Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Carrera vs. 964 for the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, what a great vid...talk about close racing. These guys spent as much time off the track than on!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:32 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
One wonders how many secs a cup car could gain over a well prepared normal everyday 964.

I say precious few, if any.
Take a look at the class records for club racing. I think you'll be surprised.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Take a look at the class records for club racing. I think you'll be surprised.
Interesting, about 2 to 2.5 seconds.

A blueprinted 964 race car at the same weight as a cup car would run the same time, I'm sure. Remember the G and H cars have to meet weight, R&P aren't free and the cups were probably on slicks, not dot tires.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in no way an expert but I do have a question. How does the flow of this thread compare to the thread that discussed where Singer made the move to use the 964 as their new platform? HERE
Old 10-06-2011, 05:08 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 88 Club Sport
Wow, what a great vid...talk about close racing. These guys spent as much time off the track than on!
Glad you enjoyed....your thread was an ideal excuse to post it up again

I agree that making a full and true cup replica would be an expensive job (and you would never recover all of the money spent) but it would be doable if someone has the inclination because they are least starting with the same shell, engine and gearbox. Certainly more doable and less expensive than say trying to turn a standard 997 into a 997 cup.

With less expense (although still substantial) you can transform a 964 C2 into a 'spirit of a cup car' to produce something that is a lot quicker than a well set up C2. A UK Rennlister (GT two) has done just that. Here is some info on what he's done to it:

http://www.cagedcar.com/

A racing driver friend of mine has driven my own well set up lightly modified C2 around Silverstone GP circuit (it's about a 2'20" lap). On the same spec tyres (MPSCs) he was over 5 seconds slower than he is when in his 964 race car.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:09 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone else recommended a varioram in my '78...add some larger brakes and that might be a better plan.
A 3.6 in your car would be a great choice and close the gap between you and the water pumpers. Doesnt need to be a Vram, the 993 non vram is a touch lighter, simpler and gives almost as much power where you are using it on track.

My non vram 89 car is pretty close to GT3 straightline speed but I need bigger tyres and bigger ***** to keep with them in the twisty bits:

Old 10-06-2011, 01:39 PM
dsfnctn
Instructor

do you also own a real clubsport? I thought I saw someone with a real Club Sport and also one for replicated for the track.
I have a 88 Club Sport and since it is modified and can keep up with anything if you want to work it .The big difference in the 88 and the 80 is the G-50. I run with a 997gt3 and my car is all over the place and I have never even seen his car break a sweat. I do feel it has made me a way better driver than him.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Yep, I have a '88 #5068, one vin number before your '88. But unlike yours she's pretty much stock with exception of a SW chip and a pre-muff. My '78sc is a british Club Sport replica ...white with red accents.

I remember your car well and can only imagine what it is like with the Rothsport built 3.8L, short gears, motons, big reds etc.....that thing ought to fly. Any luck with the sale?

Craig

Originally Posted by dsfnctn
do you also own a real clubsport? I thought I saw someone with a real Club Sport and also one for replicated for the track.
I have a 88 Club Sport and since it is modified and can keep up with anything if you want to work it .The big difference in the 88 and the 80 is the G-50. I run with a 997gt3 and my car is all over the place and I have never even seen his car break a sweat. I do feel it has made me a way better driver than him.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:46 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Nice vid...yep, a 3.6 with 270hp or so in my 2350lbs ought to fly. I actually think I could take another 100lbs out with some work.

Originally Posted by jevvy964
A 3.6 in your car would be a great choice and close the gap between you and the water pumpers. Doesnt need to be a Vram, the 993 non vram is a touch lighter, simpler and gives almost as much power where you are using it on track.

My non vram 89 car is pretty close to GT3 straightline speed but I need bigger tyres and bigger ***** to keep with them in the twisty bits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC4JAKDNy5w
Old 10-06-2011, 02:57 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Nice...that silver car is exactly what I was envisioning. Do you by chance have the Total 911 article?

This is not easy.....I'm going back and forth....keep the 78 and do more to it or go the 964 route.

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Glad you enjoyed....your thread was an ideal excuse to post it up again

I agree that making a full and true cup replica would be an expensive job (and you would never recover all of the money spent) but it would be doable if someone has the inclination because they are least starting with the same shell, engine and gearbox. Certainly more doable and less expensive than say trying to turn a standard 997 into a 997 cup.

With less expense (although still substantial) you can transform a 964 C2 into a 'spirit of a cup car' to produce something that is a lot quicker than a well set up C2. A UK Rennlister (GT two) has done just that. Here is some info on what he's done to it:

http://www.cagedcar.com/

A racing driver friend of mine has driven my own well set up lightly modified C2 around Silverstone GP circuit (it's about a 2'20" lap). On the same spec tyres (MPSCs) he was over 5 seconds slower than he is when in his 964 race car.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Nice...that silver car is exactly what I was envisioning. Do you by chance have the Total 911 article?

This is not easy.....I'm going back and forth....keep the 78 and do more to it or go the 964 route.
Yes I do but it's mostly pictures of the finished car so not really worth scanning to send to you. However, here's the owners (GTtwo - Lee) Rennlist thread about the development which goes in to far more detail:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-project.html

Old 10-07-2011, 12:59 AM
dsfnctn
Instructor

In the end of the day I am building is a car for the track only. I am building a spec 911. It has a 3.0 and I am opening the potential of the motor with a motec system and reducing the weight to around 2,000lbs. I also bought a dodge ram diesel truck and trailex trailer. For me its not about power more about momentum.

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera vs. 964 for the track