Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Jeff777
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem seems to have been the CCU. I sent it to Bergvill FX and they replaced the transistor which was an incorrect part and did some modifications. The battery draw is now 20 ma. Good service at a reasonable price. Thanks Tore B!
Old 07-08-2018, 12:27 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

My door locks flash 22 times before settling down to the regular beat. I have a borrowed CCU to see if that was the problem but it didn't change the drain; the car drains down overnight, battery is new.

Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
My door locks flash 22 times before settling down to the regular beat. I have a borrowed CCU to see if that was the problem but it didn't change the drain; the car drains down overnight, battery is new.

Any ideas?
Nothing worse than electrical gremlins. Check out this thread with some helpful troubleshooting tips from Boxsey911. It could be as simple as turning the interior lights to the off position. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...k-problem.html
Old 07-11-2018, 01:07 PM
Jeff777
Advanced

<div style="text-align:left;"></div>
Old 07-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Jeff777
Advanced

Just wondering, did you go through the process of pulling the fuses one at a time to isolate the drain?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:49 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Tomorrow
Old 07-15-2018, 12:56 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

So far so good, seems like it was door switches. I did tell the indie to check them first but $450 in labor to check the whole system didn't do it. Till we changed the door switches, no charge, 10 minutes.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:47 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
So far so good, seems like it was door switches. I did tell the indie to check them first but $450 in labor to check the whole system didn't do it. Till we changed the door switches, no charge, 10 minutes.
Door switches are very common it seems, also the AC unit fan sometimes is a culprit, i've seen a couple of 964's with switches to cut the power to the whole climate control unit to remedy that issue
Old 07-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

....add glove box and front trunk light switches to the culprit list.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
I have never seen evidence that a voltage drop from a dying battery would fire the cooling fans in the car. The CCU shut off within 20 minutes after ignition off, and it impossible that the fans will start in this condition. This is unless there's an external reason such as a failing fan motor relay.

A malfunctioning rear duct temp sensor could cause the CCU to run the rear fan when the unit is on, and this might in effect empty the battery. The fan motors are drawing around 20A each. The CCU will shut down within 20 minutes anyway, if the battery holds that long.
However, this is mostly caused by a weared-out fan relay, causing it to stick on.

Based on this, I can't see how a CCU job at any price would fix the problem.

Cheers,
Tore
The fan motors must be like 2A each, not 20A?!
Old 07-19-2018, 04:46 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

I am not sure what the exact fan motor rating is, but they two main blowers as well as the rear fan are drawing 15-20 Ampere on full speed. Fuse 1 (30A) is common for the two front fans, and this is also the rear fan fuse rating.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 07-19-2018, 04:58 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ToreB
I am not sure what the exact fan motor rating is, but they two main blowers as well as the rear fan are drawing 15-20 Ampere on full speed. Fuse 1 (30A) is common for the two front fans, and this is also the rear fan fuse rating.
Cheers,
Tore
Thanks! I try to learn something every day! / Jacob
Old 07-20-2018, 04:39 AM
911chick
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I've lurked on Rennlist for years, but finally registered to post this question. I've read many threads on battery drain and haven't seen my specific question. I'll be printing this thread to try things one by one before taking the car into a local independent mechanic. I have a 2001 911 Cab. The PO put in an aftermarket stereo system which had an incorrectly installed ground wire. I had that fixed years ago and it mostly fixed my battery issues. But now, suddenly, if I park the car overnight, the battery acts completely dead and must be jumped. A real pain when the car is in valet parking, I discovered recently. The weird thing is that once it's jumped and running, you can turn it off immediately and it'll start right up. I'll take it to run errands, turning it off every 15 minutes or so, and it always starts up. Parked for 3 hours is ok, 6 hours is ok, but overnight and it's dead.

The headlight/fog light switch/**** is permanently pulled out, so the fog lights are on when the car is on, but that's been like that for 2 years, so I don't think that's it. The one thing I'm not sure of is the locking center console....both of my latches are broken so maybe there's some alarm thing that's getting triggered. Also, I get this weird (usually passenger side) window going up and down an inch or so as the car is starting back up. The "key" button lights flashing on the dash, too. I've been just disconnecting the negative battery cable for now, until I can get the time to just spend all day in the garage. My husband isn't a "car guy", has never driven it, maybe been a passenger once. He's fed up with this and is hinting it needs to find a new home. Help!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:57 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

How old is Your battery? It could be completey shot if seven or even as little as five years old and act as You describe it!
Old 07-20-2018, 02:22 PM
911chick
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
How old is Your battery? It could be completey shot if seven or even as little as five years old and act as You describe it!
Thanks for the input. I had no idea it could still work at all if it was basically dead. The battery is five years old, the car has been driven about 11K miles in that time. (two neck surgeries prevented driving it for a while, sadly) It gets plugged in to a battery tender if it's not going to be driven for even two or three days. When this started happening, we noticed that when we plugged it in, the tender would never cycle to green (indicating it was fully charged). Then I'd start the car, turn it off and it would then show green, as if there was some type of bump needed to push it up. My hubby has been noting voltage when it's plugged in, not plugged in, with negative disconnected, etc. Of course, I can't find that notepaper right now to give you the numbers.

Should I pull the battery and have it tested? I am heading into town to Costco later.

Quick Reply: battery drain