My jalopy (project)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 AM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My jalopy (project)

Hello all,

I thought I might share a tid bit on my resto/conversion project. To start off, this is my first Porsche which I perchased on 9/9/11 (kinda nice ring to it, IMO). It's a '91 C2 Tip, met. slate grey, RoW spec, non-sunroof. I got the car for a song with a set of Cup 1's as a bonus. I debated the Tip for a while but after trying a few manuals with my bad left ankle the choice became a no-brainer. The overall plan is to do the lightweight thing with some inspiration taken from the factory Tip Cup. I'm currently collecting parts, sorting the subcomponents and making it a more streetable car for now...

What will be installed within the next couple weeks:

KW V3
Rennline Camber Plates and Mounts
Walrod Bushings
Recaro Pole Positions + Sliders
Cup 1's (now black) with Hankook V12's (Street wheels)
G-Pipe

In the works:

'Custom' Tiptronic TCU

Here's a quick phone pic. I'll get some better shots when the suspension bits go in.

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I like your list of upcoming modifications. It should really transform the car. Keep us updated, we love to see pics!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Cool, I have the red version of your car that I am currently working on. What are your plans for a custom Tip TCU?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM
azander
Racer

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Cool, I have the red version of your car that I am currently working on. What are your plans for a custom Tip TCU?
The focus of the TCU is to have a truer 'manual' mode with only under/over-rev protection and perhaps slightly boosted shift line pressures. It'll have a rudimentary auto mode, basically not usable. (I'm a lazy programmer)

I'll hopefully get the car back within the next week or so with the first round of goodies installed.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:28 PM
azander
Racer

Default dash

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding my dash pictured below where a PO mounted some bracket. It's one of those things - makes the interior feel trashy, however expensive to fix while cosmetics are somewhat low in priority. The dash is otherwise in fine shape. Do you think a vinyl 'repair' guy can fill the holes, smooth out the bumps, and respray the finish? Alternatively, is it feasible for a novice to take a stab at recovering? Worst case sending the stripped core to a pro for recovering. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deffo get it retrimmed by a pro. Vinyl/leather repair guy would get it looking nice but retrimmed with some nice stitching looks perfect.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about flocking it?

obviously no tin blue

http://www.flocking.biz/How_to_Flock_a_Dashboard.html

Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 PM
azander
Racer

Another quick snap with the first phase of 'upgrades' minus the seats... (I'll get some better shots when I get cooler lighting, hmm)
Attached Images  

Last edited by azander; 09-06-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 AM
swaini
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile nice1

nice 1 Azander, all the best.
im subscribed and its to see other tiptronics being modified...
im very interested in doing what you did with the tip's tcu but lack the skill and knowledge..
there's a company in England that advertised(on total 911) a sportier clutch pack, upgraded solenoids which supposedly will b able to take 750Nm.. they werent very cooperative/friendly when i emailed them they kept asking if i track the car, and when they found out out that my use is "fast street" they said that the standard box will take unto 300-330bhp, but didnt support that with any literature or evidence...

swaini
Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great start....

Quick Reply: My jalopy (project)