Sponsored by:

Advice/thoughts on a 1992 964

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Chris in WNC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice/thoughts on a 1992 964

I currently have a 2002 Boxster (and previously had a 99 Boxster). I love the car but have always wanted a 911 Targa. I have found a 1992 964 with 44K miles. A VIN check shows that the car is heavily optioned including the limited slip locking differential transmission. The current owner has had the car for approximately 14 years and put about 11K on the car.

The problem is that the car has been sitting outside and has not been started in two years. Besides getting a PPI (I have already talked to the mechanic who did the PPI on my Boxster about doing one on this car), what should I be looking for when going over the car? What effect will sitting for two years have on the engine, transmission, etc.?

I am going to look at the car again tomorrow. The battery is dead and I won't be able to start the car (that would happen during the PPI if I get that far in the process) so any thoughts on what to check out would be appreciated.

Any advice and thoughts on the 1992 964 in general and about buying a car that has been sitting around for a couple years are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add some water remover to gas tank, drain gas tank, flush it and then fill before starting.

Has it had any wet leaves sitting on it during storage?

where is WNC?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Can you bring some jumper cables with you so you can start the car? If the car has been sitting for 2 years, I would want to change all of the fluids and put in a new battery. Also check the tires before you drive it.

How do you plan on using the car? Street, autocross, drivers ed, racing, concours, all of the above?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Outside for 2 years...unmaintained?

Look around the window seals carefully. This prospect might have signs around the windshield seals where rust can tend to start if it has been sitting...(mine has a few bubles drivers side that I will get fixed this summer) I bought mine from a salvage yard where it has set for 2 years because they couldn't sell it for $16K after they had installed a new clutch ...I bought for $12K and spent $4K (I am a DIY) to bring it to daily driver quaility. Check under the carpets for water. Look at drive shaft boots for splits, etc..... It can ad up in a hurry.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:10 PM
klr10
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WNC? where is that? would be a good idea to let those of us who are a little geographically challenged know what habitat is involved (eg UK)

BTW welcome to the forum - we're very friendly here (from all over the world)

Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
I bought for $12K and spent $4K (I am a DIY) to bring it to daily driver quaility.
Props on the DIY.

That said, if you're not gonna DIY it, then you can easily spend the purchase price of the car paying shops to get it back up to speed.

That applies to all cars, but is especially scary on a car that has been parked for years.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris in WNC
I currently have a 2002 Boxster (and previously had a 99 Boxster). I love the car but have always wanted a 911 Targa. I have found a 1992 964 with 44K miles. A VIN check shows that the car is heavily optioned including the limited slip locking differential transmission. The current owner has had the car for approximately 14 years and put about 11K on the car.

The problem is that the car has been sitting outside and has not been started in two years. Besides getting a PPI (I have already talked to the mechanic who did the PPI on my Boxster about doing one on this car), what should I be looking for when going over the car? What effect will sitting for two years have on the engine, transmission, etc.?

I am going to look at the car again tomorrow. The battery is dead and I won't be able to start the car (that would happen during the PPI if I get that far in the process) so any thoughts on what to check out would be appreciated.

Any advice and thoughts on the 1992 964 in general and about buying a car that has been sitting around for a couple years are welcome.

Thanks.
Probably don't want to try and start it without pulling the plugs and slowly turning motor over by hand.

They will eventually leak oil into the chamber and hydro lock. There may be other dried out seals, leaks, and cosmetic issue from sitting so long.

My car was on jack stands for 5 years before I bought it, (at least it was inside), the PO spent $1,700.00 getting it running and working enough to sell I did a number of other things since.

But they replace ABS pump, new batt, it was hydrolocked, pulled plugs, new plugs, cap, rotors, new dist, new AC condensor fan, and some stuff that I am not recalling now.

I had to replace the DME relay, new fuel filter, clean idle control, air filter, and balist resitors, AC dryer and charge the system, adjust the CC micro sw, O2 sensor to get everything running and working right, and for it to pass E-testing.

However, it's been a fantastic car with no major issues since.

It's all going to depend on the car, the money you have to pay for it, and how much you want to do after purchasing because I am sure it will need stuff.

