Sponsored by:

letting your car idle long time

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 AM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default letting your car idle long time

I hear different opinions ? As you are not meant to idle your car for extended times ( bad for cams) ? What do other people do ? I leave my car on idle to reach operating temps when doing DME adaptations which my car needs everytime after battery disconnected.

My PST2 tester will not release the software to do adaptation until the car has reached operating temps. Infact the porsche tester screen actually tells you to let car idle until operating temp has been reached ?

My car drives like a pig stalling at everystop sign until the DME reset is done. it stalls as soon as I let go of the throttle unless I do DME reset.
What does everyone else do ? Also what about when you are stuck in traffic & at a crawling pace ? In theory you are nearly at idle ?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

+1 DME adaptation with Hammer is essential.

the battery disconnection technique for resetting the DME is a joke with my car. does not work.

there is no way you can check the oil temp without letting the car idle for a long long time unless you have a racetrack nearby for some 5000+rpm laps.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to make a clear valve cover and watch the cam at idle .
I've run other cars with a valve cover removed , its always an oily mess , oil spray goes everywhere .
Old 07-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

FWIW: disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting always resets the DME on my car. Your results, of course, may vary. Personally, I don't think letting the car idle for anything much over a few seconds does the car any good or harm, but then that's just been my experience with cars, trucks, etc. for 50 years. Just wastes gas. If you want to get the engine to operating temps, you need to drive the snot out of it if ambient temps are cold, not so much if ambient temps are high as they are today. This usually takes me 30 minutes of extended driving and sometimes even that is not long enough. Again, depending on the ambient temps, I can't get the engine oil hot enough even to check the oil level unless the car has first been run hard enough to get the oil thermostat opened.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I've let mine idle for 30 mins at a time, if I do start her during the winter, I want to be sure that no residual water remains in any system and the only to do that is let her run until the thermostat opens, and the oil cooer fans start.
Though I don't do it that often.

Kevin
Old 07-19-2011, 03:47 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't see the point with idle for 30 min to check the oil level. If the thermostat is open, which it should be after 10-15 min of normal driving, the oil is warm enough for an oil check.

Thomas
Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

when the thermostat opens my oil level will be in the red, but then when the oil temp guage is at 9 o'clock then the oil level guage shoots up to about half-way which is perfect for me.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 PM
CBR786
Pro

+1 on that my gauge is the same goes in the red but once car warms up it rises about a 1/3 to half way up.
What I don't understand is the porsche factory tool on screen menu commands you to start car & let it idle until operating temp is reached before commencing DME adaptation.
If it is bad for engine surely this software would have been rewritten ? I.e start car go for laps round your race Track changing gears with out stopping then once warm if DmE reset is required bring car In to the pits & perform reset lol.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

The concern with idling for a long time, is the lack of splash lubrication causing more camshaft wear than normal. I guess if you're really concerned, holding the revs at say 2500rpm every few mins would do the trick.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owners manual states to avoid idling for prolonged periods. I feel better when oil pressure is cushioning at 5 vs. 2 bars as there's less likelyhood of metal touching metal.

Quick Reply: letting your car idle long time