Project - BBS LMs

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Project - BBS LMs

Hi folks,

Thought it was about time I got a few photos up of my wheel project, which has now been on-going for 5 months!

Currently on the car I have RH Turbo P (3 piece) split rims. They were always my first choice of wheel for a 964, but after two and a bit years on the car I started to fancy a change.

I fancied BBS LMs (2 piece) split rims, however the modern LMs are only available in a 8.5” front, rather than the 8” that I would have preferred. Repeated searching only turned up 993 fitment LMs with a Porsche PCD. The best I found after months was 8.5s up front and 11s out the back.

Searching eBay however finally turned up a bargain (read as VERY cheap) set of LMs, there were a couple of draw-backs tho. There were only 3 of them and they were 5x114.3 Jap fitment! They were a bargain tho, so against my better judgment I bought them!

Once delivered I soon realised that one wheel was dinted and required professional repair, this was soon sorted. The condition of the centres wasn’t as good as the seller had stated, but they were all getting a full refurb anyway. I managed to get some cash back for the poor description.

The other problem was BBS don’t manufacture this size of LM any more. Nothing Jap fitment in an 8” wide could be found to replace the missing one. I tried BBS Europe, US and Japan, my contacts from the days of RX7 ownership, and eBay and Yahoo auctions for months. Nothing could be found!

Then came the idea to look for an original 8x18 in the Porsche PCD and you lads at Rennlist came up trumps and spotted one at Tire Rack. With the help of Indy Cam ( ) it was shipped over the Pond!

With 4 wheels to play with I needed to sort a PCD conversion for the wheels. Sorry to the purists out there! Hubcentric spacers wouldn’t work as the ET50 of the new wheels wouldn’t allow for an additional 17-20mm of offset. Local lads form the VW Scene recommended a motorsport / machine shop who took on the work. They plugged, welded and then re-drilled each wheel centre, matching the newly bought 5x130 as they went!

While the centres were away a friend of mine who runs a polishing company in his spare time (!) took on the job of polishing the lips.

With the centres now PCD changed and painted and the barrels now fully mirror polished Ive bolted them back together. Tyres are going on today / tomorrow and then hopefully they will be fitted for a show that im attending on the weekend!

OK, here’s some photos of the build process:

Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! that is one intense pursuit of some LMs, fair play. It's definitely going to look the part.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful work

I never even considered you could change the PCD of a wheel!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

The wheels actually look much better in real life, my limited photography skills are finding it hard to show the polished surfaces!!!

Chris
Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

wow ... plugged, welded and redrilled the holes? cool.

how much?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

To have the centres media blasted free of paint, plugged, welded, re-drilled and the BBS spiggots removed form the rear to enlarge the centre bore = £300 GBP.

Not bad I thought

Chris
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 38 Posts

Those are going to look amazing on the GR
Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Thanks bud, but not as amazing as your hard work!

Props for getting those wheels to fit when so many said it couldnt be done!

CD
Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deutschland-dobson
£300 GBP.
Not bad I thought
seems reasonable and a fun project!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Looking good Chris! Having looked at yours am keeping my set of BBS 18" LMs, was thinking of selling them cos am not sure if am using them on Amazon.

Do you like the centercaps?

Quite similar to the E28s.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Love the centre caps

Jap spec Red.

They were out of production, but ive found a source or two, which may mean theyre back in town! Pricey at £150 GBP delivered from the land of the rising sun tho!

Rim sticker looks better on the E28 tho

Ive thought of another wheel if you can find it? Check out the Orange Rabbit in this months PVW. The ex-motorsport Porsche 964 BBS E30s would look cracking on Amazon!

Whats the spec / size on your LMs?

Chris
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Love the centre caps

Jap spec Red.

They were out of production, but ive found a source or two, which may mean theyre back in town! Pricey at £150 GBP delivered from the land of the rising sun tho!

Rim sticker looks better on the E28 tho

Ive thought of another wheel if you can find it? Check out the Orange Rabbit in this months PVW. The ex-motorsport Porsche 964 BBS E30s would look cracking on Amazon!

Whats the spec / size on your LMs?

Chris
My ex Burgundy Rallye that was in the VW scene with the BBS E50s on were mine, I shouldn't have sold them. They were 5x130, gutted!

The LeMans are 5x130 off Dazza (Gwerks) car with reverse lips on rear. Not sure on the offsets, not check since he took them off.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Thought you still had the Rallye tucked away some where, looked lovely.

Remember the LMs now that you mention G Werks, these were the set that got me looking for LMs in the first place!

Chris
Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Thought you still had the Rallye tucked away some where, looked lovely.

Remember the LMs now that you mention G Werks, these were the set that got me looking for LMs in the first place!

Chris
No more Dubs now, sold my mk1 78 rocco and R32 Rallye that was in white, should appear soon in the scene.

The LMs are a great quality wheel, always loved them from when I had them on my TT.

Good choice in wheel Chris!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

u mean these.......story of my life! sold

E50s

Seen these in 2009 in Worthersee on a 930 turbo.

Quick Reply: Project - BBS LMs