964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

London 964 Spa Francorchamps Weekend 2013 - The Sequel

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013 | 07:52 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Just got back from my holiday. Car and engine are still seperate. Gearbox issues apparently delayed things. So Engine and gearbox are now mated and Paul hope to have the engine in tonight or tomorrow morning. This is cutting it so fine, do I win the Spa chicken game? Bits from Rennline stuck somewhere in Parcelforce system. Annoying as they arrived in the UK on 3/3/13. That's my strut brace and tow hook.

As the engine has had a full rebuild I've got to run it in for 500 miles or so and then do an oil change. I think if the car is ready I'll have to do this at SPA. I'll give 9E a shout to see if they can help. This is so frustrating as I have book the Eurotunnel paid for the track, insurances etc etc and to be so close is just maddening. I am really scared of stressing the new very expensive engine so soon after putting it together. Even after 500 miles or so, which I'm confident I can do with the trip over etc, and an oil/filter change what do you guys think about stressing the engine on the track ? rev limits etc? One way or another I think I'll be there but not being able to drive her would frustrate massively.

Don't know what to do. Help.
Old 03-18-2013 | 07:56 AM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

I'm no expert but using 9e sounds like the right plan. Call Ken on 01293 226911.
Old 03-18-2013 | 08:04 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hope all you guys get your cars back in time! It seems like everyone who is going is having some major work done beforehand!!
Old 03-18-2013 | 08:06 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Mike, your engine will hold up fine. I went straight on track after running mine in and having an oil change and having a valve check/adjust. New GT3s go straight on track. If you're concerned just shift up at 5K which will be no bad thing. We go there to enjoy the place, not to break any records.

Regarding the oil change I'm sure 9E will happy to do that for you at the track. I would contact them to let them know you need it doing so that you can decide whether you or they supply the oil and filter. If they can't do a valve adjust aswell, just keep the revs down on track as mentioned above.
Old 03-18-2013 | 08:08 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Yikes Mike!

It's Paul's build so he needs to dictate the run in process really, but afaik the bearings bed in very quickly (15-20mins) and piston rings should be bedded in after 500 miles.

Mine's having exhaust studs drilled out as I type, hoping to be all together and ready for tomorrow night.
Old 03-18-2013 | 08:10 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boxsey911
If you're concerned just shift up at 5K which will be no bad thing. We go there to enjoy the place, not to break any records
+1 that's what I plan to do - not sure if that will stick once I get the red mist though
Old 03-18-2013 | 08:13 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Wow some real last minute stuff going on here

Positive thoughts everyone I'm sure you will get there, by hook or by crook

Webcam looks like all the snow will be gone by the end of the day to me, lovely sunny day out there
Old 03-18-2013 | 08:22 AM
996ttalot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MusicMadMike
Just got back from my holiday. Car and engine are still seperate. Gearbox issues apparently delayed things. So Engine and gearbox are now mated and Paul hope to have the engine in tonight or tomorrow morning. This is cutting it so fine, do I win the Spa chicken game? Bits from Rennline stuck somewhere in Parcelforce system. Annoying as they arrived in the UK on 3/3/13. That's my strut brace and tow hook.

As the engine has had a full rebuild I've got to run it in for 500 miles or so and then do an oil change. I think if the car is ready I'll have to do this at SPA. I'll give 9E a shout to see if they can help. This is so frustrating as I have book the Eurotunnel paid for the track, insurances etc etc and to be so close is just maddening. I am really scared of stressing the new very expensive engine so soon after putting it together. Even after 500 miles or so, which I'm confident I can do with the trip over etc, and an oil/filter change what do you guys think about stressing the engine on the track ? rev limits etc? One way or another I think I'll be there but not being able to drive her would frustrate massively.

Don't know what to do. Help.
Don't worry that is the main thing. You need to run it in properly, you can still enjoy the car on track.

We can do the oil and filter change at Spa and you can bring her in after each little session so we can check for leaks etc.

New engines always have little issues with things needing tightening up etc.

You will be fine.

Ken
Old 03-18-2013 | 08:29 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Ken, thanks so much for that. Greatly appreciated. Love this community. I'll give you a call later. There will be beer on me.
Old 03-18-2013 | 08:56 AM
996ttalot
Intermediate

Ken, thanks so much for that. Greatly appreciated. Love this community. I'll give you a call later. There will be beer on me.
Make sure you find out what oil they are putting in it as well please. Check with them what oil they want in it as well if we are to change it, since I presume they are providing a warranty on the engine.

We will be bring 3 different grades of oil so we should have you covered, but best to check.

Ken
Old 03-18-2013 | 08:58 AM
996ttalot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Yikes Mike!

It's Paul's build so he needs to dictate the run in process really, but afaik the bearings bed in very quickly (15-20mins) and piston rings should be bedded in after 500 miles.

Mine's having exhaust studs drilled out as I type, hoping to be all together and ready for tomorrow night.
Just one left to do
Old 03-18-2013 | 09:29 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

I know exactly how you feel

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Mike, your engine will hold up fine. I went straight on track after running mine in and having an oil change and having a valve check/adjust. New GT3s go straight on track. If you're concerned just shift up at 5K which will be no bad thing. We go there to enjoy the place, not to break any records.

Regarding the oil change I'm sure 9E will happy to do that for you at the track. I would contact them to let them know you need it doing so that you can decide whether you or they supply the oil and filter. If they can't do a valve adjust aswell, just keep the revs down on track as mentioned above.
Cheers for that

Originally Posted by alexjc4
+1 that's what I plan to do - not sure if that will stick once I get the red mist though
Hang a sec why do you need to stick below 5K?????????? I thought you were just respraying!

Originally Posted by 996ttalot
Don't worry that is the main thing. You need to run it in properly, you can still enjoy the car on track.

We can do the oil and filter change at Spa and you can bring her in after each little session so we can check for leaks etc.

New engines always have little issues with things needing tightening up etc.

You will be fine.

Ken
Hi Ken,
I'm in a similar boat. The engine's had about 8hrs on it, about 3hr on dyno with RedTek & Bob Watson.
It's having an oil change, valves checked, re-torque etc today. Although I'm feeling I'll keep a cool head on track.

Is it worth having another oil change/ check once at SPA?
Old 03-18-2013 | 10:08 AM
996ttalot
Intermediate

Just one left to do
All removed Alex

Now to finish her.
Old 03-18-2013 | 10:11 AM
996ttalot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
I know exactly how you feel

Cheers for that

Hang a sec why do you need to stick below 5K?????????? I thought you were just respraying!

Hi Ken,
I'm in a similar boat. The engine's had about 8hrs on it, about 3hr on dyno with RedTek & Bob Watson.
It's having an oil change, valves checked, re-torque etc today. Although I'm feeling I'll keep a cool head on track.

Is it worth having another oil change/ check once at SPA?
Your engine should be fine already - we can check oil etc and replace if required. Again just check with whoever built it what grade they have in it, what they would like it replaced with, or topped up with.

Ken
Old 03-18-2013 | 10:19 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
lol nothing exciting, I'm just trying to be sensible, if I aim for 5k I'll probably shift by 5.5k and the power drops off after 5750rpm anyway

All removed Alex

Now to finish her.
Nice one Ken, that's a relief to have that out of the way.

Quick Reply: London 964 Spa Francorchamps Weekend 2013 - The Sequel