Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What upcoming projects are planned for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default What upcoming projects are planned for your car?

What plans do you have for your car?

I want to sort out a few issues in the very near future:

1) Bilstein HD's and H&R turbo springs, lowing car to near euro RS ride height. I purchased the parts from Mark and Darin at FD Motorsports (Thanks guys!) and will have my longtime mechanic install this next week. I'll take before and after photos and post them up.

2) Inspect brake lines, oil lines, 90K service items that have not been done yet. This to happen while car is in the shop.

3) Goldenrod shift rod from FD Motorsports. I plan to install this myself.

4) Replace CCU panel switches ala Laker's DIY. (Thanks Laker!)

5) Replace hood shocks.

6) Figure out some type of radio to listen to on my daily commute. Right now I am leaning toward a small portable unit by Sangean. I will not be installing a stereo and speakers.

7) Repair or replace driver's power window switch.

Last edited by 993James993; 03-23-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I just finished a big big one this week after 3 months of slowly getting things done and what not. I'll create a thread about it sometime soon.

Next project is either:
-Fix rust spot under windshield, need to get ready for the financial hit of windshield replacement if it breaks during removal/reinstallation
-Total suspension makeover. I already have a Rennline strut bar and ERP 935-style spring plates on queue. Now I need to get my hands on some Rennline monoballs or equivalent, Powerflex bushing kit, KW coilovers, and H&R sways. I'll be accumulating all those parts as the budget allows and as good deals come up.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

-Install HIDs
-Install tail light film
Drive the **** out of it and spend the remaining time in the garage while the wife and kids are visiting the in-laws
Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- fit new O2 sensor
- fit braided brake lines
- modifiy & fit 100cell cat
- replace plugs, fit beru wire kit to existing plug ends
- make a plate to fill the hole left in the door (I removed the front speakers)

...and I think that's all...might have forgotten something

On the "maybe" list are:
- RS engine mounts
- upgrade rear shelf speakers
Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also just finished a big project which included new Bilsteins HDs H&R purples, SS brake lines.

Got a scan tool so clear up all the fault codes, fixed my clock - which turned off the airbag light and seat belt light, replaced the rear blower motor, fixed the CCU fan, and replaced fresh air servo motor.

That took care of all my fault codes

... full brake fluid flush, replace fuel sending unit gasket (still probably need to pull the tank and replace the screen seal), and having some small collision damage fixed, rear cover replaced, both rear absorbers, while I was there replaced all the heat shield, new ex hardware, new cover and related hardware, replaced a missing cat shield, cleaned and painted lug nuts, replaced the locking nuts with standard nuts, and while I was getting the rear cover painted I had them fix the hyper extended door from PO, they are just doing the paint, I took it apart and will put it back together.

What eles? replaced engine decals, air filter and a couple of rack boots.

I got an new engine pad but couldn't do it with the engine in the car so that's going to wait for now.

Hopefully I will get my parts back from paint next week and get it back together and to the alignment shop for a four corner balance and alignment.

It's been apart since Dec 28th and I ready to drive it.

Then on deck will be brakes, I want to upgrade the pads and refinish the calipers, tires, and getting the rims refinished.

I go back and forth on a bypass pipe.

Far future projects, new carpets, redo the front seats, which are not bad but getting a bit worn on the bolster, new head liner.

and i got a cracked fog light on the passenger side that I really keep meaning to take care of.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:28 AM
B. Elliott
Instructor

Recently finished fitting new ignition caps, rotors and sparkplugs.

Next on the agenda is adjusting the preload on the front bilsteins, filming the rear reflector and lights, and finally purchasing the ducktail.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^
Good projects...I jealous of all the suspension talk above! (James, RS height with D90s looks awesome!)

I'll set my sights a little lower for now and tackle some smaller projects:
- fix driver's side seat height adjustment cable. Cable keeps separating from the worn gear motor.
- tighten & reglue small portion of headliner that has developed a small sag.
- address a couple small trim issues.

