Sponsored by:

Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Won't Start

Here's the situation. Took the car outside for a quick light wash, started just fine. Went to put it back in the garage, nothing. It only briefly clicks, and the starter does not engage.

I've checked the fuses and so far so good. Changed the DME relay to a spare, no change in status. Load tested the battery, all is well. Battery connectors appear good.

It drove fine earlier when I took it out for a club event, and now this.

Anyone have insight on what else to check?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:04 AM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a shorted solenoid if it doesn't even turn over or check the engine ground wires. I hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
trevort (09-23-2021)
Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

load test battery - does that mean you took it out of car and tested it? and it was fine. I usually end up installing a battery i know is good just to make sure. if you have power and clicking it looks like starter/solenoid or connections.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I would suspect a fault with your starter or its solenoid. I've had luck hitting starters with a hammer while someone turns the key. If the solenoid is stuck, the hammer hit can loosen it up. Unfortunately, this is only a temporary solution. If this is the problem then you need to replace the starter.

Before you do that, I would check your grounds. Remember they are two. One at the battery and the other between the starter and the bottom of the car.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careful!! Check the simplest things first... in this case, your battery, as carlkskisWP above points out. Classic symptoms of a failed battery or corroded connections. If you do get around to the starter, please don't "hit" it with a hammer. Light taps is all it usually takes.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carlskisWP
load test battery - does that mean you took it out of car and tested it? and it was fine. I usually end up installing a battery i know is good just to make sure. if you have power and clicking it looks like starter/solenoid or connections.
Yeah, took it out and put the load tester on it and it's holding the charge just fine. We did test the alternator's output when we replaced the battery, which was in the last three weeks. All accessories work.

Will try giving light taps on the starter solenoid after checking the ground straps (ground at the battery is clean).
Old 08-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

It's the solenoid. Tapped on it, got it to partially engage. The starter is getting power, so I'm ordering a new one and will get it installed. Should help the slow start issue too, I'd imagine.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:05 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad it was something simple.

Quick Reply: Won't Start