Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aussie 964C2 Maintenance Diary (pic heavy!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Looking forward to the trans mount how-to as I'm assuming you're going to do it while the engine/trans is in the car.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vandit
Looking forward to the trans mount how-to as I'm assuming you're going to do it while the engine/trans is in the car.
Yes that's the plan, to do the swap with the trans in place....just need a bit more time to psych myself up to it
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressive diy work, especially the sunroof.

You are very thorough with your pics and descriptions. I thought these cars were relatively simple but it appears they are as or more complex than my similar vintage 944 s2
Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Simple is not a word I would use to describe a 964
Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Thought I'd try this stuff.

It's a sealant that you apply to your wheels, and some pretty bold claims are made about it. Supposedly it's like a polish which brake dust won't stick to. So the wheel stays cleaner and you just hose off any brake dust when you wash the car. Pretty cool if true.

My wheels are in pretty decent shape and the shape of the cups makes it easy to clean anyway. But...I dunno if my car is typical of the breed or not, but 3 days after washing the car, the wheels are dirty with brake dust and look like they need cleaning again. So if this magical product makes your brake dust just fly off the wheels as you drive, then I'm all for it (no affiliation of course, I paid full price).

First you clean the wheels normally, but some of the wheels had some fine scratches, so I had to do some paint correction first.

I use this stuff, which I think isn't actually abrasive (I think...) but rather it simply digs the dirt out of the scratch so that it isn't so visible.

But it works.

Then spray on the Premium Paint Cleaner. Now this is pretty evil chemical stuff, with a hell of a pong and it must be pretty strong because the instructions come with a warning not to use it on Mitsubishis (really!). So I apply it with the garage door up, and wipe off with the supplied green microfibre cloth.

Then you apply the actual nanolex sealant, using the supplied foam pad. The instructions say to use it very sparingly so you just dribble a few drops on a corner of the pad and smear it as thinly as possible all over the wheel.

Rather amusingly, the (rather stern) instructions also warn you that the sealant has to be buffed off with the BLUE supplied microfibre cloth within a few minutes of application. Otherwise, it'll bond with the paint and only an abrasive cutting compound will remove it

Righto

And we're done.

So here are some closeups. Before, with just regular cleaning.

After the Premium Paint Cleaner spray.

And after the sealant.

The pictures above don't really show the difference very well, but as a polish, it does what it says on the tin, and the wheel does noticeably become shinier as you buff off the sealant. It's kinda a plasticky looking glossiness though, so I am not so sure if it would look so good on the body of the car, compared to a nice carnauba polish which will look warmer. But it sure is reflective.

Then again, applying conventional polish to the wheels will make it shinier anyway. I'm more interested in whether it keeps the brake dust at bay. Will report back with results at the end of the week
Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been thinking of popping my wheels off for a good clean inside the rims as well so would be interested to see how effective this is!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 AM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by Babalouie
I think a standard 4 pin relay will plug into the stock relay socket (I'm not 100% sure, but looking at the stock relay right now it might work).....

In the stock relay, this ground is the 85 & 85c wires that go back to the CCU (yellow wires in my diagram). So in other words, the stock relay is wired up a little backwards in that what normally goes to earth, actually goes to the CCU first and then to earth. My concern with letting the coil current go to the CCU, is because if you look at the wiring diagram, you will see that there are 2 resistors right next to the 85 & 85c terminals inside the relay. I get the feeling that maybe they are there to reduce the current that goes back to the CCU, and if we just let the coil wire earth thru the CCU without any limiting resistor, maybe we will fry something in the CCU Hence the decision to make a new wire going to a body ground is the safer one

Baba,

I did this mod yesterday and it works great!

I confirm a standard 4 pin relay fits perfectly in the stock socket.

There is one thing, though, that might be improved: the hammer keeps giving foult codes due to missing blower. Could be interesting if we could fool it...
I thought we could connect a 77 ohm (this is what I measured in the old relay) resistor from pin 87 of the new relay to the WT/BK and WT/BL (85 and 85c of the old relay) cables. Do you think it could work?

ciao
Anto
Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

I took apart the melted old relay and you can see the 2 little resistors here:

And yes they are 75-ish Ohm when you measure it.

Well, I suppose that in theory... ...if you hooked a 75ohm resistor in line with a wire going from 87 to 85 & 85c pins, it should exactly replicate what happens with the stock wiring and blower in place.

So it should work...you may incur the wrath of the "If It Ain't Broke Gods" though
Old 10-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Time to report!

After a week of commuting, the wheels have a healthy coating of brake dust.

I'd say maybe it's a little less black than usual, but as you can see it's definitely dirty enough to notice.

And does it just rinse off? Well aaaaalmost If you focus on the finger smudge in the bottom of the wheel it's almost all gone but no cigar.

Definitely no cigar

That said, it is noticeably more silky ans easier to wash, with the brake dust coming off on the first wipe of the sponge.

So I guess it's fairest to say that if you're the kind of person who religiously washes their car every weekend, then you probably don't have much to gain from this product...but if you don't have to time to regularly clean your car, and scrubbing the wheels is a chore, then this might make life a lot easier.

Last edited by Babalouie; 11-05-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:24 AM
f3nr15
Racer

Hey Babalouie,

I was watching the vid waiting for a once over of the beastie!

Anyway, on to an unrelated matter...

There's a decal on the underside of my rear deck-lid that has shrunk and wrinkled over time, prob with the engine heat. It's specific to the Aussie market cars, and has the part number 964.006.107.06. Do you have the same sticker? I know that you have a friend in the local P-car industry, was wondering if you could check with him if replacement stickers are available?

No urgency, and only if you don't mind.

Regards,
Pete
Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by f3nr15
There's a decal on the underside of my rear deck-lid that has shrunk and wrinkled over time, prob with the engine heat. It's specific to the Aussie market cars, and has the part number 964.006.107.06. Do you have the same sticker? I know that you have a friend in the local P-car industry, was wondering if you could check with him if replacement stickers are available?
Ah yes, a big rectangular yellow sticker, saying that the car complies with Australia Design Rules? Just checked with my friend, and that part doesn't come up on their parts system, so I would say it's no longer available.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 AM
f3nr15
Racer

Okay, thanks for checking. Will have to try and preserve what's there.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 AM
falcor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you make a simple drawing with the dimensions and take a photo of it I'm sure an advertisingshop could print/make you a new one. Would probably cost more that what is reasonable tho but you never know.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:17 PM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by Babalouie
I took apart the melted old relay and you can see the 2 little resistors here:

And yes they are 75-ish Ohm when you measure it.

Well, I suppose that in theory... ...if you hooked a 75ohm resistor in line with a wire going from 87 to 85 & 85c pins, it should exactly replicate what happens with the stock wiring and blower in place.

So it should work...you may incur the wrath of the "If It Ain't Broke Gods" though
I tried the resistors route and... nothing! Still get foult from the Hammer.
Assuming the standard cabling (and relay), how can the CCU read a missing fan? I don't understand where it gets the signal from...
Old 10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Maybe it's a residual fault code. Ie, you need to reset the fault codes, and then try again?

But you're right, the only other thing I can think of is the downtube temp sensor, maybe the ccu throws a code is that is unplugged too.

Quick Reply: Aussie 964C2 Maintenance Diary (pic heavy!)