Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADVISE: V FAST ROAD/ TRACK TYRE UK

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Seight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the Bridgestone S02. I'm actually having new rear ones fitted again tomorrow. They are grippy enough for superb track poise and excellent on the road too. They are very predictable on the breakaway and consistent behaviour through the temp range as well.They do wear slightly quicker than some, but they're worth it.
Whatever tyres you want, I know a superb tyre guy in S London who will price them up better then anyone and fit & balance them perfectly (no affilaition).
Old 08-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Babalouie
I'm picking up a set of AD08 Neovas this week, so I'll let you know how I go
Cheers, I'll look forward to that!

Originally Posted by jamest
I would avoid any of the track compound tyres if you store your car outside during the winter and these tyres won't work well at these temps either.
Yup this is also one of my fears. I think the AD08 YOKO are the tyres I'll go with, they're just right.

Originally Posted by clinchy993
D90s and spraying them black for a mean look
Like the sound of that!

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
Also - how would a track tyre like the R888's handle wet weather/slippery surfaces? Surely it would be a bit dicey out and about in poorer conditions on something like that.....given the UK climate is 11mths crap weather and 1mth of good weather...might be worth considering
Well apparently they've good in the wet. But since the tread is not deep and there aren't many to begin with. My research online says they aqua plan on standing water. Coupled with the fact they're very loud for a non dedicated track car, I'm going with the AD08 YOKOs. The treads are deeper so perform very well in the wet, yet retain a very slick surface like R888.

They wouldn't perform better than R888 in the dry, but as an all rounder they're as close to being track tyres without any compromises.

Regarding wear, wet, hot, dry, road feedback, progressiveness, comfort they rate very highly.

Originally Posted by Seight
Whatever tyres you want, I know a superb tyre guy in S London who will price them up better then anyone and fit & balance them perfectly (no affilaition).
Who is this superb tyre guy - may I know? Where in South London is he based...?
Cheers,
Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Seight
Instructor

The place is in Sydenham in SE London called GT Tyres. It's a father and son outfit, they pay great attention to balancing perfectly and take proper care of your precious wheels while doing it. All for a great price. The number is 020 8699 3621. Speak to Graham or his son.
(I'd still recommend Bridgestone S02's and they are N rated for Porsche 964)

Cheers
Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 AM
jamest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Cheers, I'll look forward to that!

Yup this is also one of my fears. I think the AD08 YOKO are the tyres I'll go with, they're just right.
I think the AD08 are only a slightly harder compound than the R888's and, as such, I would expect them to be similarly intolerant of low temps, I believe a standard summer tyre is deisgned to be used at anything above -30 deg C. If you want a single set of tyres to be used throughout the year and for a car stored outside, I would go with a performance oriented summer tyre such as the Bridgestone S02 that Seight recommends. Otherwise, try to pick up a cheap set of wheels wheels from ebay, I found some Cup 2's for £500 which I use as my track wheels.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 AM
jamest
Instructor

Care instructions for the AD08 from Yokohama:
The ADVAN Neova AD08 was developed using high performance compounds which become brittle at low temperatures and therefore should not be used in certain conditions. ADVAN Neova AD08 tyres thus must be stored or used only at temperature at or above -10°C (14°F) to maintain performance characteristics and to avoid any damage to the tyre or injury to persons or property.
Stated at the bottom of the 'Technologies' tab here.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The place is in Sydenham in SE London called GT Tyres. It's a father and son outfit, they pay great attention to balancing perfectly and take proper care of your precious wheels while doing it. All for a great price. The number is 020 8699 3621. Speak to Graham or his son.

Cheers
Thats good to hear, very local to me as well.

Just googled them, didnt realise that was where you meant, drive past them every day to work and back, good to get a recomendation
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been using Yoko AD08's for 2 years for autocross and street and they are outstanding.
In the winter I do store them in the garage. Yoko recommends not using them or storing them below 14 degrees F (changes the tire compound).
Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What other tyre sizes would work on the car?

Fronts 8X18. Rear 9.5.

I'd like to reduce the aspect ratio/ profile, also maybe a tad wider.... (or don't I?)

I'm gathering that 245/ 35 would fit the fronts? Does that mean 225/ 35 would also work on the front?

How about 265/ 30 rear?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 08-24-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Cheers
+1 on that. I had the S02s shipped from the UK to the middle east because there was no N rated tires in the correct size. They handle great and look very period correct - on Cup1s they have enough grip to prevent the car from spinning wheels. Read somewhwere that there is a S03 N rated as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers
I used these guys too and would highly recommend them for price and service.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Come to me, my preciousssss

Advan AD08s are on! in a 255/40-17 and 215/45-17...part of a local forum group buy

Interestingly the AD08s look to be quite similar in tread pattern to the A050 racing tyre, but my first impressions are that they are quite quiet! Not as loud and rumbly as the Michelin Pilot Sports that they replaced.

Gimme a few weeks for the new rubber to bed in, but so far they seem to be grippier than the MPS's (which admittedly were 5yrs old) but the big surprise is that the AD08s aren't wah-wah-wah noisy like motorsport tyres tend to be.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:47 AM
anto1150
Pro

Baba,

interested on your feedbacks about AD08s...

Have those R888s been taken off your car? Could you compare the 2?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 how are the AD08,s ?

There no1 in my search for the best road/track tyre at the moment.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Have you guys considered the Hankook R-S3 or Dunlop Star Spec?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 964russ
+1 how are the AD08,s ?

There no1 in my search for the best road/track tyre at the moment.
Originally Posted by anto1150
Baba,

interested on your feedbacks about AD08s...
Okay, well bear in mind that my only point of reference were the Michelin Pilot Sports that were on the car when I got it.

I haven't had the car on the track yet, but for the street, the first thing I noted was that that were quieter than the Michelins. I was sort of expecting a lot of buzzy humming like you get with more aggressive track tyres but these are pretty streetable.

Dry grip, definitely a step up from the old Michelins (which also were well...old). Balance seems a bit different, rear grip is much more pronounced, and it's harder to break traction. I now have to turn the car in harder on the brakes as a result.

Wet grip, is also pretty good. Haven't noticed any aquaplaning or weird behaviour...so overall I'd say that these don't really seem like motorsport-oriented tyres, they just feel like expensive performance tyres.

I've heard that they are just 1s a lap slower than R888 though, so I'm keen to see if that's true

Quick Reply: ADVISE: V FAST ROAD/ TRACK TYRE UK