Rear footwell carpet: 0.7
*Cat bypass: 10kg (est)
*Rs flywheel: 10kg (est)
Rear wiper delete: 6
Intensive wash reservoir: Still need to weigh
Rear Belts: 2.2
Rear gas struts: 0.48
Frunk carpet: 2.3
Spoiler mechanism: 0.875 (now put back so this has been removed from figures)
Stereo Head Unit (Pioneer): 1.8
Doorcards: 9.8
RS Doorcards : +2.89
Rear Shelf inc speakers: 4.6
Rear Shelf Carpet: + 0.406
Passenger sun visor: 0.455
Cup wheel: 2.120 +180= -2.3kgs
Momo wheel: +1.735kgs
Original bonnet (inc gas struts): -15.7kgs
Carbon Bonnet: +5.4kgs

Total weigh saved: 85.59KGs

15Kgs off my 100 KG saving but I think I will go a fair bit beyond that. Still to come are Recaros, light weight tin ware and whatever else I can loose from the back of the car. The latter will be the focus from now.

Last edited by jack.pe; 10-15-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you'll easily hit more than 100kgs, top work

How about replacing your laminated plastic reg plate with a self ashesive one or changing your airbox/air filter for a direct bolt on filter
Old 10-13-2013, 06:25 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
you'll easily hit more than 100kgs, top work

How about replacing your laminated plastic reg plate with a self ashesive one or changing your airbox/air filter for a direct bolt on filter
Changing to a good Mote. Would save weight getting rid of heavy airbox but not sure the same can be done with the Motronic. Will find out!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Still to come are Recaros, light weight tin ware and whatever else I can loose from the back of the car. The latter will be the focus from now.
Jack are you going for fiberglass tinware? I'm trying to remember if we have discussed before but I am interested in this too and have the number of Roger Harradine who made up a set for Alex P - although that was a wee while ago and I havent phoned him as yet to confirm he is up for making up new sets. If he is I'm sure we could get a few others interested and have a batch made up?

I am hoping to get this done by end of year probably, as I am planning an engine out job thanks to the OEM oil leaks and some signs of expiry of my (original) clutch..not bad for 130k miles I guess.

Cheers
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Jack are you going for fiberglass tinware? I'm trying to remember if we have discussed before but I am interested in this too and have the number of Roger Harradine who made up a set for Alex P - although that was a wee while ago and I havent phoned him as yet to confirm he is up for making up new sets. If he is I'm sure we could get a few others interested and have a batch made up?

I am hoping to get this done by end of year probably, as I am planning an engine out job thanks to the OEM oil leaks and some signs of expiry of my (original) clutch..not bad for 130k miles I guess.

Cheers
Hi,

Yes, my car is going in for a rebuild on the 2nd of Novemeber at RedTek and will get lightweight tinware. Nick has a supplier who might be the same guy you're talking about... but it has been done before. I'll ask for his details so you can contact him direct.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jack, so it sounds like there is a kosher 'supply' being used by the builders now, (and yes that might be Roger of course). Makes sense rather than a set of the super expensive rust-o-matic OEM stuff, its about time! So I would be very grateful if you could ask Nick if he could divulge the supplier (and cost?) when you are in seeing him.
For my rebuild 9M is my likely destination although nothing confirmed - maybe they are offering FG tins for their rebuilds now too. A big part of it for me is trying to trim some of the costs so I appreciate your help.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Edit - also found this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-tin-ware.html, suggesting that Nick does the set for about £400. So I'll prob get in touch with him myself when I know my timescale. Sorry to hijack, er, Jack..
Old 10-15-2013, 05:52 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Removed so far in Kgs:
Tools: 0.54
Front Fogs:1.1
Spare tire: 13.4
Rear under-tray: 4.97
Tray bolts: 0.15
Tire Pump: 1.2
Car Jack: 2.04
Rear Seat backs: 6
Rear footwell carpet: 0.7
*Cat bypass: 10kg (est)
*Rs flywheel: 10kg (est)
Rear wiper delete: 6
Intensive wash reservoir: Still need to weigh
Rear Belts: 2.2
Rear gas struts: 0.48
Frunk carpet: 2.3
Spoiler mechanism: 0.875 (now put back so this has been removed from figures)
Stereo Head Unit (Pioneer): 1.8
Doorcards: 9.8
RS Doorcards : +2.89
Rear Shelf inc speakers: 4.6
Rear Shelf Carpet: + 0.406
Passenger sun visor: 0.455
Cup wheel: 2.120 +180= -2.3kgs
Momo wheel: +1.735kgs
Original bonnet (inc gas struts): -15.7kgs
Carbon Bonnet: +5.4kgs

