Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternative front jack stand point ...!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default alternative front jack stand point ...!?

Hi guys,

sorry for the lazy question, I am nervous to do something wrong, I did the search and my disc drive is dead so can't look in my manual...

I wanted to fit a jack stand at the front of the car (at the initial jack point behind the wheel) but not sure where it is safe to fit another jack stand, by the time I move the jack lift to fit the jack stand at the initial place...

a picture would be great,
thanks a lot
Old 07-30-2013, 06:59 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I understand you right, you are trying to figure out how to put the car up on 4 stands, is that right?

That's always a tricky one, I've spent many hours staring at cars in my garage figuring out how to do it safely

I've done it on the 964, I can't remember exactly how though tbh, I think it went something like this: I used the trolley jack on one of the rear jacking points, if you go high enough this will also get the front off the ground on the same side, so you can put the stand under the front jacking point. Then you put blocks under the rear wheel before you let the jack down, then you do the other side, and finally because of the blocks under the rear wheels, you can get the trolley jack under the center rib of the engine case (protected by a piece of soft wood) and you can jack the whole rear up enough to get the stands under the rear jacking points.

Of course even when it is on four stands it's not that stable, so I like to put the wheels that come off the car, flat under the car, so if it falls you only end up partially squashed.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

If I'm jacking up the car and putting it on 4 jack stands, I will lift the rear up by the engine which then allows me to put jack stands under the rear jack points (just ahead of the rear wheels). Once that is secure, I will jack the front up by putting the jack pad under the far side lower A-arm pivot point. Its a hard point on the chassis. Once the car is lifted, I am able to put jack stands under the front jack points (just behind the front wheels). If I need the car higher, I will then repeat the process.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alexjc4
If I understand you right, you are trying to figure out how to put the car up on 4 stands, is that right?

That's always a tricky one, I've spent many hours staring at cars in my garage figuring out how to do it safely

I've done it on the 964, I can't remember exactly how though tbh, I think it went something like this: I used the trolley jack on one of the rear jacking points, if you go high enough this will also get the front off the ground on the same side, so you can put the stand under the front jacking point. Then you put blocks under the rear wheel before you let the jack down, then you do the other side, and finally because of the blocks under the rear wheels, you can get the trolley jack under the center rib of the engine case (protected by a piece of soft wood) and you can jack the whole rear up enough to get the stands under the rear jacking points.

Of course even when it is on four stands it's not that stable, so I like to put the wheels that come off the car, flat under the car, so if it falls you only end up partially squashed.
Hi Alex,
yes partially squashed ...ha..ha!
well I am trying to lift just the front for now (to measure bump steer), I have one low jack lift and 2 jack stands, lifting one side and place blocks underneath the wheel and do the other side seams a good idea, I thought there is a safe place to fit a jack stand near by the wishbone somewhere ... without damaging anything....
Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not merely lift one side from the rear, install jack stand at the front.

Repeat the other side.

I do this all the time.

For four stands, at this point, merely lift the rear at the engine case.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

thanks a lot guys, did not realise by lifting the rear the front would life enough to slide a jack stand
Old 07-30-2013, 11:13 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm amazed at the stiffness of these cars....this is what happened when I jacked the left front up, nice and high. The left rear was almost off the ground too!

Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

????!!! what ?
I lift it once from one front side, never had that, maybe because mine is a C4
Old 07-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

The way boxsey illustrates works well if you've got some stiff suspension, but on more standard suspension, the rear will simply load up on the opposite side and you will not get the car up evenly in the front.

I use the method illustrated in this thread
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=643292

I have a large piece of wood that I place over the jack then use the piece of wood across (from side-to-side) and jack the car from under the front tub.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:12 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vandit
The way boxsey illustrates works well if you've got some stiff suspension, but on more standard suspension, the rear will simply load up on the opposite side and you will not get the car up evenly in the front.

I use the method illustrated in this thread
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=643292

I have a large piece of wood that I place over the jack then use the piece of wood across (from side-to-side) and jack the car from under the front tub.
Very clever, and straight forward , thanks for posting,
time for me to get more involve in the maintenance of the car....

Thanks for all your replies !!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have a front strut brace, get the tension of before lifting on the front.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lift the back by the engine and apply the jack stands.

Then I lift the entire front of the car by placing a 2x8 under the front of the car/bottom of the frunk and lift the entire front of the car. Note, you will have to drive your car's front wheels up on a stack of 2 or 3 - 2x6's in order to get the jack under the front of the car. It will depend if your car is lowered or not.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:58 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Very clever, and straight forward , thanks for posting,
time for me to get more involve in the maintenance of the car....

Thanks for all your replies !!
I've seen this before but personally I was a bit nervous about lifting the car via the engine, won't this put extra strain on the engine mounts and shorten their lifespan?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jack.pe
I've seen this before but personally I was a bit nervous about lifting the car via the engine, won't this put extra strain on the engine mounts and shorten their lifespan?

everyone does it, may not be worst that riding on a bumpy road
Old 07-31-2013, 10:18 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Or more scarily the known-to-be-weak hanger? The weight of 3/4 car on this must be waaaaaay ouside its design levels given that stiff mounts can cause fractures alone.

Quick Reply: alternative front jack stand point ...!?