Sponsored by:

Suspension Finished !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:01 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Finished !!

Well finally got the car back on its wheels after refurbing most of the components of the front and rear suspension as usual this started off with the notion of fitting lowering springs and ended up with the list below.

I did have another thread running trying to document as I went unfortunately I managed to delete the pictures

Bilstein HD
design tek springs
Front Bushes all replaced with powerflex
Control arms + crossmember soda blasted
ARB stripped powder coated
Arb fitted with powerflex bushes
Calipers refurbed/painted + new seals

Rear bushes replaced with powerflex
New drop links
Top mounts changed for better used ones
ARB powder coated fitted with superpro (half price compared to powerflex order the VW Beetle ones 21mm)
Upgraded to 4 pot calipers/new pads
new handbrake shoes
New handbrake cable (£65 !!!!)
New wheel Bearings
Paint wheel arches
replace some of the bumper stays

So as you see as many have found before me it turn into a bit of a project so still have to get the GEO done and ride height tweeked then we should be good to go

The only issue I have is my ABS warning light has come on so probaly a wheel sensor as this is the only thing that has been touched ? I assume upgrading to 4 pot calipers does not cause an issue with the ABS any guidance appreciated gents
Attached Images   
Old 04-07-2012, 09:37 AM
BIG'UN
Instructor

Looks great Gaz, lots of work for you but the difference in ride over your old set-up will be worth it when the Geo is done.Just had some of this work done myself, Bilstein/Eibach/Powerflex, and the ride is like night and day. Well done and enjoy!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Beautiful! You did this the right way. What is your final ride height going to be?

Did you keep the stock sway bars?

Last edited by 993James993; 04-07-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 AM
9six4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you updated to 4 piston rear calipers, did you replace the pressure regulator? (45 to 55)
I had no problem with the ABS after the caliper update.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Yippe!! Well done Gaz now you can go round the twisty bits even faster!!

Gaz I downloaded a app for the camber on my iPhone just to set it up before I got my geo done and it was almost spot on when I got it on the alighnment ramp....worth a punt if you need to drive it a bit before you get the geo done...
Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Talking

Cheers for all you comments guys its been an enjoyable productive winter, to answer some of your queries

ABS warning light, I haven`t changed the regulator yet but intend to ASAP both the sensors were seized solid and took a bit of work to get out so may well have damaged one or maybe just a poor connection I coated the outside with optimoly when I put them back in ,do they need to earth on the case ?

I am open to suggestions on ride height gents in the picture below the heights are as follows (I know you dont measure the arches but for a quick reference)

Passenger rear is sitting at 25" which I think looks about right
Passenger front is 25 three quarter which needs to come down a touch I would say but not convinced I have any adjustment left.

Drivers rear is sitting at 24 & Quarter which looks to low to me
drivers front 26" needs down a bit.

9six4 I like the ride height on yours what heights are you set at ?
would be interested Big Un/Fuch what yours are sitting at and any geo settings you suggest, its a fast road setting rather than track focused I`m after.

As a small aside one of the things I discovered while doing the refurb was Bilt Hamber Deox C which is a powder/water solution to remove rust it was brilliant for cleaning up the bolts quick tickle on the wire wheel and they were good as new.

Gave it a wash
Attached Images  

Last edited by GazC2; 04-07-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM
VR6-er
Racer

Hi Gaz,

Looks really cool, what size are your rear wheels? Have you got spacers?
Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Here you go Gaz ...

Front 25" 1 deg negative
Rear 25" 1.25 deg negative( most I could get)

These are give or take a few mm with a 25 litre oil drum on the seat!!

Rear & front almost down to last threads on struts on spring perch

Forgot caster but I did have to adjust it a bit after and originally had 1.5 deg neg but it felt better at 1 deg neg over 100 mph on & more stable so went for 1 deg on front and felt better....

I'm no expert but I've done about 5/6 geo's on my mates ramp and the 64 was the most adjustable car I have ever worked on & found it very sensitive to adjustment on the rest of the corners when you fiddle with it (swb) chassis ? and it took me about 4 hrs to get my happy medium and I think it still needs a expert to get the best out of it with a corner balance and a bit of black magic geo work!!

Defo tested my brain power...
Old 04-07-2012, 02:03 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

That`s the ride height look I`m after so will need to see if I can get the front down to 25".

I am going to get a geo done next week then will take it back once I get some miles on it and everything settles down

VR6, I have porsche 7" on the front and MM 9" on the back with no spacers I will take some pics tomorow for you but fill the arches pretty well I think the ET for both is 55
Old 04-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As wer're talking about geo specs, it seems as though it normal to leave the back of the car a bit higher than the rear - is that the standar RS spec alignment? If you look at mine, it's lower at the front than the rear. The boot was full (as was the roof box), but you can see what I mean.

I've seen some cars that have lower rear stance - does this have a better or worse affect on handling? I've heard that being too low at the rear can make the car more tail happy?
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2012, 03:35 PM
VR6-er
Racer

Originally Posted by GazC2
.......I have porsche 7" on the front and MM 9" on the back with no spacers I will take some pics tomorow for you but fill the arches pretty well I think the ET for both is 55
Those MM 17's make the rear look really good. Its likely the rears are et47,
Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

So how does the car drive? Is it transformed?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:00 AM
BIG'UN
Instructor

Gaz, 25" rear, 25"1/4 front. Thats as low as we could get in the front (C4) and is enough for me as a daily drive.Camber is around 0.50' f/r. May try to get a little more there but it drives great at the moment.Castor is around 4.00' and is straight and true. I wouldn't get too hung up on figures though, adjust it till it feels right for you as suspension is very subjective.Let us know how you get on. Got your PM, glad you were able to sort it.

Andy.

Last edited by BIG'UN; 07-09-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:26 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Cheers for that Andy I agree with you its down to what feels right for yourself b ut I now have an idea on rough heights yours and fuchs look spot on, and I need to get the front down a bit although I think I barely have a couple of turns left on the spring need to get some miles on it to let it all settle in.

Vandit dont know yet ! car not road legal needs the dreaded tax put on it after being off road all winter but will get it sorted next week.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG'UN
Gaz, 25" rear, 25"1/4 front. Thats as low as we could get in the front (C4) and is enough for me as a daily drive.Camber is around 0.50' f/r. May try to get a little more there but it drives great at the moment.Castor is around 4.00' and is straight and true. I wouldn't get too hung up on figures though, adjust it till it feels right for you as suspension is very subjective.Let us know how you get on. Got your PM, glad you were able to sort it.

Andy.

Same as.... I think once you have found that happy medium drive & enjoy it

Quick Reply: Suspension Finished !!