Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, as far as "mods" go, RS or Wevo mounts are at a low price point, and are a pretty easy DIY install.

...so if you wanted to treat yourself, it's not quite in the same league as convicing your significant other that you really need coilovers
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Russ that price is too high for RS mounts? Dealer or John at Unit Eleven will get them for less, around £100 each IIRC. Its a good mod with no downside apart a tiny bit more vibration.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It was the (arguable) need to reinforce the carrier, plus price, that made me go for 993 mounts over RS or Wevo.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ras62
Russ that price is too high for RS mounts? Dealer or John at Unit Eleven will get them for less, around £100 each IIRC. Its a good mod with no downside apart a tiny bit more vibration.
I got mine from Porsche and after 10% discount the complete kit came to about £260 inc VAT. I think that's about as cheap as anyone can get them.

If anyone's interested I have a pair of low mileage genuine 964 standard mounts for sale (I put them on to replace my worn out originals but then decided to go RS).
Old 04-08-2013, 10:14 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by RayB_911
Since this was a thread asking for input on motor mounts I am hoping it is safe to ask, why motor mounts??
All questions are welcome on RL!

Wevo products are available in Euro also....TwinSpark Racing is the exclusive European distributor for WEVO Porsche parts. (no affil)

The best text on Wevo's website regarding the benefits of upgraded motor mounts comes from their 997 section. However the same benefits apply to the 964:

The WEVO 997 SS Engine Mount is designed to offer more precise control of the drivetrain mass. Our experience with the whole family of SS Mount products has illustrated that most drivers experience the sensation of the drivetrain unit moving relative to the chassis mass. The drivetrain in a Porsche is independently suspended from the sprung mass of the car via the compliance in the engine and transmission mounts. This drivetrain assembly represents approximately 25% of the sprung weight of the car. The opportunity for forces to move the drivetrain comes from many inputs, such as the torque reaction of vehicle acceleration loads, the bumps and variations in the road surface and the lateral forces created in cornering and braking. That degree of independent movement of the drivetrain is responsible for some of the “sloppy” feeling that is evident when the performance envelope of the vehicle is explored. The higher the forces, the higher the deflections in the hydro-elastic mounts, therefore the deflections and movement of the drivetrain mass begin to operate out of phase with the movement of the car as a whole. For Racing the factory eliminate the hydro elastic mounts and install solid engine mount positions – marrying together the mass of the drivetrain and the sprung mass of the car. While solid mounts might be considered a conventional wisdom for a race car, this practice has an enormous impact on NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) making it totally impractical for a street driven car.

The WEVO 997 SS Engine Mounts skew the performance intentions of the O.E. engine mounts and control movement by allowing smaller deflections under the same loads. Your drivetrain remains “independently suspended” but managed by a much stiffer suspension – much like stiffer dampers, anti-roll bars or springs could replace the original parts in your front and rear axle suspension configurations.

Unlike solid engine and transmission mount systems, the Semi Solid installation has no metal to metal contact and retains sufficient isolation from engine vibrations to protect your sensitive engine control electronics, sound system and instrumentation systems.

Like all deviations from the original design, there is some compromise. In this case the compromise is the potential for extra noise and vibration to heard and felt in the passenger compartment. Our testing has indicated that the change in NVH is a fair exchange for the performance improvement. A tighter feeling chassis, one with quicker left- right response, more predictable gear change precision and stability under braking. In essence, if you have modified your car in any way, loud exhaust, aftermarket suspension, lightweight seats, lightweight interior….any of these systems are just as likely to have increased the NVH quota for your car and the WEVO 997 SS Engine Mounts might be a somewhat transparent addition to your tuning regiment in terms of NVH.

Last edited by 911Jetta; 04-08-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: 2nd "f" in affiliation
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

All the parts to do this properly retail at £265.42 + vat
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just added the 993 mounts to the car. They work, as has been said, just fine and are good value. I considered the solid mount route but I want to occasionally have a conversation in the car and the additional vibration and noise might grate after a while. I'm no racing driver so the additional benefits would probably only achieve their maximum benefit 3 or 4 times a year on the track. Each to their own of course but my car is my daily driver and has to wear a number of hats. I didn't want it to wear only a race helmet all the time.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wevo mounts with Black pillows for street use is wha I replaced my shot mountswith. Maaaan what a difference! like a new car.I would get those. Such a viceral feel now. The car feels as one. I love when it starts, you can feel the connection. Mine is a cab, so I may be less sensitive to vibrations. Buy the wevo. You will not regret it.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Vote for Wevos, easy and no worries .....have them for over 2 years, back feels less saggy, the car steers better, not real difference in gear change , not much more noise or vibrations...cheaper than any OE
Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This engine mount thread has been good learning for me. Lot's of new informatione for me. Specifically that it can affect shifting. Mine had new clutch installed last year. Install was done by local Porsche dealer. It shifts great, but is difficult shifting from 2nd to 1st until I am sitting still. Then I have to put into 2nd again and back to 1st no problem. When sitting idle at start, I can shift up/down all gears no problems. Could this be an issue with my motor mounts?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by RayB_911
This engine mount thread has been good learning for me. Lot's of new informatione for me. Specifically that it can affect shifting.
Ray (and/or others)
Just to throw some more information out there...here's a link to my m.m. install and impressions. It's a wonderful product!

Wevo m.m. installed - impressions: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=19642
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
RayB_911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

Ray (and/or others)
Just to throw some more information out there...here's a link to my m.m. install and impressions. It's a wonderful product!

Wevo m.m. installed - impressions: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=19642
Thanks for link to thread.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:03 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

I bought the Rennline and te reinforcement of the engine carrier.
My car has allways had the original engine mounts but the engine carrier was bent in one corner.
Please check it, even if you have allways driven with the standard engine mounts.
The standard engine carrier is a deisign flaw. it is two weak or cracks.

As someone earlier in this thread says, if it breaks in an extreme case. You will be very unhappy.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:43 AM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just fitted the mounts i bought of "boxsey".
My mounts where saggin, a gap of 15mm!
Much better now.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM
ray stobbs
Racer

993 mounts on mine last year money well spent

Quick Reply: Engine mounts?