Sponsored by:

Concerns before 964 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Concerns before 964 purchase

Looked at my first 964 today and liked it MUCH more than the SC or 3.2 Carreras I've driven. The car in question is exactly what I want as far as color and being a Carrera 4. It was in nice condition inside and out with 110k.

My concerns on the test drive consisted of:

- Burning oil smell (owner also stated a minor leak on garage floor while sitting)
- An intermittent gurgling or grinding sound that seemed to be coming from the rear. Sounded as if it could be a motor/mechanism but not sure if it was normal. Problems with the AWD came to mind and worried me.
- Blower/Climate control didn't seem to work, but the AC light still illuminated when toggled.

Motor ran strong but how worried should I be with a consistent oil burning smell in the cabin? Were head stud issues mostly worked out with the 964? The price is discounted to reflect the above and if I wait for a PPI the car will most likely be gone. Would like your thoughts.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has a leaky rocker cover (or power steering seal) then it will dribble oil onto the exhaust, and that will manifest in a burning smell when it all gets up to temp. If you poke your head under the back and the heat exchangers are coated with black burnt oil, then that's your clue. TBH this is what it sounds like.

Gurgling sound from the b-pillar on the right side of the car when the engine is running, is the sound of oil returning to the dry sump tank. That's quite normal.

Blowers not working can be down to quite a few possibilities, which range from the engine compartment blower being seized (which blows fuses and/or causes the whole system to shut down as a fail safe), to dead dash fans, to dead amplifier for the dash fans. All of the above have been covered in various DIY threads on here, and so we can help you out should you decide to buy It's a hard one to call, though since the remedies range from easy/cheap to expensive/hard.

Head stud issues were mostly worked out with the 964 compared to the previous 911s. You still do hear of it occurring, although it seems to be quite rare.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 PM
scped
Instructor

The oil smell is likely drips on the exhaust manifold - not uncommon
Any grinding sound should be a red flag
Assume sorting a climate control issue will be hundreds or more

You will read lots of threads recommending a PPI with lots of experience behind them. It is worth getting one to have facts so you can decide to walk away, or negotiate a price knowing what is in store.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

So you are telling me that cars (other than porsches) normally do not smell like oil burning in the cabin ??? I must drive in one of these
  • Most (not all) of our cars leak. you need to determine how bad the leak is and if you can live with it.
  • A Gurgling sound from the right rear is normal usually after start up. Grinding sounds are never good.
  • Blower/Climate control problems are common. I have replaced my HVAC control on my car.

A PPI is your friend, You may not need it but it could be a costly mistake.
It seems like the perfect one will get away , but when buying a 964 you need to take your time and find the one that is right for you. One that you can enjoy and use your money for making modifications to make it the way you want it and not always fixing something you never see ...

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Looked at my first 964 today and liked it MUCH more than the SC or 3.2 Carreras I've driven. The car in question is exactly what I want as far as color and being a Carrera 4. It was in nice condition inside and out with 110k.

My concerns on the test drive consisted of:

- Burning oil smell (owner also stated a minor leak on garage floor while sitting)
- An intermittent gurgling or grinding sound that seemed to be coming from the rear. Sounded as if it could be a motor/mechanism but not sure if it was normal. Problems with the AWD came to mind and worried me.
- Blower/Climate control didn't seem to work, but the AC light still illuminated when toggled.

Motor ran strong but how worried should I be with a consistent oil burning smell in the cabin? Were head stud issues mostly worked out with the 964? The price is discounted to reflect the above and if I wait for a PPI the car will most likely be gone. Would like your thoughts.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all sounds normal enough to me.

Yes, aircooled 911 often smell of burnt oil .
The gurgling is also normal.
and its not uncommon for the CCU to not work.

Yeah have someone that knows the cars look at it first.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:14 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

DONT buy without a PPI. I have in the past convinced myself for various reasons not to bother:

1. Car will be gone by time it is done
2. I know enough not to need it
3. car has great history...

I have almost always regretted it big time. By the time I got the 964 I learned my lesson and got it PPI'd before buying. A seller that seems reluctant to let you do it, no matter how they dress it up, is a seller to be avoided.

P.S - Sometimes mine also smells of oil in the cabin..
Old 10-29-2012, 03:02 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the gurgling/grinding noise happens more when you turn the steering wheel it could be low power steering fluid. Mostly caused by leaking steering rack....ask me how I know!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 PM
N24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could the grinding sound be the rear spoiler going up/down - they can sound terrible when the bearing goes.
Simple & relatively cheap fix.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:23 PM
mozsan
Advanced

re: car will be gone by the time it's done..

I agree with Jack.pe .... that's something we all felt once ( well everytime we bought a classic...I'd go even further and find out how much time and money you should spend on fixing what seems to be "minor'..Because once she's yours what you though you can live with will become your everyday worry.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

It's amazing how we tolerate burnt oil smell. This is crazy and I am a guy who owns two of these.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

DON'T BUY WITHOUT A PPI !!!!!!

Maybe you could hold the car with a deposit to keep it from slipping away, but DON'T BUY WITHOUT A PPI!

The above posts are right on target regarding oil smell, head studs, etc. Sounds like you had some experience with earlier model 911's, as I did. I think you will find the 964 far superior. Oh, and don't worry about the AWD, other than the accelerometers. See how many ACTUAL cases of issues you can find here with the system, although many of the C2 guys with no C4 experience will rail against them. I'll never have another 2WD 911!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 AM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

You can considerate buying under the condition that the car passes a PPI with no more than $ XXX (like 500 - 2000) on defects. This will overcome the "car will be gone by the time the PPI is done.." issue.

Does the car pass the PPI it's yours, does is fail,... re-negotiate, ... does it fail big time, walk/run away

Any seller who is reluctant is to be avoided.... saves you the cost of the PPI as well
Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
If the gurgling/grinding noise happens more when you turn the steering wheel it could be low power steering fluid. Mostly caused by leaking steering rack....ask me how I know!
...another source of power steering fluid leaks is the hose below the reservoir...replacing the bottom hose clamp usually corrects the problem.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I set a trap for the power steering pump drips.
Oil dripped out the back (seal) facing the engine
And fluid seeped out of the hose.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tion-2.html#17

The original fluid was black and I mistook it for oil. Changing the fluid highlighted a fluid drip at the hose.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

pcarfan944 - where are you located?

Perhaps there is someone close-by who can do a RennFax (Rennlist equivalent of a CarFax to eyeball the car) for you.

Marc

Quick Reply: Concerns before 964 purchase