Sponsored by:

A Newbie (albeit an excited one)........ Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM
cumd20
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking A Newbie (albeit an excited one)........ Question

OK guys - I am new - so get the laughs out of the way when I ask stoopid questions - but let me know it is stoopid also

I have just bought the ugly duckling - 1994 964 Speedster with the Strosek Wide Body that was snapped at a dealer in Dallas and posted here on this site elsewhere - yes the black one with the inflated ego for a previous owner that spent twice the price of the (already great) car on modification parts. The one that a lot of folks think was ugly and should have been left well alone

But you see - to me it is a swan, I just absolutely love the shape of this thing - don't get me wrong, I also love the narrow body original shipped 94 Speedster and you will never hear me criticize that car - but this is another level of beauty to me.

Anyway - I am new to the site but am a pretty savvy motorhead and have built cars in my past - so no need to be too gentle.

Here is my question - in future I will be more succinct - there is a lot of writing on here speculating on numbers of production etc of the speedster - consensus on this site and every other I can find - is that 430 factory machines or so made it to the USA. Can anyone tell me if we have concluded the final VIN range on the USA machines. Mine has the RS465403 ending so I would assume it is close to the end of the USA production line of VIN's but then there are conflicting views on where the count starts from (60 for testing or not).

I have read a number of sites for hours in the last few days (while I wait for my new toy to arrive 2500 miles on a truck) - but with no success,

I appreciate your help - btw other cars are a 1999 Range Rover HSE, 2006 Cayenne, 2007 MB CL550.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Congratulations and welcome! Did a quick search for a speedster registry. Found this link.

http://www.porscheclubgb.com/Speedster/gallery.aspx

I hope it helps.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 PM
cumd20
Advanced

Thanks - that seems to be just a UK registry and even then seems to have no data on Speedsters at all.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome!

There are several that may be able to assist with your VIN question. Wonderful community of experts here.

The enthusiast who deservedly wears an official title is Rennlister Blake. Do a search, and you'll see he's the no-kidding Porsche Club of America's 911 Speedster Registry Advocate.

Even better: he has a black 964 Speedster of his own!
Originally Posted by blake

I run the 911 Speedster Registry for PCA.
-Blake
Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In regards to contacting Blake via Private Message or e-mail: If your RL account has restrictions on it until you make more posts AND you have access to PCA Panorama magazines ... look up his contact information that's probably listed on the back page.

Or, let us know, and we can either get the information for you, or tell you to add to your post count by sharing pics of your new 911!

In the meantime, here's the link to the eBay auction:
"ONE OF A KIND 1994 STROSEK SPEEDSTER" FS by eBayer dallas75209. Item #230745854614.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curve lover

add to your post count by sharing pics of your new 911!
Til then ^^ thanks to Vandit on John Rygg's "Strosek speedster" thread for holding us over
Originally Posted by Vandit
My pics from when it was at the local Porsche dealership.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:04 AM
cumd20
Advanced

Thumbs up

Thanks for the links - I will post pictures as soon as it arrives (and it has had some carressing of course)

I intend to replace some of the original interior parts back to the Factory spec eventually so I will be busy on here.

Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:14 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cumd20
Thanks for the links - I will post pictures as soon as it arrives (and it has had some carressing of course)

I intend to replace some of the original interior parts back to the Factory spec eventually so I will be busy on here.

Thanks again.
My pleasure!
More mods & changes ... this will be the thread that will keep on giving
Originally Posted by curve lover

"ONE OF A KIND 1994 STROSEK SPEEDSTER" FS by eBayer dallas75209. Item #230745854614.
Pix ^^

Old 03-11-2012, 03:03 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A little OT unless it happens to be the same supercharged Speedster:

Downloaded these pics when it was for sale with calipers that weren't red, a gold hood badge, and one (just 1 ) photo with an "ET" 3rd brake light
...maybe later updated as seen above?

If a VIN report for WP0CB2965RS465403 doesn't show a UT owner, then probably not.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 AM
cumd20
Advanced

Thanks for these pics - I am 90% certain this is the same car but will confirm later.

Well - since my last post I have been on vacation in HI and overseas business so just got back in the saddle yesterday.

The great news is that the "ugly duckling" [UD] arrived last night on the "enclosed top loaded trailer". That is whole saga on car transportation pirates and a story for another thread - Somalia has no game compared to some of these guys !!!

Anyways - back on the delightful news - I was as nervous as hell about this - and so far my wildest expectations have been exceeded. I got to drive the UD for a short while last night - I am still high

Also a lot - I mean a lot - of receipts and documentation - so the history of the car is a lot more complete than I thought it would be. The receipts for fitting of the big reds and the actual gold badge that was replaced are with the car also.

I am really glad to say the previous owners not only did a good job with documentation - including the Strosek Factory documentation, original Porsche Factory documentation and original import docs from Fred Opert Racing - they also kept most of the stock parts they upgraded from so where I choose to get back to stock I have most of the items.

I will also get the rest of that ugly faux carbon dash crap out of there - I say rest as last night I took the airbag dash plates off last night and will work on the instrument cluster this weekend. There are some really cool Carbon Dashes - this is not one of them.

I have not decided if I like the 993 center console yet so will live with that for a while as it fits in the car remarkably well and with it the overall look of the car is good.

I have to say - those seats are a wee bit snug - for this 46 year old - maybe when I was 30 they were a good fit. But once I am in I forget about the cheek clamping from the seats cos I need it from the experience of the car

I am also 6.1" so I see a 22.5mm seat extension project in my near future.

All in all - I am Psyched - this weekend if I can wipe the drool from my Camera Lens long enough I will take some pics and start a new post.

I feel like a bloody kid again - don't tell the missus this but the last time I was this excited I think a ZX Spectrum was the topic of desire
Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Welcome! I love the passion I'm reading.
Stop calling the car UD...I love the styling! I especially love the rear fenders and bumper.
Clean it up and take some pictures!

Plus, big bonus on the supercharger!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:40 AM
cumd20
Advanced

Thanks 911Jetta - I really love the Styling too - as I said in my earlier post - and though I genuinely mean thanks for the empathy - but I kinda like the UD thing - after all was said and done it was a Swan Right
Old 03-17-2012, 06:27 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the Speedster!! I know those seats are worse for comfort.....since I'm ever the good samaritan I'd be happy to swap them for a pair of 964 reclining seats;-)

As far as styling goes, it is indeed a bit of an acquired taste. I personally feel the current wheels make the entire styling exercise seem a bit dated. A swap over to 18" cup style Veloce wheels (possibly black color coded centers) would make for a more balanced / timeless / factory feel.

The 'crazy' offset of the rear wheels add to the 'tuner' look....I'd definately opt for larger offset rear wheels (bringing the centers out to the side of the arches) and run spacers to compensate for track width.

Lastly, I feel a mere 10mm drop in ride height would loose just the right amount of daylight from under the arches.....just have a look how much adjustment is left in your spring perches.

All personal opinion though....

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by evoderby; 03-17-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

IS it for sale?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:05 PM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

IS it for sale?

Quick Reply: A Newbie (albeit an excited one)........ Question