Sponsored by:

Help with hose & vacuum connections during TPC supercharger install

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help with hose & vacuum connections during TPC supercharger install

Calling those that have installed a TPC kit or are experienced with the 964 engine bay hoses. I've been documenting my install with a photo album in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tarts-2-a.html

I've been careful to label everything but I have a few questions regarding the supercharger install and about the 964 engine bay in general. Here are the pics in question:

Any thoughts on these topics would be much appreciated:

I believe hose A (engine bay) is either left open or given a breather filter? If so, I will most likely give it a breather filter.

I believe nipple A (intake) is either plugged/capped or given a breather filter? I have seen it done both ways but I'm more inclined to plug it because wouldn't a breather filter introduce a leak?

Hose B connects to hose B (engine bay).

What is hose C (engine bay)? Is this the C2 power brake booster hose referred to on the TPC diagram?

Hose D & E (engine bay) should be connected to a catch can breather filter like this one?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ+Products/5...25-01/10002/-1

What is hose F (engine bay)?

I'm sure there may be more but that's all I have for now. Thanks for any input in helping me get over these speed bumps during the install.

Last edited by kylejohnston1; 07-17-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone has a vacuum diagram for the 964? Putting the vac lines wrong can spell disaster for the engine. I am more familiar with the 993, but I can take a stab at this.

There are various vacuum lines in the 3.6 engine:
1. there are 3 oil vent lines going to the oil tank. One is the engine breather line to the oil tank. The two lines left goes into the intake. One before the throttle butterfly and one after the throttle butterfly. (At least that's how it works on the 993).

2. at the engine connection "tree", there are two more vac lines. First one is for the brake booster. Second one is for the (gas) tank vent valve.

3. last are the various vac lines to actuate the various flaps in the intake itself (like the vram intake flaps on the 993). There is another line going to the front of the car to operate the AC flap.

I think that's it. Now onto the install and your questions.

You will have to decide whether to connect the oil tank breather lines to the supercharger intake or leave them open and put a breather on them. For sure, the engine breather (hose B I think) MUST be connected back to the oil tank. The other two lines (hose A and C , I think), if you decide not to connect them to the supercharger intake then put breather on them. IF you do decide to connect them to the supercharger intake, then make sure you connect them to the INTAKE or LOW pressure side before the air is supercharged. Don't CAP them or your engine can blow up.

I think hose D is the brake booster line. So connect it to the LOW pressure side of the supercharger.

Not sure what E is. I think it is the tank vent valve. Is there a switch with a wired connector going to the hose complex? If so, that would be it. The purpose of the tank vent valve is to suck in air from the carbon canister that is connected to the gas tank. Rather than venting the carbon canister to the atmosphere, the engine sucks in this air and consume it. If you leave this off, you won't pass emission since your car will be running slighly rich in certain condition. And it will show up on your emission dyno.

Other 964 experts, pls chime in your comments.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 AM
axl911
Drifting

I'll say it again. Please obtain a 964 vacuum diagram and study it so you what does what. If you set up the hoses wrong, it can cause mucho problems.

- car won't run because of vacuum leaks.

- engine will blow up bc the boost sensor doesn't see boost and add fuel + retards timing correctly

- engine will blow up bc pressurized air is fed into the breather line at the engine.

If you're ever in Dallas, I can run you through my install.

Last edited by axl911; 07-16-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Thanks Axl!

I think you're right about D being the brake booster line. Just found these pics on Pelican:

So the plan will be to:

Connect hoses A & C to a catch can breather filter or standard breather filter.
Figure out where & how to connect E to the intake.
Find and study a 964 vacuum diagram.

I'll put a breather filter on hose A in the engine bay but I think I plug A on the intake like Marc did at this link, right?

https://rennlist.com/forums/9525262-post157.html

I’ll definitely take you up to see your install next time I’m in Dallas!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 AM
axl911
Drifting

Now that you put up the pic....I think 'A' is the carbon canister and 'E' is the brake booster.

Either way, both need to be connected to the inlet/low side of the supercharger. Which would be lablelled as "to climate control/smog pump" and "brake booster" on the TPC's diagram.

And yes, you have to plug it on the rubber intake boot. You can do what Marc did or use a fat screw with a band clamp.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:39 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Okay, finally got all the pics above to work! I found an electronic copy of the 964 C2 shop manual and found this:

After looking at the diagram and the pics above again, I'm thinking these are the connections:

A - cap hole on intake, put breather filter on hose in engine bay
B - to B
D - is brake booster
C & E - oil tank vent lines connected to a catch can breather filter
F - carbon canister fuel tank vent valve

In looking at the TPC diagram, I had no idea what to do with hose F and the connector on the intake labeled "F" and "J". Axl, your comment about the carbon cannister and brake booster both needing to be connected to the inlet/low side of the supercharger helped me greatly. So, I marked up the TPC diagram with what I believe to be correct:

Let me know if you agree. Thanks for the help in walking me though this!
Old 12-04-2016, 03:22 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

sub'd
Old 04-11-2017, 07:39 AM
reinartdesign
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure out exactly what the hoses were in your picture and where to connect them?

I connected everything according to your last post, however the car is spewing smoke from the exhaust and breather. Upon taking off hose B (oil tank vent line), there is lots of smoke there. Whenever B is connected, oil pressure is very high to the point that oil will come out of the oil fill if I unscrew the cap. However if I unplug B from the oil tank vent then it's fine.

Quick Reply: Help with hose & vacuum connections during TPC supercharger install