Sponsored by:

Alternator cables - need urgent and much appreciated help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 AM
MA7008O
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alternator cables - need urgent and much appreciated help

I know that it may sound silly, but I am confused with the 3 cables that attach to the back of the alternator.
  • Bigger size wire, red color: no problem, to the large nut.
  • Medium size wire, undetermined color: which side, to the smallest nut close to the large one or to the Phillips head machine screw. Is this wire “ground”?
  • Small size wire, kind of green color: which side, to the smallest nut close to the large one or to the Phillips head machine screw.

Thanks a lot for your kind help.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Brown is ground. The Green is the alternator field excite wire. The green wire goes to the post near the big wire. The ground goes under the smaller screw.

Do not reverse it with the ground wire. I accidentally did and it damaged the alternator diodes. When I corrected it, the faulty diodes then damaged the engine wire harness.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 AM
MA7008O
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks very much. The picture is perfect.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 AM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, how long did it's take before you realized the damage on the diodes? And did the alternator charge initially?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

After correcting the installation mistake, I took the car for a test drive for about 10 minutes, on the way home, my radar detector began rebooting continuously. I made a bee line to home and the engine died as we coasted into the driveway. Honestly, I can't remember if the we checked the battery voltage at first or not. I suspect we did.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
cobias1
Racer

Do you remember how long before you caught it?. Might be why mine are blowing.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

It was 10 minutes of driving.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 PM
cobias1
Racer

I guess my question was somewhat misleading..I was wondering how long was it incorrectly connected and how did it run/test out in that fashion. sorry for any confusion. Reason im asking is that as we talked about from before I keep blowing the alternators and the shops getting tired of replacing them. I wondered after reading this would I still be able to run for some time ( a couple of weeks ) with the wires incorrect before blowing the alternator. Hope this makes a bit more clear what and why I was asking these questions.
Dan
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobias1
I guess my question was somewhat misleading..I was wondering how long was it incorrectly connected and how did it run/test out in that fashion. sorry for any confusion. Reason im asking is that as we talked about from before I keep blowing the alternators and the shops getting tired of replacing them. I wondered after reading this would I still be able to run for some time ( a couple of weeks ) with the wires incorrect before blowing the alternator. Hope this makes a bit more clear what and why I was asking these questions.
Dan
Now I understand. I had my wires in the "wrong" position with the engine idling for about 45 minutes. The car stalled with a dead battery. When we realized the mistake and pulled the alternator to correct the wiring. Started the car, checked output voltage. Celebrated the success by taking the car for a drive. On the way home, I realized it wasn't charging. When we got home and removed the alternator and we saw the wire harness was burned. There were 6-10 inches where the insulation was burned off. Some wires were so over heated that the conductor broke.

I was amazed at the damage.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 PM
cobias1
Racer

wooohoo..kinda sorta, finally found out that the reason im blowing alternators is a bad wire in the engine wiring harness loom somewhere. The trackdown begins tomorrow. I'm sitting this one out because electrics arent my thing and two gotta work next couple of nights. just hope the bill teeters toward the easy side of life and they find the break in a reasonable time.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Glad you are narrowing in on the fault. Keep us posted.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 AM
cobias1
Racer

Heya rob, update is not change this week . May go pick up the car next week and take it home and see if I can try and track down the wire myself .
Old 06-02-2013, 01:36 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

&*$&*(Q&#*@!!! I just got my engine started after my big reseal job and the alternator light came back on because I flipped the green and brown wire just like Rob did. At least Rob saved my *** now and I know to fix the alternator diodes before hooking it back up properly again.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Ricardo - Sorry to hear you made the same mistake that I did. In hindsight, I wish the factory or Bosch had put unique sized connectors on those alternator wires, so that it would be "dummy proof".

Definitely get your alternator checked before trying it again.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:31 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

I got my alternator checked at the rebuild shop this morning. Autolectrics They did a quick check on their test bench. Everything is working fine on the alternator so I can hook it back up the right way this time. I didn't damage it but am very glad I checked.

Quick Reply: Alternator cables - need urgent and much appreciated help