Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REAR FUSE BOX COVER REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

You've got to be kidding me. I am trying to drop the engine in my car and I get stuck on this problem. I can't get the fuse box cover panel off. The upper plastic nut just turns and nothing happens because it is spinning free of screw that is supposed to grab on to. No I am going to have to destroy that upper plastic nut somehow and dremel off the head of the screw.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:30 PM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear fuse box

Believe me, that is only way to do it. I did it.

Don
Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I dremeled the plastic nut off the screw. Then I use a pair of needle nose vice grips to turn the screw and that worked. Thx.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

The top fuse box cover screw is what gave me problems. Here is a photo of screw in place after I took the black plastic head off the screw. I then used needle nose vice grips to unscrew it carefully.

The other photo shows a good screw from one of the other two corners.
Attached Images   
Old 07-09-2012, 05:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
I can't get the fuse box cover panel off. The upper plastic nut just turns and nothing happens because it is spinning free of screw that is supposed to grab on to. Now I am going to have to destroy that upper plastic nut somehow and dremel off the head of the screw.
The brass insert is spinning in the base of the fuse box. I had the same thing happen.

All you had to do is pull the cover off (after loosening the other screws that could be loosened), unscrew the insert and glue it in place in the fuse box.

Pics
Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 PM
GMuttart
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 964, I experienced both the spinning insert in the base as well as the spinning plastic head - both on the same screw! Thankfully, Alex's approach (Pull!) worked on this insert and a pair of Vice Grips held the head well enough to unscrew it from the insert.

However, a second insert refused to budge. I had to Dremel the plastic and metal head of the screw and drill the screw. Once enough of the screw was drilled, I was able to get the top off. The screw itself was loose in the insert by this time, likely due to the heat generated by the drill bit. The good news is that I did not damage the top. Now to replace the bad screws with bolts and glue the insert in place.

Quick Reply: REAR FUSE BOX COVER REMOVAL