Sponsored by:

Steering rack rubber

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Robbie Ravioli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack rubber

Has anyone tried to replace the steering rack rubber covers by just undoing the steering rods? I was thinking that it should be possible to steer the wheels to one side and unscrew the steering rod on the opposite side. Would this work at all?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not sure how the method you're describing differs from the general procedures for doing this job?

Are you talking about not undoing the balljoint from the spindle and instead trying to loosen the tie-rod from the steering stop/rack side?

What's your concern here, what step are you trying to avoid?

Here's how I did it not too long ago. (Thread here)
Originally Posted by Vandit

The cool thing about having an old car is that you don’t have to look very far for your next project. I hadn’t even realized my steering rack boots were expired.

Putting my pretty ball joint removal tool to use.

Tie-rod ends removed, old & busted boot versus new boot.

You need to transfer this grommet to the new boots, not an easy task.

More boiling water and a large set of pliers to hold the grommet while you force over the boot.

Reinstalled. I used boiling water and dish soap to get the boot back onto the rack. You have to remove the underbody panel to do this.

I replaced the boot on each side, counting the turns when I removed them, and surprisingly, my alignment wasn’t a mess upon reassembly. Victory!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Robbie Ravioli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great info! I am trying to avoid seperating the ball joint, as I dont have that pretty tool, I was hoping just to unscrew the adjusting mechanism, but I was unsure of if that would work at all.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

The tool is not that expensive. I'd probably just pick one up. You're pretty much guaranteed to need a realignment if you try to undo it at the adjuster and keep the balljoint in place.

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Steering rack rubber