Sponsored by:

to engine experts: camshaft difference from left to right

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to engine experts: camshaft difference from left to right

noticed that camshafts are not the same on both sides, anybody knows why? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:00 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't the power steering driven off the end of the right side cam?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Isn't the power steering driven off the end of the right side cam?
Yes, 'ceptin fer the RS and RSA.

Note also that a majority of European tracks are run clockwise. This leads to differing fuel entry/mixing rates at the left-right cylinder banks.

For this reason, lift and duration are altered on the left intake lobes by just a bit.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Note also that a majority of European tracks are run clockwise. This leads to differing fuel entry/mixing rates at the left-right cylinder banks.

For this reason, lift and duration are altered on the left intake lobes by just a bit.
OK, so that must be the same reason why the engine/transaxle is offset by 4" to the right.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 AM
bassam
Rennlist Member

The lobes are positioned differently by more than a bit, Bruce Anderson and Wayne Dempsey talk about the differences to differentiate right from left but they don't explain why.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:06 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

It's a fairly simple one to answer.

The camshafts both rotate in the same direction (anti-clockwise at the timing chain end) with the valves on the opposite sides of the camshaft centrelines. As a result the left cam opens intake valves 1-3 by wiping the follower from the bottom edge of the pad to the top, whereas the right cam opens intake valves 4-6 by wiping the rocker from the top edge of the pad to the bottom. With the exhaust valves operated in the opposite way to the intakes, the relative centrelines of the intake & exhaust camshaft lobes have to be ground at different angles to achieve the same timing on both sides of the engine.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:15 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineMeister
It's a fairly simple one to answer.

The camshafts both rotate in the same direction (anti-clockwise at the timing chain end) with the valves on the opposite sides of the camshaft centrelines. As a result the left cam opens intake valves 1-3 by wiping the follower from the bottom edge of the pad to the top, whereas the right cam opens intake valves 4-6 by wiping the rocker from the top edge of the pad to the bottom. With the exhaust valves operated in the opposite way to the intakes, the relative centrelines of the intake & exhaust camshaft lobes have to be ground at different angles to achieve the same timing on both sides of the engine.
Thanks! very simple now that you explained it
I have a 1989 964 motor, 1 broken head stud all stock that needs a rebuild and I'm trying to see if I can do it myself. engine ran excellent on the track pulling 249hp at rear wheels with wong chip and headers. can I rebuild with all stock parts except for rod bolts, valve springs, head work and cams in addition to motec (does it have to be the most expensive one?) and expect close to 300hp at the wheels? my 993 varioram with wong and headers is pulling 281hp at the wheels, I have a 6 speed and short gears (144mph max speed)
Appreciate your reply!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:36 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bassam
I have a 1989 964 motor, 1 broken head stud all stock that needs a rebuild and I'm trying to see if I can do it myself. engine ran excellent on the track pulling 249hp at rear wheels with wong chip and headers. can I rebuild with all stock parts except for rod bolts, valve springs, head work and cams in addition to motec (does it have to be the most expensive one?) and expect close to 300hp at the wheels? my 993 varioram with wong and headers is pulling 281hp at the wheels, I have a 6 speed and short gears (144mph max speed)
Appreciate your reply!

Yes, over 300hp at the tire is achieveable with the 9m Motec M48 or M84 +1 package.

I recommend that you start with new factory pistons & late spec cylinders (flat top & gasket), fresh narrow seat valve job with new guides, port work (without going larger), a set of Ti retainers & race springs and a pair of Sport camshafts. You can use stock rods safely up to 6800-7000rpm which in any case would be well above the peak hp of the intake system/cam combination. Good headers would be nice but not essential, the stock 964 exhaust minus cat will give the numbers you are looking for.

Quick Reply: to engine experts: camshaft difference from left to right