Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catching up--- what have you been up to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012 | 12:42 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Default catching up--- what have you been up to?

Not much here from me, but I did drive the P-car around 2 days in a row. runs great, but really missing the cab top functions- dammit. Winter project!

nothing else much going on. Various photo projects, including a marathon photo day with 3 clients back to back to back with the first one a sunrise (started an hr later than sunrise) beach shoot.

what have you been doing?
Old 09-04-2012 | 12:54 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I'm finally putting the tranny back in 'Lil Claudia after two and a half months without.

Broke the input shaft, all good - replaced it, third gear syncro and third gear. Come to find out the 6spd dog ring will not play with the 5spd op sleeve (very small difference, my guy is beside himself) - so the tranny came back out and was re-shipped to OR.

Back now, one DE event for training and then three more races this year.

Drought, heat and miserable here. But the pup is doing well...

Old 09-04-2012 | 01:15 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

From: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!

Still have the car on the trailer following a DE where I blew out the differential! Will be dropping the engine/trans to determine root cause and fix it.
Old 09-04-2012 | 01:46 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Helped get my GF's daughter back to college. Spent 2 weeks getting her "new" to her car ready to take with her. It has a mile-long list of deferred maintenance. All is good now. Whew!

Hawk - I can relate about the convertible top. Mine stopped working a few weeks ago. The motor doesn't make any noise. I suspect its a faulty controller but have decided to let it wait until the winter. I want to finish my engine rebuild for my coupe. I'm nearly ready to start assembly. The parts arrived. Saturday, I constructed the special Porsche tools to hold the rods when you assemble the case. Spent the rest of the day cleaning my parts washer. I will be installing a full time filter like RicardoD's (link). I have a few parts on order. Should be able to finish it next weekend. While I had it drained, decided to renew the solvent. Had to go to two stores to get enough solvent (15 gallons).

Meanwhile, driving the C4 cab as my daily driver. Fall is approaching. Trying to get as much 964 driving time as I can.
Old 09-04-2012 | 02:30 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

The car has been on jack stands since June as I've been going through a bunch of small projects. It's just so hot here in Texas, spending any time in the garage is brutal.
Old 09-04-2012 | 02:36 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
The car has been on jack stands since June as I've been going through a bunch of small projects. It's just so hot here in Texas, spending any time in the garage is brutal.
Do you have any windows in the garage? I added a window air conditioner to mine for those hot or muggy days. It helps a lot. Granted TX weather is a lot warmer than NH but it might be worth investigating.
Old 09-04-2012 | 02:54 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I spent the weekend trying to understand what genius Porsche engineer designed the air con bracket so that you have to remove the crankshaft pulley first in order for it to slide out. It looks like it was done on purpose. Photo below of material that interferes.
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2012 | 03:00 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Solution, all it takes is a Dremel w/ a cutoff wheel.
Old 09-04-2012 | 03:12 PM
scped
Instructor

I'd be curious if there was thought behind the "tabs" on the air con bracket - it appears they are not there by accident.

While you were thinking, did you come up with a reason why you need to loosen the air con bracket (but thankfully not remove) in order to remove the engine shroud?
Old 09-04-2012 | 03:46 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

My 964 has seen a lot of the state (NC) recently, last month it was the beaches and more recently it's been the mountains.

I drove over seven hours on Sunday. Up to the Blue Ridge Mountains with my road bike packed in the back seat. Thank goodness I just recharged the AC, as I was shattered after my ride and it was nice to travel on the highway with the AC blasting-out ice cubes! After climbing Mt. Mitchell (NC) my body was worn out, but I have to say the standard sport seats are very comfortable. Well, a lot more comfortable than a bike seat.

Also just waxed the car. After recently taking the car to the beach, there were a bunch of stubborn water spots on the paint that hand washing wouldn't remove. It's the first time I've hand polished the whole car, Meguiar's Ultimate Compund (no affil) cleaned up the paint and it really, really shines now... (I'm also a huge fan of Meguiar's NXT wax. Fast on, and easy off).

Of course I usually have the camera packed when I'm out on an adventure. Random shot from Sunday...

In two weeks I'll take the car up to VIR to watch the ALMS race! (VIR)
Old 09-04-2012 | 03:55 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Vandit,

Yes, here is the solution, after a few minutes with my angle grinder.
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2012 | 07:21 PM
Laker
Drifting

I hit the local Cars and Coffee on Saturday morning and bumped into PChar, then the rain started and hasn't stopped since. With the down time, I finally made my sound blanket retaining bar, and am trying to figure out the HID light assembly from D-Zug. @ Ricardo, I've wanted to take a cutoff tool to my 964 on more than one occasion
Old 09-04-2012 | 10:52 PM
hamah
Pro

My top stopped working on Sat so I spent Sun PM fixing the shortened motor/transmission cables and resynching the transmissions afterwards. All is good now. Spend Monday going for a nice drive.

P.S. what's wrong with your top Hawk?
Old 09-05-2012 | 09:59 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Steve, I have to realign the rear transmission gears, and I think the front gear might be stripped out too.
Old 09-05-2012 | 10:18 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

I replaced the horn with a set of twin air horns the original one stopped working. Very easy to do and it's nice to have a proper horn in the 964!

Quick Reply: catching up--- what have you been up to?