REAR FUSE BOX COVER REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:55 PM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default REAR FUSE BOX COVER REMOVAL

Hi
This is a 1991 911 964 Targa Carrera 2 with Tip.
I have tried to open the rear fuse box but no joy.
Tried to unfasten the top 2 screw *****, but they just turned. The bottom one did come out.
I cut off the top of the *****, hoping to be able to slide the box cover off, but the cover appears to be glued to the box.
I tried to pull out an turn the screw stubs, not luck. I followed suggestions, but no luck

COULD SOMEONE TAKE SOME PHOTOS OF THE FUSE BOX COVER INSIDES, WHERE THE SCREWS ARE, AS WELL AS THE SECTION OF THE BOX WHERE THE SCREWS SCREW INTO. MAYBE I CAN FUGURE OUT SOMETHING NOT DISTRUCTIVE.

THANKS

DON
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2011, 02:30 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check this out for a pic
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-964-...item2eb4f52c54
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Oracle
Pro

If I remember correctly the seal is rubber and gets sticky with time. Pry it off (If you have dremmeled off the heads of the bolts).

I can't remove mine because the nuts are turning free so eventually I'll have to do the same... but before they broke free I removed the cover a couple of times..

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:28 PM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Red face

Hi to all

The photo of the bottom fuse box is appreciated, as is the suggestions that the two fuse box halves have bonded together due to the gasket.
I have not pried up yet, as I do not wish to brake anything, and am still looking forward to a photo of the fuse box top cover, showing the inside box screw protrusions.

Thanks

Don
Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DIS
Hi to all

The photo of the bottom fuse box is appreciated, as is the suggestions that the two fuse box halves have bonded together due to the gasket.
I have not pried up yet, as I do not wish to brake anything, and am still looking forward to a photo of the fuse box top cover, showing the inside box screw protrusions.

Thanks

Don
i hope this shows you enough of the screw protusions
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-96...item19c935668d
Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by DIS
I have tried to open the rear fuse box but no joy.

Tried to unfasten the top 2 screw *****, but they just turned.
If your cover is similar to the one on my 993, there are brass inserts in the plastic fuse box that the screws for the cover screw into.

Two of my screws also turned without loosening due to the screw/brass insert combination being over-tightened and the combination just spinning in the plastic fuse box housing.

After getting the one screw out that did unscrew, I just pulled the cover off...straight out so as not to crack the holes that the brass inserts sit in.

I then thoroughly cleaned the holes that the brass inserts sit in by using cotton swabs to remove any plastic shavings and dust. I then cleaned the hole with 99% alcohol to degrease it.

The loose brass inserts which are knurled were cleaned of any corrosion (I actually polished them). They were then glued back into the holes in the plastic fuse box using JB Weld, wiping off any excess glue. The glue was allowed to cure overnight.

Looks like new...works like new...solid!

Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:45 PM
DIS
Rennlist Member

HI
Thanks for the extensive explanation. I did remove the plastic nuts which turn the threaded screw, and I did expect to be able to slip the cover over the remaining brass studs, but such is not the case.

There must be something keeping the cover attached to the studs, but I do not know how bid this is or what it is.

This is why I was thinking that an inside the cover photo of the studs would be of some help.

Thanks

Don
Old 10-16-2011, 06:27 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DIS
I was thinking that an inside the cover photo of the studs would be of some help.
Slight differences between the 964 and 993, I am sure, but maybe these pics will help.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:02 AM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Hi

Wow! What great photos. What a clean car!!
Now if you could I would like to see a real close up of the screw in the lid, on the inside. I do not understand why the lid will not come up after removing the hex nuts/caps of the screws``````````` on the topside of the box. I would think that the lid would just slide up, but it will not come up. I have tried to pry the lid up around both spinning screws, but they do not budge.
I AM ATTACHING PHOTOS OF MINE FOR SUGGESTIONS.

THANKS

DON
Attached Images    
Old 10-17-2011, 01:43 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Don,
The screws will come out with the cover - they're captured on the cover. If they spin freely (able to turn using 2 fingers) they're not holding the cover on.

Also, it appears that the flange section of the nut is still there - the knurled section (2nd pic). If you have a dremel tool, take those down till it's flush with the cover. Anyway, when you back out the screw there should be a gap opening up between the flange and the cover.

If the screws don't turn freely then the brass insert is turning in the fuse box.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DIS
I would think that the lid would just slide up, but it will not come up.

DON
Don, what do you mean by the above?

The lid comes off sideways towards the center of the engine. It does not hinge, or slide up, or anything like that.

IF those screws are spinning but have not come out, even by a few threads, then your threaded brass insert is spinning in the main fuse box...those same threaded brass inserts seen in my pics.

You will need to apply a bit of force and pull the cover off in order to get those threaded inserts to come out. Apply the force at each screw location.

Once the cover is off, you can hold your cut off screws with a vise-grip and unscrew the threaded brass insert as you will need to reglue them into the fuse box as I have.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Hi

I finally have the cover off. Used a soldering iron to melt the plastic around the screws, and the cover came off.
Found that the inserts in the fuse case do rotate, but I cannot removed them.
I may use a little heat to either fasten them by melting the plastic around them or pull them out with heat, and use some adhesive to reinstall them.
But now I do need a replacement cover, as the present one is damaged.
I am holding it in place with one screw and some bailing wire.

Any one know of a spare cover?

Thanks to all for the help

Don
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DIS
Found that the inserts in the fuse case do rotate, but I cannot removed them.

I may use a little heat to either fasten them by melting the plastic around them or pull them out with heat, and use some adhesive to reinstall them.

Don
Don, remove them and glue them properly in place or you'll be going through all this all over again the next time.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 AM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Hi

Loved your Alps touring photos. Boy, do I envy your on your trips on 2 wheels. I did some of the Alps passes in cars, alas not Porsches, but it was fun nevertheless. Just last summer did some passes in Tuscany, going by many marble quarries, etc.

Don

Don
Old 11-02-2011, 03:23 AM
DIS
Rennlist Member

Hi to all
The project completed. The two inserts have been removed, the holes cleaned up and the inserts reinstalled with some good 2 part epoxy.
A new cover was purchased from the used parts outfit for $30 (including shipping) and everything is back in place. New cover came with all fuses, screws, fuse label and fuse puller!!!!!!
I really appreciate all the help, photos and admonishing from all, but specially from Alex.

Best to all

Don

Quick Reply: REAR FUSE BOX COVER REMOVAL