Sponsored by:

Bonehead move #438

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bonehead move #438

I just finished up some maintenance on the 90 C4 (yes, it was on jacks since Jan 1) - valve adjustment, new plugs, oil and filter, cleaning this n that, new rotors and pads all around,...
I fired it up last night and took a quick blast past SneakyPete's house. Ran OK, but a little "doggy". I didn't drive it to work today, didn't want to get it dirty, and planned to do a few checks on it tonight.
I thought I would check distributor 1 vs. distributor 2 - unplugging each ignition module to see how it ran. On the "lower" it ran fine. On the "upper" it ran rough and was popping fire out the exhaust. So, I thought I had a bad plug wire, or ... . I swapped coil wires, and proved that the coil was not the issue - it was still on the "upper" distributor regardless of coil. Tried unplugging one plug wire at a time, etc. Still rough and popping out the exhaust. While checking to ensure the plug connectors were seated properly, I noticed that the wire going to the middle cylinder (#5) on the right side was labeled "I-4". Huh? that ain't right. I wouldn't do something so bonehead as that. Looked at the other plug wire "I-5" and it was on cylinder #4. Dang it, I don't do bonehead things like that. Checked the wire positions on the dist cap, and were in the right firing order.
So, I had done the bonehead move of mixing up #4 and #5 plug wires on the top set. It is interesting that these cars can still run somewhat well, even with a mistake like this, with the dual distributor system in place.
I am anxious to take it for a drive tomorrow. Should be a fun drive.
So what is Bonehead Move #439 going to be?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Yea, we all have our moments. Luckily you sorted it out.

I fukk'd up pretty bad this evening and I'm still pretty upset about it. Removing my alternator from the housing, I managed to shatter the rear plastic impeller and put a chip in the pretty new powder coating on the cooling fan... I am so disappointed in myself right now.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you said, we've all been there.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:17 AM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vandit rear impeller not very expensive from OPC I had to replace mine when it got cracked easily done 20 year old part . be careful around that cooling fan magnesium is very brittle and can snap if wrong forces applied
Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

I've done worse!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Don't feel bad. You made a simple mistake and corrected it. I've done similar things and far worse.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CBR786
Vandit rear impeller not very expensive from OPC I had to replace mine when it got cracked easily done 20 year old part . be careful around that cooling fan magnesium is very brittle and can snap if wrong forces applied
Thanks man. New impeller on the way from Pelican. I think the fan will be alright (fingers crossed).

I swear, being a DIY Porsche mechanic is taking years off my life. My stomach has been acting up since Sunday and the only cause I can find is Porsche-wrench-turning-related stress.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default DIY?

I thought we did this stuff to earn the grey hairs and distinguished looks all pig drivers have!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Thanks man. New impeller on the way from Pelican. I think the fan will be alright (fingers crossed).

I swear, being a DIY Porsche mechanic is taking years off my life. My stomach has been acting up since Sunday and the only cause I can find is Porsche-wrench-turning-related stress.
That is funny. I always find wrenching on a P-car relaxing. It's all the other stuff I have to fix, especially on my wifes BMW, that give me pains.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

It's the minutiae and 2nd guessing that kills me. I had the car up and running this weekend, and most would have been happy w/ that, but not me. "Oh, look, a bit of coating it leaving marks on the fan housing... *debate myself extensively*" then I start taking it all apart again, possibly messing it up and definitely incurring more costs in the process. The wife is telling me "You stare at the same part going round and round for a half hour, of course you're going to find a fault in it!"
Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Don't feel bad. You made a simple mistake and corrected it. I've done similar things and far worse.
Me too. Seized an engine because I did not believe the oil pressure gauge I had just installed.

Quick Reply: Bonehead move #438