Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best exhaust for the 964?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no hype with the Wong chip as far as I am concerned, my 90 was MUCH more responsive with the wong chip. I had no idle issues with stock chip, CUP chip or the autothority chips but had never been satisfied with any of the aftermarket chips till I installed the Steve Wong chip..its got a permanent home in my DME!
The difference in throttle response between the autothority chip and the wong chip was night and day

Wong chip almost completely eliminated backfire and the throttle response was so good it was almost scary!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM
ScottR
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
There is no hype with the Wong chip as far as I am concerned, my 90 was MUCH more responsive with the wong chip. I had no idle issues with stock chip, CUP chip or the autothority chips but had never been satisfied with any of the aftermarket chips till I installed the Steve Wong chip..its got a permanent home in my DME!
The difference in throttle response between the autothority chip and the wong chip was night and day

Wong chip almost completely eliminated backfire and the throttle response was so good it was almost scary!
So it is as simple as

1) pays yer money
2) install the chip (DIY)
3) feel the force

?

( sorry, don't mean to be taking this off topic, happy to start a new thread is anyone waves !)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:05 PM
philt68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crg53
If you want your 964 to have a SHRIEKY sound, you will need an exhaust off the Carrera GT. sound clip HERE

that may be just a touch too castrati...

Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottR
So it is as simple as

1) pays yer money
2) install the chip (DIY)
3) feel the force
?
Yes, it is as simple as that, but DO NOT expect a huge difference, it is a subtle change in the right direction, and in my opinion worth the cost of admission.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Cup will split your secondary (and that sounds weird).
wait what? Cup pipe (primary) will split the secondary exhaust?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by philt68
that may be just a touch too castrati...

Hmm..... never thought the sound of a Carrera GT as Castrati.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A primary bypass can/will split your secondary muffler... On my car it took less than 1000 miles.

Didn't matter to me- I liked the G-pipe better anyway.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Smokey7766
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2 coppers worth....look to fabspeed....my dual out exhaust set up is mean sounding....helps that it's hooked to a beefy 3.8 though...

had a guy ask if I had stuffed a corvette motor into it...I said no just a tiny little 6 banger....LOL
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sultan
wait what? Cup pipe (primary) will split the secondary exhaust?
Did it twice on mine until b&b headers and muffler went on and no splitting anymore
Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Ok well ,that made my decision a little easier, I guess G-pipe it is.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:52 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
A primary bypass can/will split your secondary muffler... On my car it took less than 1000 miles.

Didn't matter to me- I liked the G-pipe better anyway.
Glad you're happy with the G...definitely has it's own big chested Subi sound.

Lots of people have Primary bypasses on this forum...and I have only heard of a handful of blown secondary exhausts. Yes it can happen...but it sure doesn't help the new people on this forum to read unsubstantiated comments like that.

....like when someone says stay away from a C4 because they are full of problems...
Old 11-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Defiant
Instructor

I've got a Fabspeed 2 in 2 out (custom) with European Racing headers I just took off my car. The 2nd out is pointed down at the ground so it looks completely stock. The car had an amazing throaty sound. PM me if your interested. I wish I had thought to shoot video with sound before we took them off! The previous owner of the car spent a small fortune on this setup. I went with an even more aggressive track setup.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here are my two coppers thrown in the fire as well. I have a cup and a J pipe and I like each for diff reasons. The cups sounds better when you are on the pipe more of a P car sound. The J pipe sounds better when you are going around town at speeds within the law.
I have the J piipe on now and get comments all the time bout how good the car sounds. But the cup is going back on for a while because on the pipe it really rocks.
Also did notice the diff with the cup giving better top end and the J giving better grunt down low.
Now it starts to pull about 1.5 rpm .. All this is not much but there is a diff..
Wait gotta throw in a few more coppers on this one...
Defiant drop a line i am in Houston as well ...
Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

I had my shop install a magnaflow 3" in 3"out muffler (please don't ask for M# i don't recall) deleted cat and everything after. Had them make it so I can use any stock or aftermarket tip but went with a 4" round Dansk SS tip cost all in minus the tip was under $500 complete installation.

Car dynoed at 290 bhp 280 tq best yet it sounds great from the outside and is not overbearingly loud inside has absolutely no drone at any speeds like may aftermarket mufflers.

I don't have any pictures of the muffler but you might be able to see the tip in this one.
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Brideyo
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
I had my shop install a magnaflow 3" in 3"out muffler (please don't ask for M# i don't recall) deleted cat and everything after. Had them make it so I can use any stock or aftermarket tip but went with a 4" round Dansk SS tip cost all in minus the tip was under $500 complete installation.

Car dynoed at 290 bhp 280 tq best yet it sounds great from the outside and is not overbearingly loud inside has absolutely no drone at any speeds like may aftermarket mufflers.

I don't have any pictures of the muffler but you might be able to see the tip in this one.
Rear wing on a narrow body?????

Quick Reply: best exhaust for the 964?