the shop tomorrow.

be aware of the spinning bolts when you take your control arms off.

Last edited by FlyinTomato; 08-19-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, not sure if you had a bad set of bushing but I have installed the Chris Walrod bushings on mine and the fit is very good, going on 3 years and still no issue at all.

Good luck with the project.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Can you put a C-clamp on the seized bolt then hit the c-clamp w/ a mallet in a forward direction?

Last edited by Vandit; 08-18-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:05 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
I worked on it more today and gave up.

I have never stressed so much working on cars. Supposedly an enjoyable experience right? This is working on it for 2 days and accomplished nothing.
this is for installing the poly bushings. by the way, the fitment of Chris' bushing for 964 is horrible. dont know if they can even be installed.

Taking it to the shop tomorrow.

be aware of the spinning bolts when you take your control arms off.
Sorry to hear this is turning out bad, I know that exact felling.
Sounds like you may have something left behind the CW bushing fit no problem, I would give him a call.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Pchar, does your control arm with cw bushings slide into the brackets easily? We I have them installed on one of the good control arm. The two smalll bushings making it too wide. It was impossible to fit them in the cross member bracket. I sent cw an email regarding this issue.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As ghhally has said, your only option is to remove the arm and cross member.
In situations like this localised heating and impact wrench are your friends. I had one hell of a job stripping down the front suspension of my car. Despite everything looking fine it was pretty much all stuck fast. You're going to have to use a something like a mapp torch and get the joint really hot. That's going to be tricky since the bit you want to get really hot is inside the bush. Melt out the rubber and get the flame inside. This is gonna get messy but you will shift it. I know how laborious and soul destroying jobs like this can be but just break the problem down into simpler stages.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
Pchar, does your control arm with cw bushings slide into the brackets easily? We I have them installed on one of the good control arm. The two smalll bushings making it too wide. It was impossible to fit them in the cross member bracket. I sent cw an email regarding this issue.
No mine fit like a glove, one thing comes to mid,.. have you removed all of the old bushings including the innerds (rings and all old rubber)?

look below they went it as prescribed,..
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2013, 10:43 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Spoken with Chris last night. It was indeed my mistake not removing all the metal sleeves. Great customer service from Chris. One more bolt to cut I will be able to get the tomato back on the road. finger crossed.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For those that have Chris's bushings, do you find that they squeek at all? I'm in the process of replacing mine and had contemplated the factory replacement ones available from SSF for a similar price, but were backordered and I needed to fix my car now. I've had poor experiences with poly bushings and noise in the past and just don't want to have to redo this exercise.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM
PChar
Racer

I have mine for a couple of years now, and still have no noise or squeaking. I applied the grease as recommended and works really good. I do not daily drive my car though so it doesn't see rain or snow and dusty roads.

Quick Reply: please help with lower control arm bolt. spinning with bushing.