Sponsored by:

spoiler control - switch activated only*

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:09 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default spoiler control - switch activated only*

For those of you who prefer the clean look of the 964's silhouette and occasionally find it annoying that the engine cover spoiler is constantly going up and down in traffic, there is a very simple modification that will give you complete control via the spoiler dial on the center console. (*via a default in the system, the spoiler automatically deploys at ~75 mph)

This very simple idea came from garrett376 (and is from an old post). Instead of the spoiler automatically raising at ~50 mph and retracting at ~7 mph, simply remove the contact from two wires in the spoiler module and you are set. (the module location is different depending on model year).

I did this mod about two years ago and thought I would share it with the group since it has performed flawlessly in that time and since there are so many new members on this forum (since the original post in 2005).

Most people probably haven't thought about this mod at all and will think it's worthless, but in my experience it's been great. Cooling hasn't been affected at all, nor has the stability of the car (remember it automatically raises at 75). If you routinely drive in traffic and your spoiler needlessly raises and lowers as a consequence, this fixes that.

I did encounter one problem though, if the spoiler deploys, you have to remember to manually lower it. At first I got out of my car a couple times and realized I had forgotten to lower it. I also made sure to tell my mechanic so I didn't think there was a problem with the module during his test drives...

Two wires disconnected + some electrical tape = 911 silhouette at less than 75 mph! Thanks garrett376!

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ferrerid=19642
Old 03-31-2010, 10:09 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the big deal? You can't see it and you hardly hear it?

"I see dead people"
Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I followed Garrett's post and installed a switch on my dash so I can have auto or manual control.

Auto is for street driving but for track days I put it up and leave it there to save spoiler motor wear and maximize cooling - esp. in the pits.

Marc
Old 04-02-2010, 05:27 PM
rarebear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this spoiler up and down motion, the look of other drivers in their tired clunkers gives me big fun
every time !!! and surely those Porsche engineers had a reason to raising the spoiler at 55 miles...
Old 04-02-2010, 05:58 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep trying to figure out a decent message/graphic to put on the spoiler wall... like "bye bye" or something.. as it cracks me up when people see it go up and down. Maybe an Oscar the Grouch, hiding back in his trashcan as I slow down.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

I used to drive to work trying to stay under 40 (is it 40? - been years since I had a 964 with the auto function enabled!) so the tail wouldn't go up... because I'd hit a red light 2 seconds later and then it would go down! And this would repeat for the next 20 lights! I like this mod... it was fun to figure out, too. My friend did what you did, Marc, with a switch to "resume" auto mode for when he's not at the track. Good idea!

996's have a different challenge - up at 75 and down at 35 or so... fun to try to keep up in freeway traffic!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
What is the big deal? You can't see it and you hardly hear it?
You must have good spoiler bearings... just wait till the bearings go out on the spoiler and it gets very crunchy.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 AM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always remember the rumour that the engineers originally set the spoiler to rise at 75mph for cooling and stability reasons, but Porsche (in the UK at least) soon realised the self incriminating consequences for drivers when the maximum national limit is 70 mph.... hence the reduction to 50mph! Sounds plausible anyway.

I also like the spoiler up down automatically, infact, when I bought the car 15 years ago, I'm slightly embarassed to say it's one of the reasons I didn't get a 3.2!!!! I have matured since... honest.

Quick Reply: spoiler control - switch activated only*