Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i remove this longitudinal lock in front of tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:07 AM
napaul
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do i remove this longitudinal lock in front of tranny?

i was under the car draining the tranny and diffs si i can replace the oils and was looking at this leak which is near the shifter rod entering the tranny.car hasn't been driven for a month already and yet it is leaking i assume from shear gravity.any ways i can see some oil near the shifter seal and moer near the big bolts. Is there a gasket here that should be replaced? cause i had engine rebuilt this past spring but not sure if tranny gaskets were replaced at that time. As i was not paying for rebuild.I should mention driving the car never any trouble shifting or downshifting car runs smooth and pulls strong. I notice there is some sort of slave cylinder near there but cannot see it leaking either.

On another note when i drained the tranny oil which was black and drain plug had a heavy sludge built up around magnet anyways to continue on when i looked up the drain hole i could see a pieace of wire so i thought so i grabbed a pick and pulled it out.Turned out to be a tightly wound spring maybe 2" long and maybe 1/16 diameter. If i had to compare almost looks like a wire spring you would find wrapped in the rubber of a seal.could it just be the old shifter seal wire that at some point got pushed in during replacement and never retrieved i find it hard to believe the tranny would have such a small spring in it?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:11 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

You should photograph the spring. And yes, you can be sure Porsche did not design the transmission to have a loose spring in it.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

For the oil drip, it could be transmission gear oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid. Does it have a sulfur smell? If yes, then its transmission gear oil. The color doesn't look like power steering fluid. Does the fluid feel like brake fluid?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 AM
napaul
Racer

No it appears to be transmission gear oil. I can see just a little seep past shifter seal but mostly around those 2 big bolts that's I am curious is there a gasket at the mating surface there that may need replacing? As for the spring it's so thin I can't get a clear pic of it.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

did you happen to note the gear oil level before you drained? If it was nowhere near the fill hole level, that would be an indication of gear oil leak.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:16 PM
napaul
Racer

well i measured mor or less what was drained out and i had approx 3.6-3.8 litres drained from tranny.haven"t noticed my brake fluid level being low either.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
napaul
Racer

well i can now confirm that it is gear oil for sure as i drained the tranny and replaced gear oil and washed everything off with brake clean and when i checked today there is fresh gear oil dripping from the bolt under that clutch cylinder.So my question would be from those of you who are familiar with this area is what is in this region that gear oil could leak past other than the shifter seal which appears to be dry for now is there a gasket between where the drive shaft bolts up to the tranny or is there a seal that may need replacing?

Is there a way of putting some separation between the tranny and drive shaft without having to remove engine and tranny just to take a quick look?
Old 12-10-2011, 12:33 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

helicoil from previously stripped thread.
you will need to replace.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:14 AM
napaul
Racer

do these bolts actually go into the tranny case that gear oil can get past? it looks like it is just a mating surface where the drive shaft bolts up to the tranny. If i unbolt those 2 large bolts is there enough play to separate the 2 surfaces just to inspect in behind to see if i can see the oil coming out or from up top also?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 PM
CoastRider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost certainly, you picked out a helicoil from a previously stripped thread...replace before you get more serious trouble
Old 12-12-2011, 02:17 AM
napaul
Racer

so to check if the the threads into the tranny are damaged when i remove the bolt is the gear oil gonna come pouring out requiring me to drain the tranny again prior to doing this? and if the thread has been repaired can i apply some sort of sealant to the bolt. I have access to large time serts for these application are they suitable for this kind of repair? would still like to know if i can separate the drive shaft and tranny after unbolting the 2 large bolts without removing the tranny and engine?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:52 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Do you have a picture of what came out of the transmission? As far as the leak, on mine I had the seal behind the the forward diff actuator(the one in the picture) leak. Not a big repair, and a pretty cheap seal.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 AM
napaul
Racer

When you say not a difficult repair is it something I can attempt myself if iam a little mechanically inclined? What I don't want to get into is removing engine and tranny....
Old 12-12-2011, 02:47 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

It was really easy. You can replace the seal in car, without removing engine or trans. Remove the Acuator, and there is a seal behind it. It's a little hard to explain, basically it is a normal seal on the outside, but in the inside, where the actuator pushes into the transmission, it's a bellows set up. You could get a better look to see if it's leaking by pulling the actuator off. Then you should be able to see if the seal is leaking. Just don't turn the key on with the actuator out of the trans, I would imagine that it could blow the operating rod out of the actuator, just like stepping on the clutch pedal with the slave pulled out of the transmission.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:36 PM
napaul
Racer

sorry for picking your brain here davis and others but to remove this actuator is it a matter of undoing those 2 big bolts and taking it off or is there additional hardware that must be removed to get the actuator out and inspect? is there a diagram somewhere of this area that i can reference.i have the bentley manual but do not see it there?

Quick Reply: how do i remove this longitudinal lock in front of tranny?