Sponsored by:

Disaster - oil pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruairidh
Is there any way to assess how much would need to be rebuilt here? I've read as many of the relevant threads as I can, but any thoughts would be welcome.
In situations like these, its very difficult to make accurate estimates until its disassembled and inspected due to the unknown nature of any damage.

Its the parts bill that comprises the lion's share of the total cost and that cannot be determined until everything is thoroughly inspected and measured.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:26 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another buddy in trouble!

Thinking about you, Ruairidh.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
rodders
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar experience when I experienced a noise that was like timing chains - a noise you dont get on 964's but common place on older 911's
- I was going driving from London to Alderley Edge to have the car serviced - 120,000 miles - I bought the car new, it had the most perfect service history possible, the same engineer, in the same Porsche main agent, nothing but Moblie 1 - I was told I had experienced oil starvation to the third main bearing, which ran a bearing and scattered shrapnel throughout the engine.
Porsche helped me buy a 28,000 mile replacement, I replaced every component that had been exposed to the original oil.
Lines, thermostat, cooler, tank
Details were posted on this site all those years ago - it must have been around 1999 or there abouts.
There will be details in the archives.
I was given the impression that oil starvation was something that did occur occasionally.
However, your situation looks more questionable ??
By the way I still have my car - one owner from new in1989 - 175,000 miles and say no more - I still love it but find the BMW 330D Auto Touring M-Tech with all the bells and whistles easier in Chelsea London, the kids are now 11 and 13 - a bit big for the rear - but the same car grew up with my other kids as well - the 39, 35 and the 31 year old - together with the earlier models
Old 12-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rodders

I was given the impression that oil starvation was something that did occur occasionally.
However, your situation looks more questionable ??....
It doesn't take much to clog one of the oil spray holes, so this is more common. The oil pump can deal with stuff that small. It's complete oil pump failure that is rare, unless something foreign & much bigger was introduced into the system.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Any update?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the car is now home in my garage as I decide what to do. I’ll either rebuild the current engine or I’m toying with the idea of putting a later 993 Varioram motor in.

In terms of root cause. Still no real advance. All my mechanic can tell me is that the car has zero oil pressure.

My shop is convinced that the work they did was not the cause. which, in addition to some suspension work, included the following:
• Remove and replace the timing cover gasket sets
• Remove and replace the front crankshaft seal
• Power Steering rack replacement along with hoses, reservoir etc
• Remove and reinstall oil lines from and to the thermostat (given the recent thread around oil lines see https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...f-warning.html ) Hoses were taken off for rebuilding but the old ones were put back on as the shops hose suppliers could not fabricate new, better quality ones than OEM – key ones were 964 207 135 04 Oil Cooler to Thermostat, 964 207 133 04 Thermostat to Oil Cooler and 964 207 254 08 Oil Filter Housing to Thermostat.

Their hypothesis is that there are splines and collars on the oil pump that do sometimes break and that this is likely the cause of an oil pump failure. The oil line replacement would not have been a factor as the engine rattled within a few seconds of starting – likely the far side timing chain rattling as it was the first part to be without oil – and so the engine would not have triggered the thermostat or oil from that part of the lubrication system. But until the engine is opened we won’t know what caused the loss of oil pressure or what else needs replacing.

All thoughts and advice continue to be welcome.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i was in your position, I would probably have a 2nd opinion done.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:12 PM
falcor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound wierd that the pump would fail like that out of the blue in releation to the car getting serviced....
Old 12-12-2011, 05:24 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

This shop doesn't happen to reside in Richardson does it?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruairidh
So the car is now home in my garage as I decide what to do. I’ll either rebuild the current engine or I’m toying with the idea of putting a later 993 Varioram motor in.

In terms of root cause. Still no real advance. All my mechanic can tell me is that the car has zero oil pressure.

My shop is convinced that the work they did was not the cause. which, in addition to some suspension work, included the following:
• Remove and replace the timing cover gasket sets
• Remove and replace the front crankshaft seal
• Power Steering rack replacement along with hoses, reservoir etc
• Remove and reinstall oil lines from and to the thermostat (given the recent thread around oil lines see https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...f-warning.html ) Hoses were taken off for rebuilding but the old ones were put back on as the shops hose suppliers could not fabricate new, better quality ones than OEM – key ones were 964 207 135 04 Oil Cooler to Thermostat, 964 207 133 04 Thermostat to Oil Cooler and 964 207 254 08 Oil Filter Housing to Thermostat.

Their hypothesis is that there are splines and collars on the oil pump that do sometimes break and that this is likely the cause of an oil pump failure. The oil line replacement would not have been a factor as the engine rattled within a few seconds of starting – likely the far side timing chain rattling as it was the first part to be without oil – and so the engine would not have triggered the thermostat or oil from that part of the lubrication system. But until the engine is opened we won’t know what caused the loss of oil pressure or what else needs replacing.

All thoughts and advice continue to be welcome.
Having seen such things in my time, my best advice would be to get a second opinion from a very qualified and honest individual who knows something about these engines. This person needs to thoroughly disassemble the engine and carefully inspect everything.

Fact is, only detailed forensics will tell the story of what happened and in what sequence.

Once that's all completed, you will know whether you have any potential recourse or not. Further, you'll know whether this engine is salvageable or not.

Quick Reply: Disaster - oil pump failure?