Part will be just maint items and part will be from sitting and not driving.

Also a DIYer.

If you have to take the P-car shop or Dealer for everything it will bleed you dry pretty quick.

Est to fix AC $2900.00 actual cost for me to DIY $320 and has worked for two years now.

Last edited by Makmov; 01-24-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
1985mb
Instructor

I don't want to hi-jack your thread, but I feel it's relevant enough to post here. My buddy is thinking about selling his 1990 964 Targa with ~56k miles, owned for almost 10 years since 2002. Always garaged, not driven in snow, etc. Great condition but as always PPI is best just so everyone is on the same page, so we will try to get that done as schedules/weather cooperate.

My advice to him is put it in front of enthusiasts first, hence my joining this forum (been part of MBWorld, Audizine and bimmerfest before). Pictures soon--not sure if I can start my own thread yet. I feel it's relevant enough for the OP, so throwing it out there but if anyone has advice for us pls start a thread
Old 01-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Makmov
Drifting

That is always another option. Look at a different car. I would say, however, if you can get a 1991 or newer car. They (PORSCHE) did a pile of updates and improvements for the 91 model year: rear shock mounts, o-rings on the heads, Luk DMF, OBD1 update etc.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Chris in WNC
Track Day

Sorry for the geographic confusion! I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina in the US (near the Dragon if you are familiar with the road http://www.tailofthedragon.com/).

Thanks for all the great replies so far and what others have experienced with cars that have been sitting. My plan is to spend some time going over it where it is parked and decide whether it is worth transporting it to the mechanic for a PPI (about an hour and a half away). The Owner is familiar with who I want to take it to and I think it would be better letting the mechanic get it running.

I plan on using the car as my daily driver like I have used my Boxster. I put 18K miles on the Boxster in the last year though a job change could bring that down significantly. However, a good estimate would be 12k - 15K miles a year.

I have not been much of a DIY person with cars until the latest Boxster. There is so much info and step by step instructions online that it has given me the confidence and knowledge to tackle the few minor things that have been needed so far - oil changes, center console delete, electrical portion of ignition switch. Am I correct in assuming that the 964 community is a wealth of knowledge like the Boxster community? Having that knowledge base out there is reassuring and one of the reasons I would buy the car.

I know the car will need tires, the targa top is in rough shape, fluids, filters, etc so I know there will be at least $3K and I will probably plan on closer to 5K to get it in running order. I would most likely pay an independent mechanic to get it running and then try and take care of as much on my own as is reasonable in terms of general maintenance.

The 1992 is definitely my preference for the reasons another poster mentioned and this car is the color I want. I am getting excited about it and trying remain rational and not get in over my head.

Again, thanks for the thoughtful and quick responses!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Knowlege base on 964 is at least that of Boxter, if not more, likely more.

I was an old early 911 guy 2.7s, Ts, E, SC, 3.2s, and turbos up to about the late 80s cars, but pretty clueless about 964s. They were brand new when I got out of wrenching on P-cars for a living.

Nevertheless, I have learned volumes of info on the 964 in a very short period of time. Surprisingly, beyond the basics, there is not a lot that is the same on a 964 compaired to the older cars.

They say, which I can believe, it's only 20% of the 3.2 Carrera, and 80% 993.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're going to be doing 15k mi/yr, then either become a competent DIYer or be sure to budget at least $1k/yr for a valve adjustment, plus anything else that may come up.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Yeah, 12k is the valve adjust interval and it DOES! make a difference, and it's at least a grand if you have someone do it.

10.6hrs + gasket set + plugs + oil change recommended.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Chris. There were only 151 1992 Targas brought into the states and I know some have gone back to Europe. I think it would be worth taking the steps listed above to get this up and running. Have someone take a look at it. Make sure the Targa top doesn't leak (assume it's ok but it could have been under a cover). There will be a bit of yearly maintenance running it that many miles per year.

There is a link in my signature that documents as many Targas as possible. There are 8 of the 151 in there. Note, the VINs go up to 211 but the first 60 were reserved by Porsche.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 PM
92silver964
Racer

I found this to be pretty handy - short and sweet. It just covers the 964. Hope the link below works.

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Advice/thoughts on a 1992 964