Sponsored by:

Replaced my spoiler curtain

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Replaced my spoiler curtain

I finally got around to replacing my spoiler curtain the other day.
I've been putting it off, because I really didn't want to take the spoiler apart and off as described on P-Car. I just started poking around to see how the old, split curtain piece(s) were attached and how they come off. I got the old one off in about 5 minutes

Raise the spoiler to the top. lower for 2 seconds.

The lower section (2) snaps on/off a metal bar on the spoiler. (2a),
and also has a pin (1&1a) a little higher holding it into place. Can't see it here, it's on the inside of the vertical metal piece.
The top part of the curtain (3) just snaps on to the top of the spoiler (3a),
Bottom picture is the cross section of how it snaps onto the top ledge. It has a tooth or barb on the bottom that passes over a sheet metal edge on the ledge and snaps on.

Once I got a corner of the top on, I worked the rest of it on from above, pushing/sliding the curtain onto 'the ledge' underneath the spoiler. At the same time I was pushing back with my other hand on the outside edge of the spoiler with a micro cloth so there was no movement of the spoiler as I was attaching the top.

To install:

Hook (1) around (1a) on both sides.
Snap (2) onto (2a) and work it on the entire bottom length.
Snap the corner of (3) onto (3a) and work it onto the ledge the entire length of the spoiler.

Stats
Parts needed Spoiler Curtain: 993-512-121-00
Tools needed: MicroFiber cloth
Removal: 5 minutes
Installation: 15 minutes
Beers: only time for one
Attached Images      
Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!

I got to do this job myself pretty soon, this is handy
Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent.....

This needs to be posted in the DYI section...
Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 PM
bmohr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this looks familiar, mine failed at the top slat bend as too. Wait, your car looks familiar as well, Guards red is a classic
Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Laker - Great write up. You should submit this to the 964 DIY section.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh yeah, the p-car write-up is nuts and totally unnecessary.

Marc
p.s. I'll move it to the DIY in a day or two in case any constructive comments worth saving in the DIY section get posted.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine is torn, but towards the very top. It's not noticeable, so I haven't deemed it worth replacing.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice write-up, Laker.

Step 3-3a was a real beetch on my car. The fit was too tight to do it in place. I had to remove the spoiler and fit it while the spoiler sat on a sturdy work surface. I think it's due to inconsistencies in the manufacture of the curtain. My part was purchased from Porsche...you'd think it would be a great fit. LOL.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Grazie
Instructor

Thanks for the wirte-up...I too need to do this. Where did you source the part? Price? Do you happen to have a part # handy?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The part number is 993-512-121-00. You can order it from your favorite vendors who carry OEM parts including Sunset, Pelican, EBS Racing, etc.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

This is a fantastic write-up and better than the one I had in mind (you just saved me from an inferior write-up Laker )

I think I did the top section first and then the bottom part on the thick bar. Had to fiddle a bit getting the pin 1-1a to fit properly on the spoiler lip. But, I do have to say that it took me 5 minutes in total - taking the old one off and installing the new one.... I wish this was the case with my other projects too.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a ~$100 part, depending on where you buy it.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:30 AM
CoastRider
Intermediate

nice write up...For the general thought....if you catch the split before it completely disintegrates (especially
in more than one place) the judicious application of some black (yes, they make colors) duct tape will last for many mile and will save you the $100 + bucks
not for perfectionists...just a thought
Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys. I get a kick out of simplifying overly complex procedures.

Originally Posted by Vandit
Mine is torn, but towards the very top. It's not noticeable, so I haven't deemed it worth replacing.
I felt the same and was scared off by the P-Car procedure. Deep down, I knew it wasn't right, and it bugged me.

Originally Posted by Jim Richards
Step 3-3a was a real beetch on my car. The fit was too tight to do it in place. I had to remove the spoiler and fit it while the spoiler sat on a sturdy work surface. I think it's due to inconsistencies in the manufacture of the curtain. My part was purchased from Porsche...you'd think it would be a great fit. LOL.
I think the top of the curtain is perfectly straight, but the ledge on the spoiler has an arc to it. 3-->3a was the toughest part, but do-able if you reach around the front of the spoiler from above.

Originally Posted by Grazie
Thanks for the wirte-up...I too need to do this. Where did you source the part? Price? Do you happen to have a part # handy?
993-512-121-00 I have a deal with my local P-dealer. Sonnen's price + 10% so about $100 with tax.

Originally Posted by CoastRider
nice write up...For the general thought....if you catch the split before it completely disintegrates (especially
in more than one place) the judicious application of some black (yes, they make colors) duct tape will last for many mile and will save you the $100 + bucks
not for perfectionists...just a thought
Yeah, I read that somewhere and thought about it, but like upgrades, work-arounds with duct tape are also a slippery slope I want to avoid if at all possible

Last edited by Laker; 10-18-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up and perfect timing for me as this is one of the things that will soon need attention on my car. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Replaced my spoiler curtain