Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension refresh items, what else should I buy/consider?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Suspension refresh items, what else should I buy/consider?

So my car is approaching 100k miles on stock suspension and it is not pleasant to drive near the limit, at all.

I've been slowly accumulating parts for the past 18 months and i'm getting pretty close to what I think is everything I need to do a complete refresh in the coming months, but I want to make sure i'm not leaving out anything key.

Parts I have lined up include:

-Bilstein HDs
-H&R red Turbo springs
-OEM top mounts (used/spare set I got w/ the springs/shocks, current budget doesn't allow for Rennline monoballs f/r)
-Rennline strut brace
-ERP spring plates (still need to buy the *protective boots to seal/preserve the monoballs)
-993 rack mount brace
-polyurethane rack bushings
-reuse OEM swaybars (20mm front, 20mm rear, right? My car is a '91 C2)
-*Superpro polyurethane swaybar bushings, 20f/20r (less than 1/2 price of Powerflex units)
-*Powerflex polyurethane bushes for front wishbones and rear trailing arms

* = item I haven't bought yet

I'm not sure if I should consider replacing the ball joints, tie-rod ends, and swaybar drop links.

Last edited by Vandit; 11-11-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: incorrect OEM swaybar sizes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your MY91 is 20mm front & 20mm rear--sway bars. If i remember correctly, you autocross the car? How does the car feel with the OE bars?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:03 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When doing a refresh my Indy found the front lower wishbone bushes needed to be removed and replaced, so probably factor this into the refresh. I guess the rear top mounts will also be past their best but the KW's fitted to my car came pre installed with a monoball top. Once complete get a good corner balance and Geo done then enjoy
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

You could get your steering-rack get prophylactic resealed... I think it´s only ~200,- Bucks
Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ja78911sc
Your MY91 is 20mm front & 20mm rear--sway bars. If i remember correctly, you autocross the car? How does the car feel with the OE bars?
Thanks for the heads-up. I went out there w/ my low-tech caliper and it appears they are 20mm all around.

I wonder why lots of people have said the rear is 21mm in older threads I was reading through.

The car currently feels like a mess, kinda hard to say it needs swaybar tuning in any particular direction.

Originally Posted by ras62
When doing a refresh my Indy found the front lower wishbone bushes needed to be removed and replaced, so probably factor this into the refresh.
I'm going to do the Powerflex bushes on the front and rear bushing points on the front wishbones.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:40 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Originally Posted by Vandit
Thanks for the heads-up. I went out there w/ my low-tech caliper and it appears they are 20mm all around.

I wonder why lots of people have said the rear is 21mm in older threads I was reading through.

The car currently feels like a mess, kinda hard to say it needs swaybar tuning in any particular direction.

I'm going to do the Powerflex bushes on the front and rear bushing points on the front wishbones.
MY90 was equipped with 21mm rear bars--C2. Yes, I thought about my question after I posted. You have several other suspension items to address before you can answer that question.

I am planning on replacing my front bushings this winter. I have similar miles on my car. I am looking at the Walrod bushings. The guys on the 993 board have posted great feedback and Chris Walrod is a frequent poster.

I am also on the fence about tie rods and ball joints. Considering the age, miles, tracking the car and I will have everything unbuckled up front, I will most likely replace.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:26 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just about to go through this as well so thanks for posting - let us know how the project goes. A good reminder that there can be far more to do than just shocks & springs.

For the top mounts do they come with the rubber stops & boot etc? All the parts from 3-6 on the standard diagram http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-94/402-00.php
Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I just looked at my Technical Data Without Quesswork book (what I should have done in the first place, lol), and yea, MY90 was 21mm in the rear, and from MY91 forward is 20mm. Interesting.

As for the top mounts, i'm not sure. I got lucky the like-new set of springs/struts I bought came w/ OEM mounts installed.

I believe the bump stop and boot may be strut/shock specific. I know there's been discussion about Bilsteins and internal vs external bump stops. I'm just going to run them as they came, the way they were assembled by the prior owner.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Superpro & Powerflex bushing sets ordered last night from Design911. Even w/ int'l shipping from the UK, they're cheaper than what I found from other vendors domestically. No VAT shipped to the US.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:08 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Superpro & Powerflex bushing sets ordered last night from Design911. Even w/ int'l shipping from the UK, they're cheaper than what I found from other vendors domestically. No VAT shipped to the US.
What about Elephant Racing rubber bushings? They have 2 types.
http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...erbushings.htm

Text fromElephant:
Front Control Arm Front bushing -
We see this bushing fail with great regularity on 993 and 964 cars. Failures seem mileage independent, the rubber deteriorates due to age. The symptom is vibration felt in the steering wheel.

Stock-hardness - Restores performance and ride quality to original.
Sport-Hardness - Similar to the 993 RS bushing, sport hardness rubber is about 25% firmer. Deflects less under cornering loads and thereby maintains alignment more precisely.

Rear Trailing Arm bushing for 964 - ($750???!!!!)
Finally a way to replace the rubber trailing arm bushings without buying new trailing arms. This is a complete kit that includes rubber bushings, metal cores, pressing tools, and lubricant. Everything you need to replace bushings on a pair of 964 trailing arms.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I hadn't seen Elephant sold a solution other than monoballs. They're still expense tho.

Superpro swaybar bushes (2 sets, f & r), Powerflex front wishbone kit (all 4 bushes), and Powerflex rear trailing arm kit came out to $548 total (that includes $80 in shipping).

Quick Reply: Suspension refresh items, what else should I buy/consider?