Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts
Default bad top speed and

Hi,
i´ve a "prolbem" with my C4.
I own the car for four years now. The car always reved to the reds in the 5th gear (without spoiler curtain and with drilled airbox).
After fitting a LWF with new clutch this year in july, i recognized a lack of topspeed and the car revs a little bit tough (is this word here correct? I mean the opposite of lively) in the higher rev-area. The resonance-flag activates, throttle cable opens the throttle valve full (double and tripple-checked this). The open-throttle-switch gets actuated (double checked).

Spoiler curtain is renewed (or, gets installed. My car had no curtain when i bought it).

The car idles fine. Starts hot and cold perfectly. Needs same fuel (round about) as the last years (now 98octane, during the last years mostly just 95octane). Same oil consumption as the previos years.

Airbox was drilled. No i´ve fitted an airbox-cover "cupstyle". Only an open frame to hold the air filter. Air-Filter is new (oem paper). Spark plugs are less then 10k kilometers old.
Spark wires are fine, distributor belt is ok, the whole assembly had an overhaul four year (~25k kilometers) ago.

But:
I fitted a cheap 200cell catalytic converter last year with a cheap noname oxygen sensor. No problems so long.

This year, during a trip to italy, the car hesitates when is was hot-restarted. Quite bad after refuel-stops.

I disconected the O2 sensor and the hesitation was gone, so i drove round about ~1,5k without oxigen sensor and replaced it with an OEM bosch part at home. Problem was solved, but my car remaind "slow".

The oxygen sensor problem was at the same time the lwf was fitted by an aircooled-shop.

Could it be, that the oxygen-sensor problem destroyed my catalytic converter? Could the converter be partly melted?

The car runs not bad, but there is the lack of top-speed of round about 20kph - 25kph....

sorry for my strange english

regards thilo
Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM
jinos
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

How long have you ran with the new o2 sensor? Had the same issue even with the new o2 sensor but disappeared after a few days. From my understanding it takes 40 cycles to clear out the fault code and go normal. Give it a few days and if problem still occurs check the cat and check what fault codes are thrown.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

I fitted the bosch OEM sensor in the middle of august and drove round about 1k kilometers in the meantime...

checking potential failure codes could be a good idea. I´ll do this tomorow!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try a DME system adaption or if that's not convenient disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then go for a good drive.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:19 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

I thought, at full throttle is the oxygen-sensor loop deactivated!?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:54 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you done anything else that we should know of?

When I had the LWF/clutch fitted, there was no loss of performance. My butt even told me that it got to the red line quicker (although I admit to have never dared to try and reach the red line in 5th!).

However, earlier this year my car started to struggle to the red line. I couldn't work out why. Then I came across this article:

Don't use 10W-60 oil

I then realized that 10W-60 had been put in the car (I previously had 15W-50 in). So, I dumped out the 10W-60 for a thinner oil again....and the car was back to normal!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
I thought, at full throttle is the oxygen-sensor loop deactivated!?
Correct!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

@boxsey
I saw your posting some days ago and yes, i've changed from 10w40 to 10w60 this spring!

But my dads 964 had same change and there was no difference in performance...

On sunday i'll change my cat against the previous ceramic stuff and will See what if something changes... then season is over in the end of october.

Next time i use 10w40 again!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On sunday i'll change my cat against the previous ceramic stuff and will See what if something changes...
It will be easy at that point to inspect the current catcon for damage- just look at the cell structure.

...then season is over in the end of october.
What? That's the beauty of a C4- the season never ends!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

It will be easy at that point to inspect the current catcon for damage- just look at the cell structure.
yes, of course. But ceramic stuff was wrong. I think the orig. cat is an 400cell metal cat-converter, right?!

What? That's the beauty of a C4- the season never ends!

yes. Because of my poor little kilometers per year and the amount of salt on our roads during the winter, i think it is not worth to "destroy" the car in the winter. Usually, i need only on christmas a car during my 4 month winter-storage period.

But, this year i bought a winter (or, future all-season) car. A Golf (VW rabbit in US?) Variant with the smallest engine

Well,
i did a dme refresh over-night (ground disconnected) and it runs fine as before. I couldn´t test topspeed yet (when driving to the office across munich)....

I keep you informed guys...
Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Have you done anything else that we should know of?

When I had the LWF/clutch fitted, there was no loss of performance. My butt even told me that it got to the red line quicker (although I admit to have never dared to try and reach the red line in 5th!).

However, earlier this year my car started to struggle to the red line. I couldn't work out why. Then I came across this article:

Don't use 10W-60 oil

I then realized that 10W-60 had been put in the car (I previously had 15W-50 in). So, I dumped out the 10W-60 for a thinner oil again....and the car was back to normal!
Aha...I just put in 10/60W oil and did notice that it seemed to run out of puff about 300rpm before redline?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,
i did a dme refresh over-night (ground disconnected) and it runs fine as before.
waste of time.

get a bosch hammer for a proper system adaptation.

not that this is necessarily the solution, but someone suggested this above and I think your 'battery disconnect' technique was your poor response.

Quick Reply: bad top speed and