Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door window scraper(?) seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 PM
falcor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water will always get into the doors, they're not designed to be waterproof.
Most likely its the feltstrip that keeps water in it and smears on the window.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:41 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

above, when I asked they are designed to be wet doors, not waterproof.

I took my panels off and was quite amused to be able to see the road when driving..........no speakers, or anything, just red doors and the roadside moving underneath.

kevin
Old 07-22-2011, 10:05 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's exactly what you want, really- it'd be an engineering nightmare to keep the water out. Better by far to simply allow it to pass thru.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

I have my door cards off at the moment for fabric upholstery - I went to a car wash, and was amazed at how much water was on the inside of the plastic vapor barrier afterward. pools at the bottom of my door, on the inside of the car, and water coming down the front of the door, on the inside, and water down the center...

So it's time to replace the scraper and felt - but what about the front of the door?

my new cards (the old ones had.....water damage) are blanks from sierra madre (which btw were labels as 911/930 and will work fine with a few small cuts as they are close to identical) and anyway they are cardboard and not even remotely water resistant. So somehow I need to take care of the water issues before putting the cards w/fabric on...the vinyl didnt show any signs of water problems - the fabric will get bad fast I think...
Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

It's the plastic membrane that's supposed to keep water out, but over time the plastic shrinks and/or the adhesive gets hard and the membrane pulls away from the door. New membranes are available, and my intent is to bolster those with additional plastic arranged in a shower-curtain-like fashion that will prevent water from passing the inner metal panel.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 AM
jody stowitts
Racer

So, this "cautiously prying-up the black metal strip" to repl. the rubber felt backed "squeegie" with a thin bladed screwdriver is done from the inside side of the door with the window down all the way? And do I need xtra clips and the little round donuts they pop into to reinstall? Or am I "all wet" on just how to proceed (no pun intended)? dcAutomotive's illustration and commentary says there are 14 (seven/side) clips and small grommets(?) to affix the strip. (?) thanx
Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 AM
jody stowitts
Racer

P.S., replacement inner door membranes available through Ecklers Automotion are much, much more reasonable $ than Porshe OEM's.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

I pry up the metal trim starting at the end of the door, gentle work with a thin screw driver from the end of the door, tuck the tip under and lift rather than lever against the door skin, to get an initial lift then fingertips the rest of the way, trying to minimise bending of the strip.

The squeegie/felt strip comes with the clips, they are embedded in the strip.

Last edited by alexjc4; 03-27-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

This was good information. My RS-door pull strap always gets wet when I wash the car and drive in rain. I thought it was the membrane so this winter I repelaced it but after reading this thread I realise it is the felt seal that is shot. I didn't know about this part but now I've ordered a set of two scrapers, and two felt seals. It will be interesting to see the condition of my old felt seals.

Great info!

Thomas
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Goughary
Race Car

I ordered mine from sunset yesterday - those guys are very very helpful.

I'm still confused on the felt replacement. I understand how to get the outer strip up to replace the scraper, but the felt is down inside the door - so how does the old one come out and the new one go in? Anyone?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

It is a bit tricky, you wind the window right down and work from above to lever out the poppers from their holes. The annoying bit is the felt is so degraded that it will fall to pieces and end up in the bottom of the inside of the door, so you then need to blow/scrape all the bits out via the drain holes, otherwise they'll be a rust trap.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Goughary
Race Car

so the felt strip is just snapped in as well?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

well I didn't replace mine, felt they were too expensive for the small improvement they give over the out rubber seal, so I can't guarantee it, but yes that's the design, they're just pop fasteners.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM
jody stowitts
Racer

Goughary: I think alexjc4 is talking about the felt liner on the "inside" of the glass. But the outside scraper does have an inner lining of felt(?) just below the edge that does the actual "squeegie-ing".
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Goughary
Race Car

interesting...I wonder what i ordered then? I told the guys at sunset basically I needed all of it...lol...

well - i'll replace what they send, and then replace more if I need to - gotta keep the water out from behind the carboard door cards...

Quick Reply: Door window scraper(?) seal