AND a fun project...time to wash/clay/polish/and wax!
Got to get it ready for soccer season...the 64 will surrounded by minivans 3x week at the kid's soccer practice/games.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Next up on my car is suspension. The stock stuff had a good run, but it's done.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Just finished full top end rebuild afte rfinding out I had perfect compression less the heads, which were in need of attention - many thanks to Steve Weiner who did a fantastic job. New racinbg springs and titanium retainers, 993 intake valves, new guildes - basically brand new and much improved heads. Then new fuel lines, rebuilt and flowed/testes injectors, cleaned everything, MAF, idle control valve, new tins powdercoated, replaced all kinds of little things that needed attention while in there - so inside the engine compartment became new, essentially. Then did the flywheel and clutch all new while the engine was out, looked for any rust or issues to take care of - none were present, and all back together.

Susepension was done last summer.

And now - I'm in the interior. see here - http://tinyurl.com/7kf6sdh

the seats front and rear are at the upholsterer now. I had a problem with my original door cards being warped, so I bought "door card blanks" from sierra madre, only they are for the 930, and need veru slight tweeking to make work, though they will work fine. I am not happy with the quality of the card, fwiw, it's very low quality cardboard, and for the 96 dollars (with shipping) i would have expected something a little less likely to have issues with moisture. When these get wet, they will be gonners.

And then, once the upholstery is done, I bought a 993 Weighted shifter, which should be a huge improvement, if only because the **** is bigger and will fit my hand better, and while in there, I need to change the bushings in the shift linkage to try and get rid of a little of the nochyness...which isn't bad yet, but just a little annoying.

And then, it's on to the steering rack and tightening things up a little...

And then....start over again? lol...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
AND a fun project...time to wash/clay/polish/and wax!
Got to get it ready for soccer season...the 64 will surrounded by minivans 3x week at the kid's soccer practice/games.
so therapeutic... You'll be the envy of every kid (and dad)
Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 PM
cobias1
Racer

Finish putting the engine back together..lol
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The short list before Hershey

-Oil change
-Either black Aero Mirrors or Sebring mirrors ( if I can figure out something I'm happy with)
-Clear corners/RS brake ducts
-Shift sleeve bushings
-Front rotors

This year:
-lightweight flywheel/clutch
-RS door panels/lightweight carpet
-Recaro Pole Positions
-KW coilovers
-M&K exhaust ( race version )
Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 PM
hans57
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993James993
What plans do you have for your car?

I want to sort out a few issues in the very near future:

1) Bilstein HD's and H&R turbo springs, lowing car to near euro RS ride height. I purchased the parts from Mark and Darin at FD Motorsports (Thanks guys!) and will have my longtime mechanic install this next week. I'll take before and after photos and post them up.

2) Inspect brake lines, oil lines, 90K service items that have not been done yet. This to happen while car is in the shop.

3) Goldenrod shift rod from FD Motorsports. I plan to install this myself.

4) Replace CCU panel switches ala Laker's DIY. (Thanks Laker!)

5) Replace hood shocks.

6) Figure out some type of radio to listen to on my daily commute. Right now I am leaning toward a small portable unit by Sangean. I will not be installing a stereo and speakers.
In another couple of thousand miles the 60K valve adjustment along with at least a partial reseal to tame the oil seeps. Maybe some clutch work if my wife lets me spend the money.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

flashing third tail light mod. It will flash 6 times before going solid.
new CCU fan
Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 PM
9six4
Racer

Finally found time after a major home reno to spend a little time with my car.
I rebuilt and installed 4 pot rear calipers, a new proportioning valve and had the rotors turned. Installed 52mm rear studs and 5mm spacers.

Still need to:
install new brake pads
flush out brake fluid
flush out ps fluid
gear box oil change
engine oil change
valve adjustment
spark plugs
transmission mounts

Then it's time to drive. Next winter I've planning on doing the clutch, suspension bushings, oil lines etc. etc.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What upcoming projects are planned for your car?