PaulW_964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great Ben
Old 12-07-2011, 01:11 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you'll be done in time for our Spa road trip.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 AM
hamah
Pro

Wow. I'd never heard of (or seen) a "retro" look mod done before. While I don't think it is something I would undertake myself I must say this is a beautiful looking car. Well done sir!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:02 PM
cuse92
Instructor

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The positive thoughts are all that is keeping me going as I am well into my fourth month without the car...

Yes, it is looking promising for the Spa/'Ring weekend, my only real concern is the rear calipers, as we have no clue when they will arrive. They've already been on order with Stuttgart for three months and they won't commit to a delivery date. I also need to get some specific advice on running the new engine in (any thoughts on that?) and hope I have the car in time to do it properly beforehand.

Thanks hamah, I agree I never would have done this to a 964 myself, luckily someone else did the major bodywork for me so I didn't have it on my conscience! A number of companies do these retro conversions and there are a few threads on the subject - Paul Stephens (who did my car) is one of the most prominent of the UK companies through his PS Autoart line. Over on your side of the pond is probably the most high-end of the conversions, through Singer Vehicle Design - their work is amazing as well (but uber-expensive). I like the look of the old cars but also like power steering, ABS etc so it was perfect for me, but definitely not for everyone...

Hopefully will be posting more (and driving) soon!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cuse92

Yes, it is looking promising for the Spa/'Ring weekend, my only real concern is the rear calipers, as we have no clue when they will arrive. They've already been on order with Stuttgart for three months and they won't commit to a delivery date. I also need to get some specific advice on running the new engine in (any thoughts on that?) and hope I have the car in time to do it properly beforehand.
My running in period consisted of about 500 miles trying not to go over 4K rpm and another 500 not going over 5.5K rpm. Running in miles are best done on roads where you are regularly making gear changes i.e. doing 500 miles in one day, up and down a motorway at constant speed is not a good idea.

At 1000 miles the oil was changed and valve clearances checked and the car was good for normal use. Personally, I found the engine still felt a little tight over the next 1,000 miles. But the first trackday I did with it (after passing 2,000 miles post re-build)....I got the wow factor from a fresh engine that felt like it had much more to give than it ever had before. HTH.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:58 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Default FINALLY DONE (ALMOST...)

After 7 months, I finally got my car back yesterday... but it was worth the wait!

Car is absolutely stunning. The new engine, coupled with the RS flywheel and the six speed 'box are just incredible. It pulls like a train in any gear, sounds incredible, stops better and is much more taut on the road.

To recap what I've had done:

Mechanically, I've had a 3.8 engine full rebuild, with 993 3.8RS pistons and cylinders, 993 Cup cams, RS flywheel, 964RS LSD, 964RS brakes, 6-speed G50 from a '95 993 with a shortshifter, RS engine mounts, and new Bilsteins all around (mine were original). Springs were upgraded previously, and I had a Hayward and Scott exhaust system including headers previously installed.

I'm very happy with the exterior mods as well. I had the paint resprayed, the wheels redone, Porsche decals (which i love, they really break up the side of the car), side indicator delete and the new headlights.

Interior is pretty much as I'd already had it, except for the gearknob, which I had specially made up to look like an older 915 ****.

There are still a few issues to sort out, but the only one of any import is that the idle can sometimes hunt while at a standstill, thanks to the lightweight flywheel and ECU tweaks to try to make it easier to drive. It doesn't happen all the time and everyone is confident we can get it sorted. Other than that and a big bill (to be fair I've had a lot done to the car...) it is all good.

I've attached some pictures, which are not great, but on the upside, Total 911 was there when I picked the car up and it is going to be featured in an article in I think the May issue, which will have much better pics!

To say I'm happy is an understatement, cannot wait to get it out to play this summer!
Attached Images      
Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Default More Pics

A few more pics...
Attached Images      
Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 AM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Stunning!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 AM
falcor
Racer

Absolutely gorgeous !

(one little thing tho....if available plese replace the torn valve adjustment sticker on the fan shroud, it kinda lets the whole engine bay down just a tiny tiny bit)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW Ben! Looking spectacular! The detail is wonderful, wheels, gear **** look great. And the decals are perfect! Truly a beautiful machine. Since it's now back, Spa/ Ring - there are still places available?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Love this car
the Paul Stevens stand at goodwood last year was one of the highlights for me

these recreations look absolutly perfect
Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by falcor
Absolutely gorgeous !

(one little thing tho....if available plese replace the torn valve adjustment sticker on the fan shroud, it kinda lets the whole engine bay down just a tiny tiny bit)
I love this place when you get comments like this.... OCD at it finest!!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 AM
falcor
Racer

Since I have no idea what OCD means I'll take that as a compliment... :-)

Quick Reply: PS Autoart *BUILD PROGRESS - NEW PICS*