Weight saving questions...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Weight saving questions...?

Hi guys ,

I am planing to try and save some more weight in future, I would like your opinion and experience , These numbers are just guesing...
Would you say they are correct ?

Front *sound proof floors L & *R = 4 kg *
Front & back drilled*impact beams= 4 kg
Front Air bag *deletion * *= *3 kg *
Sun roof deletion * *= 16 kg.*
Rear fiber glass spoiler =3 kg. or fibre glass Rear deck hood =2kg
Front fiber glass hood *=4 kg
front L & R fiber glass wings = 5 kg.*

Thanks !

Last edited by kos11-12; 10-29-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have removed some stuff off my car in attempt to convert to RS clone, and I can tell you that the front air bags are not that heavy (not 6kg) more like 2.5-3 kg. Also sunroof not that heavy, mine weighed only 13lbs (>6kg). Where you can obtained the best resukts is with the doors RS conversion (I lost 11 pounds on each side, also the rear speaker and radio will offer some weight savings.
A LWFW will also help a lot, going with lightweight wheels (OZ Allegeritta) is also a bonus.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2012, 05:15 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PChar
I have removed some stuff off my car in attempt to convert to RS clone, and I can tell you that the front air bags are not that heavy (not 6kg) more like 2.5-3 kg. Also sunroof not that heavy, mine weighed only 13lbs (>6kg). Where you can obtained the best resukts is with the doors RS conversion (I lost 11 pounds on each side, also the rear speaker and radio will offer some weight savings.
A LWFW will also help a lot, going with lightweight wheels (OZ Allegeritta) is also a bonus.

Good luck
Hi pchar I thought the airbag is 2,5 to 3 kg this is what I mention , and have RS door and Allegueritas .....& LWF , see my signature....
I m surprise the sunroof is only 6 kg I thought it was more , interesting , yes I will get rid of the rear speakers
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 PM
mozsan
Advanced

sunroof itself should be around 6-7 kgs, but add the cables, guides , motor etc...you are easily into 12-13 kg area. Sheet metal to replace sunroof + 2kgs maybe??
Old 10-30-2012, 03:24 AM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Sit ups
Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PChar

Good luck
Originally Posted by Paulie964
Sit ups
Not heavy lol , steady 75 kg for years....
Should start a new thread,
How heavy 964 drivers are ...and don't you dare lying ....
Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

If you´re number are the net effect and not the "new" weight the front hood looks low. It weighs near 16 kg and a good carbon fibre hood like the one I bought from MA Shaw/Getty is 4,6 kg so more 11 kg than 4 kg.

Thomas
Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 AM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

There is weight to be saved in the tyres

I believe Conti sportcontact 3 is a good option, maybe other tyres as well...
Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
If you´re number are the net effect and not the "new" weight the front hood looks low. It weighs near 16 kg and a good carbon fibre hood like the one I bought from MA Shaw/Getty is 4,6 kg so more 11 kg than 4 kg.

Thomas
Great info Thomas , well that's not such a bad cost for the amont of weight saved, plus deleting the dampers and probably a sticker instead of the brass Porsche badge .
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
PChar
Racer

I also removed my A/C compressor, condenser and lines for a 38 lbs savings.
A small Odysee battery will also save you almost 18 lbs over a stock OEM battery.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 AM
PChar
Racer

Sorry, I did it again, forgot to read your signature,..
but the A/C stuff weighs quite a lot and sits where it needs to be removed ... at the rear.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 PM
timtim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

get rid of your c4 gear box... or at least thr front parts of it... this will give you best drivability and the best bang for the money,
look for an RS steering - instead of the powersteering,
strip your interior down to RS specs (incl. small kneebumper),
go for RS windows (at least the rear ones),
go for an RS flywheel,
remove / strip your wiring loom (mine was minus 2,5 kg) - in wintertime I will remove my radio and the cables/speaker in and to the doors...

have a look into your exhaust set up... get rid of the original heavy metal ;-) and look for example at: dw-technik.de (will save you some 15 KG and gives you some nicce HP (approx. 20hp).

So there is still some work to do. I am currently at 1180 KG with 20l Super, and the aim is 1150 KG.

Cheers, Tim
Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Hi guys ,

I am planing to try and save some more weight in future, I would like your opinion and experience , These numbers are just guesing...
Would you say they are correct ?

Front *sound proof floors L & *R = 4 kg *
Front & back drilled*impact beams= 4 kg
Front Air bag *deletion * *= *3 kg *
Sun roof deletion * *= 16 kg.*
Rear fiber glass spoiler =3 kg. or fibre glass Rear deck hood =2kg
Front fiber glass hood *=4 kg
front L & R fiber glass wings = 5 kg.*

Thanks !
Here's the weight ss for parts removed & added to my 993

additionally
the delta between RS clutch/fw & stock dual mass 20#
wheels & tires can make a big biff too, the delta between my lightest and heaviest set of same sized 993 18s is 42#
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill, thanks for posting that list

I can't comment on your numbers but there are a few ways of going about lightening a car.

The cheap option would be to strip out all the luxury items like, electric seats, rear seats, carpets, trim, climate control, sound sytem etc.

The expensive option with the most impact on performance would be to reduce weight up high to lower the centre of gravity eg sunroof delete, out the back to improve front/rear weight distribution eg lightweight engine lid or the unsprung parts to improve cornering eg alumnium 993RS front uprights.

Or for maximum effect for minium money you could combine both options by firstly selling off the stock parts you strip to buy new lighter parts.

I also think its a mistake some people don't tend to bother with the smaller lighter car parts as they don't weigh much eg interior lights but if you take the lights out, then remove the wiring and door switches. There are plenty of these lighter parts on the car which add up to some decent weight savings.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Hi Guys thanks for your replies !!

the AC is a must where we live, maybe one day someone would come up with a light electric upgrade that could be fitted in the front trunk, the car is used as road and track...I am just trying to do the obvious things and keep a minimum of comfort,

I think the sunroof and the front hood would be a priority, those are big weight savings,

Bill
thanks for the list that's very interesting , I didn't thought the RS upright made such a difference ...do you mean both or per conner ? I saw some pictures of you impact beams drilled did that made any difference ?

Captain,
agreed the front/back ratio is important and any little weights will add up and make a big saving
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Weight saving questions...?