Sponsored by:

Door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:55 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door lock problem

So I found what I needed to repair the door lock, but couldn't fix this issue. I thought putting it all together would get is working, but I guess not. Here is my situation.

The drivers door does not lock using the central locking system. If I push the button, the passenger door locks and unlocks but nothing from the drivers side. If I put the key in the passenger side, I can lock and unlock the door. In order for me to lock the drivers side, I need to get access through the passenger door, reach over and lock the door. Then I can lock the passenger door using the key, BUT when I unlock the passenger door with the key, both the driver and passenger door unlock.

On the driver side, I can unlock the door, but cannot lock it. Also, if I unlock and open the door, the alarm goes off unless I unlock it first from the passenger side.

How do I test if my door actuator is working, what else could it be. What else should I test.

I need to get this fixed quickly as this is my daily driver and not too familiar with Porsches. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a problem with the central locking system. Although not exactly the same symptoms as yours I found there was a significant current drain from the interior lights. Although they were not illuminated they were still pulling 1.4 amps. When I pushed the lights to the off position (rather than the nomal courtesy position), the current drain disappeared and the central locking started working normally again. It's a simple check for you to try.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Boxsey - I tried that and nothing. I've read almost every post about the central door locking and door handles. Can't seem to get it working. I hear the actuators working and tried looking to see if one of the cables is jammed or loose, but nothing.

No one else has any ideas on the types of gremlins I should be looking for???
Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

I went through a lot of those threads too and made a list of things to check out when trying to fix faulty door locks. One I can remember was to remove the door locking **** from the door card and spray with penentrating oil. I'll post the rest of the list I compiled when I find my notes.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

I would appreciate it. I really don't know what else to look for.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:40 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

The threads I found mentioned:

Check fuse #12

Clean up the plug on the central locking module which is under the dash (right hand side on mine)

Check door microswitches

The door lock actuator can drop and may need to be moved up a bit.

I also found this on another forum: "Part of the door locking mechanism uses a rod system which in cars as built is a threaded rod with screwed on plastic ballconnectors which " plip " onto the steel ball ends,These can stretch with age and cracks appear in them.the replacement part is now a complete plastic moulding which replaces the steel rod as well.These operating links can cause many locking problems."
Old 07-27-2010, 12:04 AM
T2aki
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same issue today. Please tell me how you fixed it.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:45 PM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar problem and found a thread on cold solder joints that can affect the control module. Just to rule this out as a problem I pulled the Central Locking Module, took it apart, and resoldered some of the joints. After putting it back the locks worked fine and I have not had any trouble since. Mine is a '90 and the module is under the passenger side of the dash - it may be different from 91 onward as I believe the module is under the passenger seat.

Quick Reply: Door lock problem