Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Install Starts (#2)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

SUBSCRIBED (cut class and lets get going)
Make that class and work and now we're talking! I dropped the car off at a local p-car body shop today. I've had a few rust bubbles surface at the base of my windshield over the past few months so I decided to get that repaired before taking the car out of service for the SC install...should have it back in about a week or so.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:35 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock chip that I've never used - got it from the PO. And I'm looking for a SW chip for cat bypass if you are selling.

How old is the SW chip? I have a '91 C4 manual.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:33 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Looking forward to the updates!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
964Heaven
Banned

Originally Posted by jotaking
Subscribed
Any updates?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Any updates?
Nice avatar! I picked the car up at the body shop on Monday. I'm hoping to do the valve adjustment and possibly begin the install this weekend...
Old 05-30-2013, 05:02 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kyle,

Which body shop? I need to do the same soon.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Which body shop? I need to do the same soon.
I did quite a bit of research and ended up going with these guys:

http://hanleybros.com/RapidBodyWorks/index.html

I had a great experience and would definitely use them again! Their number is 281.350.8200...ask for Daniel.

(No affiliation other than a satisfied customer.)
Old 06-02-2013, 03:43 PM
JDMfairlady21
Rennlist Member

oh boy,... I haven't evened finalized the deal with the 964(currently waiting to schedule a final PPI on Monday) and here I am looking at SC kits!

l;ooking forward to your project being finished bud!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

I haven't evened finalized the deal with the 964(currently waiting to schedule a final PPI on Monday) and here I am looking at SC kits!
Let us know how the PPI turned out! Be sure to post pictures if you ended up buying the car or you will get flamed!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Update: I adjusted the valves over the weekend. SC install (with pictures) will begin soon...

Still trying to decide if I want to go with the TPC liquid-air or an air-air intercooler. I really like the look of the stock decklid with no wing but the air-air intercooler appeals to me as well. Just seems right on an air cooled car.

Does anyone make an aftermarket version of the 965 wing?

Better Bodies used to make a 930 repro that looked similar but it seems to have been discontinued. I'm aware of betterbodiesusa.com and mashaw.com. Any other good sites out there for aftermarket wings?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:02 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Update: Exhaust has been removed and I'm getting close to the crank pulley.

My new spark plugs finally arrived so I will be installing those and reinstalling the valve covers. Then, I'll focus on installing the TPC pulleys, mocking the system up, and wiring in the Split Second piggyback ECU. I've created an installation album and added a few recent photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1001400...eat=directlink

Last edited by kylejohnston1; 06-16-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 AM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Install is progressing nicely. I removed the alternator and crank pulleys today and installed the TPC pulleys. I also took a grinder to the a/c bracket so it can be removed without removing the crank pulley from now on. Special thanks to Michael (Ducks964 here on the forum) for letting me borrow his crank pulley removal tool! The people on this forum never cease to amaze me and I'm thankful to be a part of it.

Album has been updated with the pics from today:

Old 07-15-2013, 04:04 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Album has been updated with the latest progress:

I have a few questions for about hose/vacuum connections for those that have installed the kit that I posted in a separate topic here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-install.html

Last edited by kylejohnston1; 07-15-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:56 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Well, it has been about 7 months since my last post. I was working on the install on weekends as work and graduate school would allow and I became a bit lazy with pictures and updates here on RL with my lack of free time. My apologies for that. I completed the supercharger install back in November. The supercharger kit caused significant oil leaks from both chain box housings similar to these documented by RicardoD:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-o-rings.html

After spending several months on the SC/intercooler install, I decided to take the car to Mike Callas in Sealy, TX and let him have a go at the oil leaks. I got the car back from Mike early this month and I've been enjoying it leak free for the past 2 weeks.

All in all, I highly recommend the TPC supercharger/intercooler kit! However, since Ducks964 and I both had the same chain box leaks after the install, I would tell everyone thinking about the kit to also plan on doing the camshaft gaskets/o rings if the motor does not have a fresh rebuild.

With that being said, the increase in power is wonderful! I haven't done a dyno and I'm not a racer but the "grin factor" has increased exponentially. The car really pins you back in the seat now under throttle!

The intercooler seems to do a great job as well. I've gotten caught in Houston traffic twice and oil temps have stayed at 9:00 or less. Of course, it is winter here. I'll report back on this further once the weather warms up.

My kit is not the newest generation. It came with the 7th injector, the piggyback box made by Split Second, and offers 6 lbs of boost. I believe the newer kits come with a 7th and an 8th injector and have piggyback boxes made by Unichip. With that being said, I am happy with the fuel management on my kit. I am monitoring boost and AFR's with this datalogging gauge:

http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideba...safe-gauge-84/

So far, boost and fuel delivery have been functioning as expected with no lean conditions. I have not been monitoring the change in my gas mileage too closely (not too concerned about that since it is a weekend driver 911) but I will report back on that as well.

Here is a short teaser video on youtube:

Forgive the smudges and dirty engine bay...this was the first drive from the night that I completed the installl. I'll try to upload the remainder of my install pics and additional videos soon.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:27 AM
reinartdesign
Track Day

Any luck sorting out the vacuum hoses? It's been a nightmare for us trying to get this kit going on our 964.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Install Starts (#2)