Total weigh saved: 85.59KGs

15Kgs off my 100 KG saving but I think I will go a fair bit beyond that. Still to come are Recaros, light weight tin ware and whatever else I can loose from the back of the car. The latter will be the focus from now.
hi ,
why would you remove the tools and jack ?
this is two things I would always keep in, in case ....
Old 10-15-2013, 06:00 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

To be honest I've kept some emergency tools and should include them, albeit less and lighter. But no need for the jack as I have removed the spare wheel anyhow so can't use it. Just bought a can of spray repair to fix any punctures.. Just so long as they're not as bad as Franks was!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

me too spare wheel out and repair kit, but you never know what you need to do to repair the tire this why my jack is still in;
Frank tire was something...!?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the extra weight in the nose not help with weight distribution and handling?
I heard a rumor that Porsche used to put lead in the front to keep the nose down?(not sure how true this is).
Just wondered Jack, is your car going to be an out and out racer?
And
Is there a massive difference in performance and handling without the 85kgs?
I am curious,as a street car It seems that your pulling all the luxury out and as an amateur racer, is it going to make that much difference...I have never raced so I am probably totally wrong on this??
Cheers
Steve
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

I think race team do so, but on 900/1000 kg car...
85 kg start to make a difference, the car is more agile, more responsive ...specially if some of it come from a light flywheel and weight saved from the wheels,
I recon you would go faster on light car with less power,
in another words for the same power / weight ratio ...
Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Default Difference

Originally Posted by jotaking
Does the extra weight in the nose not help with weight distribution and handling?
I heard a rumor that Porsche used to put lead in the front to keep the nose down?(not sure how true this is).
Just wondered Jack, is your car going to be an out and out racer?
And
Is there a massive difference in performance and handling without the 85kgs?
I am curious,as a street car It seems that your pulling all the luxury out and as an amateur racer, is it going to make that much difference...I have never raced so I am probably totally wrong on this??
Cheers
Steve
Hey Steve,

I can most definitely feel the difference already. Car feels much more agile, light and happy to change direction. With the correct geo the handling seems fine, I have to be fair raised the back end a little to put more weight on the front. Also, to my mind i've not lost any luxury, all the items I've removed make no difference to me. I accept others may not feel the same, but for me going to lightweight door cards, removing the rear seats, the spare, rear wiper and the other things make no difference to the car's comfort. Removing the sound deadening would and this is why I am not taking it out.

My main purpose if to remove the superfluous WITHOUT affecting the car's drivability on the road. I feel most cars of the last 20 years are full of unnecessary weight..affecting handling, performance and economy. Such a complete waste. Only now that manufacturers seem to be taking it more seriously, but all the mod cons people now expect goes against them.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:49 AM
jotaking
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With it now.

It did seem a bit alien to me, as I use my car as a summers day cruiser, elbow out of the window driving.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Good luck shedding more Lbs

Also,

Are you getting the BB treatment at Redtek?

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jotaking
With it now.

It did seem a bit alien to me, as I use my car as a summers day cruiser, elbow out of the window driving.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Good luck shedding more Lbs

Also,

Are you getting the BB treatment at Redtek?

Cheers
Steve
No, my idea is to get increased performance through weight loss as opposed to more engine power. Thus Nick will be looking at ways to loose weight and then doing a thorough rebuild as the engine needs it. If the cam is worn I may go for a cup cam. Car already has a cup pipe and 100 cell cat, plus an RS flywheel so it feels sprightly enough to me. Plus I like the idea of efficiency so not keen to increase fuel consumption..

Quick Reply: Blue C4 - Evolution