wants to buy a 964 c-4 1990

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:58 AM
idob
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wants to buy a 964 c-4 1990

HI guys,

I would really appreciate help from members of the forum.
I am planning to buy 964 carrera 4 1990 model with 60,000 miles.
it has been my dream car for a long time.
1.is $22,000 a reasonable price? the car is in a good condition.
2. should i take it to a porsche garage to inspect prior to purchase?
3. what is the car performance from 0-60?
4.anyone knows a garage in the tri state area that can do a good job rebuilding the engine?
5. what should i check when getting the car? ( wheels, engine)
6. maintenance cost per year?
7. could i find a newer porsche engine in a junk yard from a car that was involved in an accident and install it?

thank you
Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Seems ok, depending on what needs addressing immediately. There will be something- it's 21 years old!
2. Yes.
3. sub 6; there's only one shift required.
4. No clue.
5. Search around- there are PPI (pre-purchase inspection) checklists.
6. 0-20k, depending.
7. Sure, anything is possible given enough time and money, but you shouldn't need to at 66k miles unless it was abused and ignored by the POs.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

22k is a reasonable price assuming you don't need a new engine. Shouldn't @60k... what's the story?
Define "tri-state area".
Find a good PPI guy and get a leak down, but it sounds like you've written the engine off?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Surf SD
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I also have been looking for 964's. My take is yes, you must have a PPI with leak down test. If the PPI indicates a top end rebuild is needed, then $22k is waaaaay to much to pay, as there are a few cars on this site for sale that have had the engine work done and are for sale between (asking price) $22-$25k.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO:

1. Depends on what turns up in #2 but likely reasonable
2. Without a doubt, see #5
3. C&D quote 4.7 (R&T quote 5.5), IIRC from when it first came out but I value my clutch too much to see if it is correct
4. I thought that "Tri-State Area" was from Phineas and Ferb
5. See here
6. Figure on $2-3 k depending on how you drive it (but have $10k in the bank for when something expensive breaks)
7. Why? If it needs a new engine then $22k is way too high.

You could always post pictures of the potential car as people here are good at spotting things that look not quite right.

Marc
Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check these items--common issues:

Cylinder head oil leak--has the update been completed

Power steering rack leak

Power steering seal & lines on the motor

Front oil cooler leak

Chain cover(s) leak

Oil line leaks--all of the short lines to oil tank, oil line running from thermostat to oil filter housing, oil line running from oil filter housing to case--all of these lines are twenty plus years old and tend to leak. replacing them adds up quick!

Records, records, records--In my opinion a car priced on the high end should have documentaion of previous repairs and maintenance.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

These are fun. Kind of a "How high is the sky?" question...

Originally Posted by idob
HI guys,

I would really appreciate help from members of the forum.
I am planning to buy 964 carrera 4 1990 model with 60,000 miles.
it has been my dream car for a long time.
1.is $22,000 a reasonable price? the car is in a good condition. Taken on face value, yes.
2. should i take it to a porsche garage to inspect prior to purchase? YES - but do a little poking around with folks here, to get some recommendations for shops. And use info here to narrow your selection of a viable candidate, so you don't waste $$ inspecting a substandard car.
3. what is the car performance from 0-60? As stated in above posts. BTW, you're really not looking at a "dragster" here, so I wouldn't focus on it too much.
4.anyone knows a garage in the tri state area that can do a good job rebuilding the engine? Somebody here will - but, (Laker echo) why be concerned about an engine rebuild on a 60K-mile car? Unless there's some info you've left out here?
5. what should i check when getting the car? ( wheels, engine) Oy... see Marc's link.
6. maintenance cost per year? My '91, which has similar miles and good maintenance, has averaged less than $1500/yr (including tires & fluids)
7. could i find a newer porsche engine in a junk yard from a car that was involved in an accident and install it?
WHAT-IS-UP-WITH-THE-ENGINE???

thank you
You're welcome.

Take some time and do a search here, for "PPI", "rebuild", "new purchase", etc.
You'll find a mountain of good information to pour through.
And post some pics, guaranteed you'll get some good feedback!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
My '91, which has similar miles and good maintenance, has averaged less than $1500/yr (including tires & fluids)
My annual estimate for maintenance may be higher than others as my car is 90% track (which can be harder on the car) so I stand corrected.

Marc
Old 08-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
My annual estimate for maintenance may be higher than others as my car is 90% track (which can be harder on the car) so I stand corrected.

Marc
Not at all, Marc. Your number is probably closer to reality for most. This is truly a "YMMV" figure (sometimes literally). I only do ~3000mi./yr., mostly up and down the freeway, so I figure I'm getting off easy.
I must confess to not having the $10K rainy-day fund earmarked for it, however. Maybe move the decimal point over a couple places. This car is strictly a toy/hobby so, perhaps unwisely, she and I work together without a net.

Quick Reply: wants to buy a 964 c-4 1990