Sponsored by:

Supercharger Install Starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:35 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
I downloaded the .xdf Tunerpro definition for the '92 964c2 from Tunerpro. You are right, the adresses between the s2 and 964 are not the same, but they are surprisingly similar. It is obvious they were developed around the same time and seem to have the same functions. Just for interest sake I looked through the 964 code and almost all the maps are within a few bytes of where they are for the s2. The tunerpro xdf on the web is OK, but it is missing injector lag, dwell has the wrong conversion, it is missing the accel enrichment, all of the AIT and TMOT maps etc. Having said that it has most of what you need for basic tuning except the injector lag which is needed for changing injectors.
Unfortunately I don't have a 964 so can't confirm the maps are correct, only by comparision to the S2 maps.
Yeah that's the xdf I found too.

Thanks Eric that's really helpful info
Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has just come up for sale in the UK.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RPM-Techni...-/141137839540
I prefer the way your kit is fitted as you can keep the original boot lid.
Frustratingly, they don't mention any figures.

Last edited by STUARTQ; 01-01-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:54 AM
MPB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Duck,

I don't have a picture and without a chargecooler my install probably wouldn't work for you but the cone is just boxed into avoid engine compartment air. I thought you might be interested in an example view of the performance increase before weight reduction hence attached a GTECH run fyi.

Mark.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Performance.zip (63.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Do you still keep the afm in this case, or do you rewrite the map headings to scale for a map input signal?
If your issue is fuel enrichment when boosts comes on, then I would imagine you keep things as-is and use the pressure sensor as a secondary load sensor for acceleration enrichment? If you look at what Bosch/Porsche are now using in their turbocharged offerings; MAF & TPS & MAP. What about just using a proper (i.e. not splitsecond) MAF solution like the Vitesse product? That should get you most of the way, certainly better than a unichip!

I assume the m2.1 doesnt have the latent ability to run blended maf+map.
Actually it does (well AFM+MAP...) but the sensor input is ignored (set to 0 fuel correction except for in a few very early MY89 ECUs).
Old 01-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Ducks964
Racer

I like the idea of the MAF sensor like Vitesse. Unfortunately that is not cheap and have already sunk a lot in the supercharger and those while you are doing it parts.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:06 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducks964
I like the idea of the MAF sensor like Vitesse. Unfortunately that is not cheap and have already sunk a lot in the supercharger and those while you are doing it parts.
It depends on how good the tune you are using works. If it is not right and you blow an engine, then the $$ for a maf stack up pretty quickly.

Just be careful - those supplementary injectors rely on the piggy back, and if it fails or has a glitch you will run lean for about 10 seconds before the engine goes bang. Something to think about.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Ducks964
Racer

From my research, I do agree that a piggyback system is not the best option. However I believe there are quite a few TPC kits out there and they have been out there for quite a few years. Through my research, I have not come across any fatal issues with the kit. Definitely came across issues with difficulty to maintain smooth idle, uneven fueling on the early model with a 7th injector, and lack of great customer service from TPC.

I would like to continue researching other options as a long term plan (MAF, larger injectors to get away from the extra injectors, etc.), however my expertise right now is not tuning. And since I love working on these cars myself, I really don't want to pay a shop to do the work.

Hopefully the weather will not be too bad here in the South to work on it this weekend. I had some parts powder coated and need to finish the other side of the oil return tubes before tackling the chain housings. The battle against oil leaks is never ending and the enemy is very strong.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Ducks964
Racer

Sorry for lack of details for so long. I had some serious oil leaks on initial start up of the supercharger. I am changing all the seals around the the timing chain covers and just have been slow due to weather and work.

Do have one technical question. On the unmodified engine, the vents from the oil tank routed after the air flow meter. They are plumbed into the rubber boot the connects the AFM to the throttle body. On my supercharger set up, I have the oil tank vent going through an oil catch can then into the rubber boot which is now upstream from the air flow meter and therefore is part of the metered air. Are there any concerns with the vent from the oil tank being part of the metered air? (I hope my explanation makes sense-if not I can post some pics).

Thank you. Hopefully within the month I can have some feedback on the SC kit.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Ducks964
Racer

Here are some pics of the supercharger outside of the car. Where I am pointing is where I have vent coming in from the oil tank. Should it be okay there or should I route after the AFM?
Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Ducks964
Racer

One side of the timing chain cases done.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Ducks964
Racer

Almost done. All left to do is putting on the rear bumper. Hopefully some good news to report later this week.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good Michael!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Ducks964
Racer

Thanks Kyle. How is yours running?

I am so ready to have it back on the road. May endure 40 degree temps tonight to get the bumper back on.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

So far, so good! I drove up to Texas World Speedway to watch PCA racing this past weekend and the car ran well.

I'm impressed with your drive to tackle the leaks after the SC install. Can't wait to hear your impressions after driving it!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Ducks964
Racer

Glad to hear that yours is running well.

Hopefully back on the road soon. Leaks seem well under control now. Have a few items to sort:

- stalls easily if engine is revved - will run system adaptation soon to see if that helps. Battery has been disconnected many times while being repaired
- have a new rattling that can be heard in the car but coming from engine compartment - need to track it down but cannot seem to pinpoint while listening to engine compartment
- wide band AFR O2 sensor seems to be malfunctioning (shows pegged at Lean after a few seconds, but idles fine and no noticeable change when it goes from around 14.6 to Lean)- new one on order

Quick Reply: Supercharger Install Starts