Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Install Starts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Ducks964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New update, the car is back together and had a short outing today. The car has amazing acceleration. The SC has such linear power and now the car pushes me back into the seat considerably more than before. The sound of the SC is like a jet taking off.

The oil leaks appear to be under control. Fingers crossed.

Do have one issue, the car will stall if the clutch is pressed in when above 2000 RPM's. It does not even try to recover. I checked that the idle switch is making contact. Anybody have other suggestions to check. With now having a Unichip piggyback and the SC, wonder if that will add more complexity to track down the issue.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:09 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducks964
New update, the car is back together and had a short outing today. The car has amazing acceleration. The SC has such linear power and now the car pushes me back into the seat considerably more than before. The sound of the SC is like a jet taking off.

The oil leaks appear to be under control. Fingers crossed.

Do have one issue, the car will stall if the clutch is pressed in when above 2000 RPM's. It does not even try to recover. I checked that the idle switch is making contact. Anybody have other suggestions to check. With now having a Unichip piggyback and the SC, wonder if that will add more complexity to track down the issue.

Thanks.
Have you modified the ISV? Check out how to do it on the 993 forum. I had to do mine since I have a lightweight flywheel which would stall once in a while.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Ducks964
Racer

I have not. I will definitely check that out. I am also going to trade out an AFM for a spare to see that does anything.

Thank you for the idea.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:09 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Hey Ducks... How does that heat bypass pipe affix to the heat shroud? Is it sandwiched between the supercharger bracket and the fan housing? I dont have a TPC tube with my kit so I'm not sure how to go about directing the fan air down into the shroud ... Not so much worried about diverting any over to the heat tubes. I trimmed the little tabs off the shroud so the SC brace would mount flush against the fan shroud but now I cant mount any cover or anything there... It's just a big open hole...

Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 AM
Ducks964
Racer

Hi Rich,

Unfortunately with the gen 3 system, there is no connection from the fan shroud to the exchangers. You will need something like this:

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=314

Also I believe someone is selling them on Ebay too for a little less. I will take a close up picture today for how it fits.

I am now in the process of making a system for adding a fan to connect to the exchangers. The instructions say you can modify the rear fan to fit. I believe it may be possible on a 993, however I have not figured it out on a 964. Just not a lot of room to shove a fan on the side of the supercharger unit.

If you need any of the TPC install instructions, PM me and I can send them to you.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Ducks964
Racer

Unfortunately still fighting a stall issue. I cleaned the ISV,did the adjustment on the AFM wiper arm, and checked the idle switch was making contact (read on my PDT-999). Still no luck. If I push in the clutch at revs over 1200, it will just die. I can save it if I wait till close to 1000 rpms and push in the clutch slowly (recovers around 400 rpm). Btw, I am still running dual mass flywheel, new Beru caps, and new bosch rotors. Coils are fairly new as well as NGK plug wires.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure it's not stalling because of the drag of the supercharger? Have you plumbed in the bypass valve from before the throttle body to between the afm and sc?

On my 944s2, I had to adjust some of the motronic maps (specifically injector lag maps) to stop the plunge stall issue. Perfect now.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:58 AM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Are you sure it's not stalling because of the drag of the supercharger? Have you plumbed in the bypass valve from before the throttle body to between the afm and sc?

On my 944s2, I had to adjust some of the motronic maps (specifically injector lag maps) to stop the plunge stall issue. Perfect now.
Curious. What map do you have to adjust and to what value?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:33 PM
Ducks964
Racer

ISV is plumbed after AFM to after after throttle body per the instructions. Also the instructions say you must use a stock chip with the Unichip Q and T modules. Wish I knew if it is component related or some issue of the drag as you mentioned. I guess last resort will be a Steve Wong chip with stock programming except fix for LWF fix. That may help as it will not wait so long to try recover.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Michael, give Steve Wong a call. I have a LWF and I had the same stalling symptoms you mention after installing the supercharger. He sent me his standard LWF only chip and it did not fix the problem. Then he sent me a second chip with a few additional adjustments (not sure what these adjustments entail but he could tell you) for the supercharger and now my car only stalls occasionally when I depress the clutch above 1200 RPM where before it would stall EVERY time. I did ask him to ensure that my chip did not advance the timing as I believe this is why TPC recommends against aftermarket chips.

Ask him send you the same chip he sent me that has a few adjustments for the supercharger. Good luck!

Kyle
Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Unfortunately still fighting a stall issue...If I push in the clutch at revs over 1200, it will just die. I can save it if I wait till close to 1000 rpms and push in the clutch slowly (recovers around 400 rpm).
Any suggestions?
Does this happen with the AC running? How about with the heat turned on?
Old 04-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Ducks964
Racer

Thanks Kyle. Will definitely check with Steve. Hope you are enjoying the SC.

Hi Jason,

The stalling is with no AC or heat turned on.

I did check the coils last night and it starts and idles fine on either coil.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The stalling is with no AC or heat turned on.
I was gonna suggest a "fix" for you if you don't stall with the AC or heat turned on.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM
axl911
Drifting

What's your idle? Can you increase it a bit to about 800-900 rpm?

Have you reset your DME adaptation (if there is such a thing on the 964). On the 993, you simply turn your key to "on" for 3 minutes without starting.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:14 AM
Ducks964
Racer

I had ran an adaptation on the car with my pdt-999. That did not seem to help. Idle is pretty solid around normal 880. I checked all the vacuum connections and also boost gauge does not appear to show leaks.

I have a Steve chip ordered with same setup as Kyle's. Will report back next week if that fixed my issue.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Install Starts