Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS rear bumper center. Worth it, aesthetically?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

James,

Eventually, I would like to do many of the changes you listed.

My driver's side rear bumper is a bit bruised and needing replacement (WTB replacement!), so I could do this RS center piece while i'm at it. I'll probably tackle this in the coming months while visiting the body shop for a bit of rust at the base of the front windscreen.

My suspension is 20yo and handling is suffering badly, so it needs to be replaced entirely, probably with coilovers, sways, bushings, etc.

I've been driving the car on avg. 3-4 days a week since March w/ a nice Pioneer HU that isn't hooked up (prior owner removed aftermarket amp prior to sale), and haven't really missed not having tunes. Radio might go, but HVAC is staying as i'd die during Texas summers w/o it.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Mr.Spacely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing this thread back to find out what kind of bumper center is shown in this pic, which I grabbed from Pelican, and which was called a 'euro' bumper. But it looks different than some of the others posted in this thread. To me it looks like the 'Aussie' bumper on page 2. Would love to find one of these.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

That's a European, non-RS, center section.

I doubt anyone makes a fiberglass reproduction of those, but it should be easier and cheaper to source an OEM piece than an OEM RS piece.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 180 Posts

Just did this mod to my C4....mainly for the weight savings...haa, and because I like the look.

Unfortunately the car still doesn't look as cool as the green one on page 1 or the blue RS. Guess Black will have to do.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+964 for RS look

To me the RS bumper is more in keeping with the early 911 over riders and the rubber bumperettes on the impact bumper 911's. It totally changes the shape of the rear end from 90's Mondeo smooth plastic to shapely 911 lines...

Another example of the 911 dividing opinion and being one thing to all comers. Whatever your preference, we are all right in our own minds!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice Chris, but without a photo it didn't happen.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobaines
Nice Chris, but without a photo it didn't happen.
True ! All I have is a crap cell-phone shot from JE.
Here you go. I'll post some beauty shots later with the houndstooth...
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get one (but it would have to be OEM) since the USA rear bumper sticks out a full inch further that the ROW rear bumper - from the side that a fair bit and would make the car visually shorter.

I like the look of the cutout etc from the back, but making the back a little less 'heavy' and long, would be a big improvement visually IMHO.

That said, I'm not sure the aftermarket rear bumpers have the same setback as the OEM ROW part
Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I ended up doing this mod after all using the fiberglass Rennspd piece.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
I may be one of the few but I actually think the C2/C4 version looks much better. It's smoother and "holds" the horizontal line better on the bumper. the RS version also looks bigger with the two bumps och each side.

Thomas
+964

IMO - it ain't an RS. Be proud, keep your stock bumper and badges. You don't need to try, the car speaks for what it is.

If you like it tho - do it.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, but the question was 'aesthetically' speaking - so it's not 'trying' to be an RS (very few would even know what the diff is!)

To me, the 964 doesn't need any extra weight in the rear end (or the front for that matter), and the size and length of the rear US bumper doesn't help the look of the car to my eyes so I'd do it as a 'visual heft' reduction maneuver.

Along that line - the primary reason I did 'RS' ducts was to make the front of the car look a little less massive. My original driving lights and the clear markers I had on it first made the front look huge IMHO and so I want to break it up a bit. This rear does the same - just scanning images online you really get a sense for the visual 'heft' difference.

But again - to each their own!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus964
...To me, the 964 doesn't need any extra weight in the rear end (or the front for that matter), and the size and length of the rear US bumper doesn't help the look of the car to my eyes so I'd do it as a 'visual heft' reduction maneuver.
I agree to an extent. The one thing I don't like about the RS bumper is the HUGE license plate light hardware. I prefer the much smaller U.S. license plate light hardware.

And because I like pictures, my car parked next to a U.S. certified RS.

Originally Posted by Shamus964
...My original driving lights and the clear markers I had on it first made the front look huge IMHO and so I want to break it up a bit. This rear does the same - just scanning images online you really get a sense for the visual 'heft' difference.

But again - to each their own!
I agree and wish the secondary lights where 7/8 scale. They are just a tad too big, but not bad for 20 years later. I know people love clear corner lights but to my eye they make the lights look even bigger, especially on a dark colored car.

Let me take that back, I'm drooling...
Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

A Euro rear bumper is one thing... but I draw the line if someone in the States decides to add those UGLY front quarter panel turn signal lights.
We are so lucky that we don't have those ugly things cluttering up the side profile of these gorgeous cars.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I don't think there is much, if any, of a weight savings. You're just replacing the skin.

In my opinion, the USDM pieces makes the rear look like it has a shelf back there. The Euro non-RS piece is better in this regard since it is just straight across, doesn't buldge outward like the US piece.

The RS piece is pretty much flush with the impact beam, so it really cuts down on the visual depth of the rear bumper. I also think the shape of RS pieces gives the narrow body rear a bit more of a presence.

The RS center is like a nice pair of jeans on a skinny girl w/ small hips. You know she's not working w/ 'dat ***' but you still want to do naughty things to it.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
I don't think there is much, if any, of a weight savings. You're just replacing the skin.

In my opinion, the USDM pieces makes the rear look like it has a shelf back there. The Euro non-RS piece is better in this regard since it is just straight across, doesn't buldge outward like the US piece.

The RS piece is pretty much flush with the impact beam, so it really cuts down on the visual depth of the rear bumper. I also think the shape of RS pieces gives the narrow body rear a bit more of a presence.

The RS center is like a nice pair of jeans on a skinny girl w/ small hips. You know she's not working w/ 'dat ***' but you still want to do naughty things to it.
+1

Quick Reply: RS rear bumper center. Worth it, aesthetically?