Sponsored by:

Can't shift into 1st or reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can't shift into 1st or reverse

I can't shift into gear from a standing still position (with the car running) unless I put my foot hard, i mean hard to the floor. The clutch has no resistance until at least halfway. I had a new clutch(all 996 GT2 components) installed 70,000 miles ago. I have 212,000 miles on the car and from the records it looks like the role pin was replaced at 32,000 miles and the master cylinder replaced at 107,500. The slave has never been replaced. The Hydraulic fluid level is fine. Anyone have any ideas?
Thank You
Peter
Old 02-05-2012, 11:58 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you work on your own car? It sounds like you should bleed the clutch system... but first check that your hydraulic reservoir hasn't lost fluid. As a safety measure, the clutch hydraulic pickup is higher than the braking system, so if something is leaking your clutch will display your exact symptoms.

If the fluid level is normal, then you should bleed the clutch circuit. Search here for how-tos or I can walk you through it.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Kinda pulling you in a different direction, but how are your motor mounts? Any sagging?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 AM
psiegel
Racer

Tom, I don't work on my car except for very minor stuff. I have never bleed the Hydraulics, not sure of i need some special equipment to do so, i would guess i would. But it sounds like a good place to start. The
Hydraulic fluid level is normal.
Vandit - I am not sure that i could tell but the engine seems visually to be at its normal position.

Thank you
Old 02-06-2012, 12:31 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In theory I believe you can bleed the clutch with wrench and a length of tubing. Pressure bleeders are nice but if you are just doing this then it might be overkill. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I've always used a Motive).

The tail pipe might appear to have a larger gap than normal if your mounts fail unless it's been adjusted.

I think I'd start with a clutch bleed and go from there.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

+1, if your fluid level is normal, then you probably need to move on to a clutch system bleed. It is possible that your slave has failed... It's not a difficult repair, but if you don't do your own work, it means you need to get under the car and reach up on top of the transmission to access a couple of bolts. If you're into trying, and if you have basic tools, it can be done. (Ramps, jackstands, and a 13MM wrench...) Let me know if you want detailed instructions and we can coach you through it. Think of the money you'll save! :-)

Otherwise your mechanic can get after it without too much trouble.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:07 AM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PNine64
In theory I believe you can bleed the clutch with wrench and a length of tubing. Pressure bleeders are nice but if you are just doing this then it might be overkill. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I've always used a Motive).

The tail pipe might appear to have a larger gap than normal if your mounts fail unless it's been adjusted.

I think I'd start with a clutch bleed and go from there.
Get yourself a Motive Bleeder, catch canister and a 7mm. The bleed is quite easy with the proper equipment. You pressurize the system, attach the canister to the slave, loosen the nipple and let her rip. If this solves the problem, you are only about $60 in the hole (a Porsche mechanic will charge you that just for showing up at his shop). Besides, you get to have some new tools. Also, if you ever want to refresh your brake fluid, you will NEED one ... bad idea to pump the brakes to get fluid moving.

Tools ALWAYS come in handy. You might think "why buy this particular tool, I'm only going to use it for this one project", believe me, they'll save your butt in the future.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 AM
psiegel
Racer

Epilogue – I brought the car (not an easy drive) down to the shop. Turned out to be the two least expensive things it could have been, the clutch roll pin and a leaky slave hydraulic line. I think that most of it was due to the roll pin as it was very much an “all of a sudden” change but it also has been a while since the clutch pedal returned so decisively to the top. The 964 drives great, love having it back and driving top notch once again, fast, responsive and silky smooth. It’s nice to be an involved driver once again. Like that old girlfriend, you don’t remember how good it is until she’s gone, ha, ha
Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Default It's a C4

I'm pretty sure that as he has a C4, there are the extra PDAS complictations bleeding the clutch. The only difficult part about flushing a C2 is reaching up to the slave cylinder bleed nipple, proper Hammer tools are needed to flush the LSD lines.

It sounds like it could be a slave problem, or a bad hose, but unless the fluid has gotten low, or is old, i would keep looking.

+1 On checking Engine Mounts, or shift linkage guide tube bushings. Hopefully it just needs bleeding. I do most of my own work, but flushing C4 boosted system goes to a P-Car wrench, who has the tools and has experience with 964 C4 systems.

Good Luck
Old 02-11-2012, 11:38 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

A 200k mile/19 year-old slave raised my eyebrow.
(The elastomer god, Rottus, smiles slyly seeing your name in his future appointments calender.)

It's a cheapish part ($80ish, as I recall) you might consider at next tuneup.
My first went south around 100k/13 yrs-old.

Hang in there, dude!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan G.
I'm pretty sure that as he has a C4, there are the extra PDAS complictations bleeding the clutch.
Not so much .

Quick Reply: Can't shift into 1st or reverse