Sponsored by:

front bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front bumper removal

am I missing a DIY somewhere, or is it just really easy/obvious when you get in there?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It is pretty straight forward. You need to get under the car and unscrew all the pieces from the bottom, take the fender liners out of the front wheel wells and you will see the screw holding the bumper to the front fenders, and there are 4 or so screws on top where the frunk seal is. If you have the headlight washers, there is also the hose to disconnect, you will see that as you are removing the bumper, make sure to have a plug ready or you will drain the washer fluid tank all over the floor, ask me how I know.
Screws to remove: All #9, #24, #29, #37, and all the inner fender liner ones.
Have fun.

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Look at this post by 911Jetta
https://rennlist.com/forums/7514415-post32.html

and I also posted a bunch of pics when I did it last year.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ew-months.html
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

thanks guys. will it be necessary to remove the black under piece to pull the bumper? would i be able to straighten the "smile" if i dont. I need to pull the bumper for a respray, but need to straighten at the same time.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

You probably need to drop the front apron pieces to fit the smile, since the metal lip on the front tub that affects the shape of the smile is what the aprons bolt onto on the back end.

Also make sure the grille piece is nice and intact and fully clipped into place. When I got my car, the smile was straight, but the center slate was all over the place because the plastic grille behind it was shattered to ****. I replaced it and it all straightened out.

You can see it here.

Very obvious

Center slat super loose.

Took it apart to remove the grill piece that is behind the bumper

As you can see, the old piece was busted to ****. This piece is what holds bumper opening even, so being all smashed up, it couldn't do its job.

New piece snapped into place and bolted back up.

I got my swagger back (@ RUF Cars & Bikes).

I still find myself knocking it out of place when I slam into orange pylons while autocrossing, but I can usually pop it back into place from the outside w/o disassembly.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

that last pic looks very nice!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Trust me, remove the apron pieces, you will thank me later after you have tried to reinstall the bumper. You only need to remove the centre piece to straighten the smile, but take the side pieces off as well.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Trust me, remove the apron pieces, you will thank me later after you have tried to reinstall the bumper. You only need to remove the centre piece to straighten the smile, but take the side pieces off as well.
+1 Just remove the black pieces to fix the smile - doing mine at the moment.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:44 PM
kta
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All,

I'm planning to remove the front bumper to repair the smile. Had a run in with a rogue hub cap last weekend and it hit the front bumper and cracked the grill making the smile a little sad. Fortunately, it just scuffed up the paint a little bit (battle scars haha)
I found the parts online, but before I order... do you know if the grill is a snap in piece? Or does it require any fasteners? I couldn't tell from of the drawings of all the parts in the bumper.

While the bumper is down, I'm going to take the opportunity to clean the oil cooler a bit too - hopefully that helps a bit with the temps!

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 11-21-2019, 06:59 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

The grill snaps in place once you remove the bottom pieces you can slide your hand back there and put them back in.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:19 PM
kta
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Infinite1 - so no need to even remove the entire bumper (if just replacing the grill)?
Old 11-21-2019, 10:29 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by kta
Thanks Infinite1 - so no need to even remove the entire bumper (if just replacing the grill)?

If you’re repairing the smile just remove the bottom pieces and you can adjust the smile and grill without removing. However, if you’re replacing the grill then yes take off the bumper.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:24 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
+1

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...per-smile.html

In case you take it off. Nice opportunity for a cleaning...

The following users liked this post:
964Luftballoon (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Bruizer
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kta
Hi All,

I'm planning to remove the front bumper to repair the smile. Had a run in with a rogue hub cap last weekend and it hit the front bumper and cracked the grill making the smile a little sad. Fortunately, it just scuffed up the paint a little bit (battle scars haha)
I found the parts online, but before I order... do you know if the grill is a snap in piece? Or does it require any fasteners? I couldn't tell from of the drawings of all the parts in the bumper.

While the bumper is down, I'm going to take the opportunity to clean the oil cooler a bit too - hopefully that helps a bit with the temps!

Thanks,
Kevin

If you take the frt bumper off and clean the oil cooler, also look into replacing the sealing wedges that are glued on the inside of the bumper. They help separate the intake and discharge air from the oil cooler. Most have disintegrated over time. It made a big difference on my oil temps.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

What adhesive did you use for the wedges?
Have them in my to do bucket.

Quick Reply: front bumper removal